Best setup for Park progression

newark

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-12-10

Posted: 10 December 2010 01:58 AM

Hey everyone.  This site is amazing!  Hope someone can help me.

I’m 5 foot 10, 140 lbs, 9.5-10 boot; intermediate rider looking to ride park 90% of the time (I can currently only do straight airs off of little kickers, and 50-50s/boardslides on boxes).  I’m not fussy about brand.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated (even about boots/bindings).  Thank you.

Things I want to be able to do well:
* bigger jumps, pipe, spins, grabs
* rails/boxes (50s, boardslides, presses, etc.)
* ride switch, butters
* not eat it almost every time I ride over a big patch of ice

Features I think I want:
* reverse camber
* magne-traction or whatever other brands call it
* true twin

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 11 December 2010 10:10 AM

Hi newark, welcome to the SBR forums!

So you are looking for a park and only park board; didn’t have a post like that for quite some while, hehe.
But why do you think you need magne-traction on it? Not the most useful thing in the park..

Anyway, here we go with some really great park rides:
Forum Scallywag- Rich absolutely loved the Scallywag for it’s incredible jibbiness, although it’s not a total park noodle which allows you to ride the piste from park to the lifts without having sweat breakouts.

Bataleon EvilTwin- a park classic for years! With the TBT tech it’s really hard to catch an edge even when straightlining for a run-in. Rocks the park and handles whatever rail you throw at it!

Amplid Dopamine- Amplids brand new freestyle stick with partial green construction. The Team riders absolutely loved it, unfortunately I didn’t have the chance to test it, yet. But pretty sure it’s a great park ride and won’t disappoint you!

Let me know what you think!
Cheers, Tobi

newark

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-12-10

Posted: 11 December 2010 10:31 AM

I think I just really liked the idea of magne-traction more than anything else.  I like to think that I know what I’m doing, but I really don’t.

I have been researching more and more, and I want a board that performs really well in park, but without limiting me for the few times I enjoy riding elsewhere.  Now I’m thinking 75% park, 25% piste.

I am going to check out all of the boards you mentioned.  I’ve actually been looking into the Rossignol Retox and the Lib Tech Skate Banana too.  Any thoughts?

Curious, how do you like your Nitro Team TLS boots?  I tried on the lower-end Anthems and they’re nice, although harder to find the right size in the states.

Thanks a lot.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 11 December 2010 11:07 AM

Regarding the TLS’S comfort, I really can’t complain; never experienced any heel-lift or pressure at some specific points. Really comfortable! The only thing is that with my ‘10 model of the boot, is the attachment of the strings from the TLS system. They tend to fall out of their clamp if you know what I mean.. man, I can’t really explain.. it’s not like your boot is getting lose or anything, it’s just that the top of the chords slips out of its retainer. Hope you got what I meant to say.
The Anthems aren’t just lower-end, but they are less rigid and therefore better suited for park riding. So I think you should go with the Anthems rather than with the Team which might be a little too stiff for what you are looking into.

Nothing special to say about the SkateBanana. I just wouldn’t like to ride a board that hundreds of others are riding on exactly the same mountain I’m on, as well, hehe. Other than that, it’s definitely a solid board for park riding, although I think it’s not as jibby as the boards I mentioned above.

Cheers, Tobi

newark

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-12-10

Posted: 11 December 2010 11:19 AM

I know exactly what you mean about the boots.  I actually noticed that with the pair I tried on (‘10 Anthem - lower zone specifically).

You got me hooked on the Scallywag now, it looks like the one.  I like the Retox, and I can get a great deal on one, although there are so many positive remarks about the Scallywag.  Another few days of indecisiveness for me. 

Thanks.  Any other input is welcome.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 11 December 2010 12:01 PM

Yeah the retox is more of a big park slopestyle board than it is a jib board. The rocker on it this year is the same as the JDub which means that the board is essentially cambered but has early rise tips that start about 10cm closer to the bindings than a cambered board usually would. The benefit being that you get the grip and pop of a cambered board but with a bit more forgiveness. Rossi rate the flex on it a 7/10 which would be the same as my Angus which isn’t soft, but is great for riding all mountain and park. The board has a core profile that is thinner at the waist for easier presses and the board has Carbon Kevlar reinforcement so It’ll be lively. As I said it’s more of a all round park board for riders with some experience under their belts. I recently watched a video for Oxbow clothing, they were riding at Dachstein, my local glacier park and a guy was riding the Retox and hitting the 20m+ jump doing big spins on his Retox… it’s a serious bit of hardwear. If you want a board for easy buttering and chilled freestyle, I think you’ll find the Scallywag is on the money. If you’re ready to step up your freestyle game then the Retox has the minerals.

newark

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-12-10

Posted: 13 December 2010 10:20 AM

Thanks Tobi and Rich.

I spent the last two days riding a Burton Charger 143cm from the early 2000-era (quite a difference from my normal Sims ?model? 157cm board).  I have performed much better in the park on this tiny Burton than I have on the Sims, which I attribute to its size.  Anyway,

I think the Scallywag is a winner, as long as it can handle the 25% piste I ride.  I think I’m going to try the 151cm, a happy medium between the two boards I have ridden recently.

Once again thanks for all of your help and if you have any further input it would be much appreciated. 
I’m repping this site every chance I get, and I’m waiting to see what you guys come up with on the new-sticker front!  I’ve got some gear with dedicated real estate once I get my hands on some.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 13 December 2010 11:52 AM

Well you could just rent the Scallywag at a testcenter and take it for a spin before buying it. This plan maybe costs you 30bucks or something but you know what you’ll be buying then!

Glad you like the site and the ‘repping’ is much appreciated! I’m also stoked on the new stickers, there just seem to be some problems on the way.. Let’s just wait and see what happens =)

Cheers, Tobi

skip11

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 110 Joined 2010-07-22

Posted: 13 December 2010 06:32 PM

Just another suggetion, people seemed to be stoked on this new Burton Nug. You should check it out. You’re suppose to downsize 8-10cm from your normal boardsize and it has V-Rocker, all the while still being stable at speeds. Dave Downing seem to really like this board on his interview on buoloco.com

newark

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2010-12-10

Posted: 13 December 2010 08:12 PM

Hopefully this week I can hit up my first ever demo day event at my local hill.  I’ve got a lot of riding to do.  Once again thanks for all of your help and any further input is appreciated.

Search the Forum: