Posted: 18 December 2009 10:22 PM
hi Rich,
I am going for all-mountain board, have those two in mind
i am 182cm, 82 kg, 10 US sized boots advanced rider, this is my 5th season
it looks like nitro has more technology in it
so what do you say?
may be anything else for around 500$
thanks
Posted: 19 December 2009 12:25 PM
Hi Koljjjan,
THanks for hitting up the forum with your question.
OK all-mountain boards at around the $500 mark…. you’re talking about the biggest board category on the planet, so choice isn’t going to be a problem what so ever. But because it’s so big, we can narrow down the search criteria to the perfect choice. Cool if you can answer these questions then that would really help.
Ok number 1: What kind of all mountain riding will you be doing? Are you an all out freerider who likes to hit the odd park jump? A pipe Junky who just loves laying down the occasional rooster tail? A jib meister who loves rails, boxes and kickers but doesn’t want to be confined just to the park or a backcountry kicker rider who needs a board that’s good off kickers but is a performer on the pow landings?
Number 2: What kind of flex do you like on your board? Most people like a medium firm flex on am all mountain board, torsionally and longitudinally. If you just note what board you’re riding at the moment and let me know if you want to go softer or stiffer longitudinally and torsionally that will help big time.
Number 3: You’be listed two cambered boards above. Are you looking at cambered boards only or would you considered a rockered board, or a hybrid rocker camber board?
Number 4: Which country do you live in? All well and good finding you the perfect board but if you live in Alaska and the brands only available in Germany, you might well hate me!
Number 5: Where do you ride. No point suggesting a board rockered to the nines for uber powder float if you’re riding east coast US hardpack and windblown ice all season.
Number 6: What length board are you riding at the minute? Looking at your stats, I’m thinking you should be on a 159 - ish. Were you thinking longer or shorter?
Number 7: How often do you ride and how long do you usually hold onto a board for? Doing seasons where you ride everyday, you see some brands are dead and soggy within 15-20 weeks of riding every day, these boards might be the business if you’re riding the board for 10 weekends a year and holding onto the board for a couple of years, but if you’re getting out everyday and only got enough to buy a board every couple of years, there are certainly some brands which are more durable than others, and some brands which have longer warranties than others.
Right I think that’s about it.. see how you get on with those and I’ll get back to you with some suggestions.
Rich
Posted: 19 December 2009 06:47 PM
Hi Rich, thanks for prompt reply
I will answer to your questions in following sequence
4 - I live in Russia, Siberia region. We have here most snowboard brand in stock so I hope it will be not a problem to buy anything. If it will be a problem, I will ask my friend in US to buy board and send me via courier or I will buy it in internet-shop.
2 – I ride K2 recon riser 161 http://www.evogear.com/snowboards/k2-recon-riser-snowboard-2007.aspx?avad=6909_e6873b7&utm_source=AL&utm_medium=Affiliate&CMP=AFC-AL
I find it too heavy for jumping, and it is directional, that’s why I think I am stuck in freestyling, but it’s good on the hard piste. I prefer medium-firm flex.
1 – on the territory of my city there are several slopes with piste only, usually snow is not natural, so these slopes are very hard and icy. 40 km away there are slopes with natural snow, and in area of 500 km there are many semi-wild slopes with much snow! And even powder paradises like that - http://www.priiskovy.ru/content/view/99/1/. I mostly like freeride but I can’t go for it more often then once per month. So most often I ride nearest slopes, jump. I don’t jib at all. So I am looking a board firstly for freestyling on hard piste and freeriding. For powder I will keep my K2 recon riser.
3 – I will consider any shape if it really works
5 – as I said, we have here different types of slopes
6 – 161 now, but I think slightly shorter will be better for freestyle, maybe 155-157
7 – I ride at least once in the evening during the week and every weekend also. From November till May.
Posted: 19 December 2009 06:56 PM
And what bindings do you suggest? My Ride EX is nearly dead
I would prefer lightweight and sturdy to those bindings with too many adjustments causing excessive weight and fragility and weakness
Posted: 19 December 2009 08:18 PM
Hi Koljjjan,
Wow I had a look at the resort you posted a link to… It looks absolutely incredible. I’d love to take my 164 rossignol Twilight there! Have yoy ridden there on big powder days? Can you actually ride there from November to May?
Anyway back to boards. From what I can gather these are your requirements:
* An all mountain board with a freestyle focus, for kickers rather than jibs.
* A board that has grip on ice because the snow can get pretty hard and icy.
* A firm flex.
* You ride a lot of weeks in the year so you need a durable board. And a warranty isn’t a priority as it’ll be a pain in the arse sending back from Siberia.
* You want to ride a board with a slightly shorter length because you think it might help you progress your freestyle riding.
So to start with, the Prolight and the Corporate are fantastic boards and have the qualities you’re looking for. If you’re slightly worried about your boot size you could look at the Blacklight which has a littlw more width at the waist. The Prolight is a little bit more speced up than Corporate, but the Corporate is an enjoyable ride and the shape means it’s pretty capable out of the park. Other boards I’d have a look at are:
Rossignol JDub: THis is an all out freestyle gun. It’s my current ride. Really snappy and responsive thanks to carbon and triax glass and damp and grippy thanks to Magnetraction edges and kevlar reinforcement, and it’s completely bombproof. I’d only advise riding this board if you life stiff boards as it’s not particularly forgiving and doesn’t really do smaller jumps.
Contract Guerilla: New Polish brand Contract have got a little gem up their sleeve with the Guerilla. Their new snake transition 3d wave technology, means you get increased torsional stiffness and grip like magnetraction, and the TRIP technology raises the effective edge at the start and the end. I excited about testing this in February, but the few that have ridden it are singing the boards praises. Not sure if they have distrubution in Russia yet as they’re only in their first year.
Amplid Falcanoid: Backcountry kickers and general high speed freestyling is what this board was built to do. Capable at high speed and more pop than a fireworks factory. Made in the Elan factory too, so it’s well built!
Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Pheonix or Lando Pheonix: These boards are rockered between the feet which gives them float in powder and a playful feel. They also have Magnetraction edges (a wavy edge that helps the board grip in ice).
Yes 156.5: the waist might be a little narrow on this at about 24.8 cm… im not sure as my feet are only one size smaller and it was fine for me. You’ve probably read about Yes. The old Burton Uninc riders started YES this year with the help of Nidecker. They use the new Camrock profile which improved powder float and playfulness. Camber between the feet improves the grip that rockered boards have.. a compromise. The 156.5 also has Ultimate Grip edges which should help you out on the ice. These boards are available in pretty limited quantities.
Atomic Alibi: I’ve been bigging this board up a lot this season. More a medium flex than firm but still really stable at high speed, great grip on ice and loads of pop… very responsive too. Great price point and a real laugh on kickers. With the honeycomb tip and tail inserts the 159 felt shorter than it was… lovely in the pipe and lazy of jumps… nice.
Quite a list there, check them out and let me know what you think.
Bindings wise… I’m a big fan of Union Bindings, simple well made and really light. I’ve just boaught some Drake bindings, really light and well made…. but only just wide enough to fit my Vans in. I try and ride most set-ups with my own bindings so I’m not really upto date with whats hot or not.
Rich
Posted: 21 December 2009 06:55 AM
Hi Rich,
I’m going to this resort in January and February, because it’s almost impossible to ride there in November and December, too much powder. In my region you can ride on most resorts from November till May, I have started this season on the November 14th and going to finish in middle of May!
I doubt that I will manage to find Contract, Amplid or YES snowboards around, so I stopped on RS JDub, Lib Tech Pheonix and Atomic Alibi, still having in mind Nitro Blacklight, Stepchild Corporate. I also found good reviews on K2 Zero and they have it in nearest shop last year model with 30% discount. They also have last year Atomic Alibi with 50% discount. What do you think is it good idea to take last year model, did manufacturer changed anything except paintings?
I really liked he description of RS JDub – magnatraction, kevlar, carbon etc! But i failed to find this board around. What do you mean “it doesn’t really do smaller jumps”?
Posted: 21 December 2009 09:11 AM
where rossignol jdub is made? europe? do you know any internet shops in the country where it is made?
Posted: 21 December 2009 11:09 AM
what I’ve read from your review of RS JDub dissapointes me “fail to wax it and it’ll ruin your day” - I addmit I am lazy to wax board
Posted: 21 December 2009 11:43 AM
The problem with the J-Dub is that the base is so high grade that it just sucks wax in. Don’t let it put you off, if you wax fortnightly in the cold part of the season and wax weekly in the later / warmer part of the season you’ll be fine. I was just thinking, perhaps the Rossignol One is a better choice, slightly less stiff and cheaper, but still has Magnetraction, Carbon and Kevlar. Link Below
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
When I said the JDub doesn’t do small jumps, I mean anything less than an 8m table is too small. The stiffness of the deck means it’s harder to initiate spins. When you take it on 15m+ you’ll really appreciate the stability and pop.
50% off last years Atomnic Alibi is amazing! Yeah the graphics are different, but essentially the board will be very similar in shape and construction. That’s a deal!
K2 Zero was my favourite board at the Kaunertal test and I tried over 60. THe only reason I didn’t list it is because it uses ultra light construction which means the edges are thinner and the topsheet doesn’t look particularly bombproof. But you’d deffinitely get a couple of seasons on one of the best boards on the planet… such a smooth stable riding and forgiving when you need it to be. Great board!
Posted: 28 December 2009 04:29 AM
HI Rich,
Thanks for your assistance! I finally picked a board.
I have checked delivery, custom and taxes expenses and decided to buy board in local shop. Also I will have warranty.
My last decision was K2 zero, Nitro Blaclight or Atomic Alibi. Zero made in China, Alibi is half kilogram more heavyweight then Blacklight, and Nitro has two year warranty.
So I picked Blaclight 157. I have tested it yesterday but I can not say anything right now because I changed my stance to goofy duck -8+8 (my stance was more for carving +30+45) and I was riding with my new K2 Maysis boots which are more stiff then my previous 32 and moreover all day I was practicing to ride backwards. So I felt like I was riding first time in my life!
On the January 4th I am going to resort for several days so I will come back with my review later.
Posted: 28 December 2009 01:12 PM
Hi Koljjjan,
I’m pleased you made a choice… sounds like you made the right choice… the kind of compramise of all of the other boards! Be sure to drop a review on the site when you’ve given her a proper spin! I’m definitely going to take the Prolight out in May! Enjoy the season!
Rich
Posted: 09 March 2010 05:28 AM
Hi Rich,
I was enjoying the season with my new nitro blacklight until last weekend. I really liked it – stiff, fast and good for fun, but have a look on the attached pics. The base is very weak, so I do not recommend to buy boards with base made like mosaic.
Posted: 09 March 2010 10:10 PM
Hey Koljjan,
Unfortunately most sintered bases are made like that, especially when you get a mix of colours. Nevertheless that shouldn’t have happened and it’s the first time I’ve ever seen anything like that. If you haven’t already you should get your board back to the shop you bought it from and get them to warranty it…....I’m sure Nitro will be more than happy to swap it. I can pretty much guarantee that the same thing won’t happen again.
Tom
Posted: 14 March 2010 11:32 AM
Oh yeah… hmm that’s not good at all! Yeah you’ll have no problems warrantying that for sure. I tooo have never seen a base do that before.. that’s an adhesive failure. If you have any problems warrantying it, just give us a shout and we’ll try our best to help. I’m sure Nitro will be happy to replace it though.
Posted: 18 March 2010 06:14 AM
I returned board to the shop and got my money back!
And now looking for the new one…again
I will come back to you for a piece of advice after I will study what they have in stock in nearest shops.
Posted: 18 March 2010 03:51 PM
The saga continue!
Soo stoked you got your money back.. good on the shop, they obviously knew it was a manufacturing defect.
Definitely get back to us when you know what your shops stocking. hopefully we can suggest a board that won’t fall apart!