Try again…new snowboarder need help picking 1st board

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

MMADude

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-01

Posted: 04 February 2011 06:21 PM

Just joined this forum after snowboarding for the 2nd time this past weekend (1st time was 9 yrs ago!)

I’m a late starter (41 yrs young) and on the 2nd day (on the “bunny slope”) I finally got my turns good enough to where I looked like I (somewhat) knew what I was doing.

My question is, what is a good board to start with and will stay with me into intermediate skill?

I am 6’2 192lbs, size 10 shoe and ride goofy foot.

I used a Burton Board size 155 (not sure what model) but know by some of the size guides that I could/should be using anything from 157 to 162+ with a mid-wide.

Here are my initial prospects (any other suggestions are appreciated):
Burton Process V Rocker
K2 Raygun

not sure on what bindings or boots, so suggestions for those would be great as well.

Thanks

p.s. will mainly be riding parks

Thanks

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 04 February 2011 06:45 PM

Welcome back to the wonderful world of snowboarding!

Yeah size wise you should be riding in the region of 162 for all mountain.

To start with check out this article and the board suggestions in the bottom image - link here

As well as those boards and the K2 Raygun and Burton Process which you listed earlier, check out the Apo Line Rocker, Rome Manual, Ride ANtic, K2 Anagram, Atomic Hatchet and Head Matrix. Have a read about them and then let me know which boards catch your fancy and I’ll try to go into more detail abou the boards.

Rich

MMADude

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-01

Posted: 04 February 2011 08:13 PM

Thanks…

I checked out the other boards and here are my favs:

APO Line Rocker (comes in a 160)
Atomic Hatchet (comes in 159)

and I still like:
Burton Process V Rocker (162)
K2 Raygun (161)

Like a board to ride parks and to stay with me through intermediate skill.

Also some recommendations for boots and bindings for these boards. (size 10 shoe)

Thanks

alika

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 9 Joined 2011-01-24

Posted: 04 February 2011 09:07 PM

I bought Forum Legend boot us size 10 and it is awesome I really liked it. I also tried Thirty Two ultra light but it doesn’t made me comfortable because of the wide of my feet. So nobody can make a good recommendation for the boots I think. All boots will change feet by feet.

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 05 February 2011 05:44 AM

I jumped on both the Raygun and Process V-Rocker a couple of weeks ago…  would have to give the nod to the Raygun for an all-mountain cruise.  The Process V-Rocker is loose, not saying it’s bad…  it would destroy in the park, but all around the Raygun rocker is more versatile in my opinion.

Ah, shit balls…  p.s. riding parks eh?  Missed that, so reverse the selection then…  Process wins!  Yeah! :)

MMADude

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-01

Posted: 05 February 2011 07:29 AM

Cool.
What about the Sierra Crew?
Also, an “expert” I was chatting with somewhere else (may have been on Sierra Site) said that a 158 size board is good for me (I’m 6’2, 190+ lbs)
I’m now confused on size.

What are good bindings?
If I go for the Process V Rocker, I assume I get Burton Bindings.
What about the K2 Raygun?

Thanks again

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 06 February 2011 08:02 AM

Being that you are primarily riding park 158 won’t be bad…  slightly shorter will give you more spin-ability and easier manoeuvrability in the park.

The Process uses Burton’s awesome Channel system so you will need to get bindings that use it.  I like the Mission binding…  the Mission EST Cant Binding is pretty sweet.  EST means no hard material between your feet and the board so you’ll feel more (might take some getting used too).  Cant I believe means the footbeds are canted which is anatomically better for your knees…  something I really dig about Ride’s footbeds.  You can upgrade the footbeds in the Mission too so you aren’t stuck with the stock ones.  And I love the Channel, 2 screws to adjust ANY position on your bindings…  nothing on the market touches it.

With the Raygun you have a lot more options due to it’s 4x4 inserts…  pretty much anything you want.

With MMA in your name did you watch UFC 126?  Sick event… :)

MMADude

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-01

Posted: 06 February 2011 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info.

Of course I watch UFC.  (been watching since UFC 2)
I thought it was ok except for the Donald Cerrone Fight, Kingsbury, and Silvia Fight.
Oh, Jon Jones looked good as always

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 06 February 2011 08:48 AM

It was pretty good considering the hype around it.  Been watching since UFC 50’ish…  try to catch the Asian events but have fallen off those since Dream 4 or so.

Hopefully will be in Toronto for UFC 129…  if, IF, I can get tickets. :)

MMADude

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-01

Posted: 06 February 2011 06:23 PM

Yeah, it looked better on paper.
Thought Franklin/Griffin would’ve been way better.

Japan’s “Pride” were really good shows back in the day.  Check those out if you get a chance.

MMADude

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-01

Posted: 06 February 2011 09:08 PM

Hey Steve (or anyone for that matter),

what do you think about Never Summer Boards?

Would the EVO be a good choice?

(I like buying local - I live near Boulder)

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 06 February 2011 09:38 PM

NeverSummer boards in general are really great rides! And with the Evo you picked one of our favourite boards this season. It’s really great in the park but can also handle the mountain really well. Check the king of jib video and the review on our website to learn more about it!
What’s it you want to concentrate on, pow or piste?

Cheers.Tobi

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 07 February 2011 04:55 AM

NeverSummer has really grown on me, they are higher priced decks but the construction is fantastic and the reviews are always positive plus they have a great warranty at 3 years.

That being said they use a rocker-camber profile that I have sampled a bit on a Burton Flying-V board and wasn’t as thrilled compared to the K2 flat-kick rocker or Salomon wingtips camber on the Answer.  Basically I prefer boards with flat or camber between the bindings and then earlier raising nose and tail…  seem to me to be more stable in more terrain then the former.

MMADude

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-01

Posted: 07 February 2011 07:45 AM

so just stick with either the K2 Raygun or Burton Process V Rocker then?

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 07 February 2011 11:15 AM

No way, if they are close by give them a ring and see if you can get on the Evo to demo it.  Like zoryfl said the Evo won the best jib stick contest that sb-review did so it needs attention.  I was just giving my two cents, you should really try one as I have heard great things from them.

MMADude

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-01

Posted: 07 February 2011 06:09 PM

ok cool.
Yeah, NS are in Denver and I’m only about 1/2 hr away, so maybe I’ll write them and see if I can demo one.

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

Search the Forum: