freestyle oriented setup

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 21 November 2010 05:49 PM

Hi dudes,
after over 8 years it’s time to replace my old Burton Canyon and lousy flow binding for some new stuff(boots too). I am from Germany so I hope you can forgive me my lack of english skills.

My name is Florian - 22 years old, male, 179cm (5’87feet), 66kg(145lbs) and my boot size is about 44.5(11) and I have about 10 years experience with snowboarding, before that I was a skier, so after all these years of riding I consider myself as intermediate skilled.

Since I had a hard injury some years ago my riding style is pretty careful, I dont go for high speed very often and don’t take the pro line in the park. I love jibbing a lot so I’d like to have a board that is really easy to butter (unfortunately the wide boards are mostly made for heavier riders and atm I lack about 20kg to flex my freeride canyon properly) ^^.
But I also love to go hiking some mountains and go powdering with friends(it would be okay for me if I had to set back my bindings for that) and sometimes I go boarding with skier friends so it should be okay on slopes too(since we don’t have your nice parks in germany anyway), but like I said the focus should be on little jibtricks, some small boxes, rails and kickers but still should be able to float through some pow. Concerning all those things I thought a pretty soft rockered board could be a good option?
Since I am riding switch a lot and love switch landings(maybe 35 to 40%) it should be twin shaped and flexed. I don’t wanna become pro, I’m spinning lousy 360s cuz I don’t have the guts anymore to take bigger kickers so all I want is a board which is really fun to ride and entertains me every second.
Ohh I forgot to mention I also want to use it for snowkiting which leads to off centre landings very often but since I do this really rarely it’s not a really big criteria.


here my try to express it in numbers:

slope 35% (and the pow directly beside it :P this number is just so high cuz of a lack of parks - jibbing a lot here!)
pow/backcountry 15%
Kicker/Pipe 25%
Rails/Boxes 20%
Snowkiting: 5%

Which board binding and boots would you recommend to me and why? My budget is about 1100$ so I think I have pretty good options

I actually did some research myself and got recommendations for those 3 boards:


Lib Tech Skate Banana 153wide (everyone was totally stoked on this but I doubt it’s ability for off centre landings?! (Also I don’t really like LibTechs marketing and the design - though this should not be a real criteria for me)

Never Summer Revolver 153 -NS is not really known in germany so I’d have to import it from the US but it has really good reviews (and I like the design) - I have seen it’s smaller brother winning the jib test video

Burton Hero 152/155 wide (I think the scoop tips and tail could be nice with sketchy landings, but wtf is “twin like shape” how does it feel riding switch? should I go for the 155 or 152 version?
I thought of putting a Malavita EST 09/10 on it which I could have with big discount.

is there another board totally fitting my needs? how much is the weight of those boards? while hiking I am happy for every kg I don’t have to carry up the mountain.


bindings:

For the Burton Board it would be pretty much the Malavita but on the others? What would you choose and why?

I considered through recommendations from friends:
Rome 390boss
Burton Malavita(non EST ofc)
Flux RK30
Flux DS45

I think the flexy highbacks from the Flux could be much fun while jibbing. which binding is the lightest, has the most comfort?

boots:

I thought of Burton Grail/Nitro Team or Recoil whatever fits best - would these fit in my setup?

gloves:

PS: I also need new warm and solid gloves with loads of grip for snowkiting - I saw the Pow Stealth. Are these a good choice?

Thank you so much for helping me and reading my little novel,
Florian

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 21 November 2010 09:19 PM

Hey Florian,

Thanks for using the site…....think this might be the longest post I’ve ever seen!

I’ll give you a really quick answer on all of the above:

Gloves - If you want warm hands and loads of grip I’d go with an expensive pair made from leather and Goretex…..this will also prevent them from wearing-out quickly from kiting. Have a look at the top-of-the-range Burton AK, Analog, Volcom, Dakine and Drop gloves….......or new brand Transform.

Boots - Boots are a personal thing, it completely depends on what shape of foot you have. I’d definitely try Burton, Vans, DC, Forum, 32 and Salomon though. I’ve ridden Vans for the past 6 years because I have very narrow feet and they’re always bomb-proof.

Bindings: Get a medium/stiff binding like the Burton Malavita….....at least if something breaks you can easily find a replacement part. Meduim/stiff bindings mean that you can get a slightly softer pair of boots and your board will be responsive but still jibable.

Boards: If you want a board to handle off-centre landings but want it to be jibby I’d look at either a rockered board with added reinforcements (bamboo works a treat) or a zero camber board. I’d also look at something around the 156 mark…......any freestyle twin you get is going to feel a lot easier to ride then your present board. Below are some good options, unfortunately you’re limited because of the size of your feet:

NS Revolver…....good choice

Salomon Grip 158w

K2 Fastplant 156w

Rossi Decoy 157mw

Rome Agent Rocker 156w


Hope this helps a bit.

Tom

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 21 November 2010 10:07 PM

Hello Tom thanks for your kind answers.

So if i got you right the Pow Stealth could be a good choice because they are made out of leather:
http://www.powgloves.com/stealth.html
otherwise the ak clutch could be a nice alternative right?

Hmm I considered buying a bit shorter board ~153 because my weight is so low and i want it super buttery or would you really recommend me to take such a long ride? I know I am losing a bit of stability and float in pow there but my priority is jibbing ;)

What do you think about the Burton Hero and Skate Banana?

Which of the Bindings I proposed would you chose in my position? I see you seem to like the Malavita, what makes it better then a rome 390boss or a flux rk 30/ds45?

cheers,
florian

PS: the parkstar and fastplant of K2 seem very interesting too but unfortunately the fastplant is pretty expensive and I fear the 156W could be too hard to flex for me.
viewing K2s boardspecs table affirms my fear http://assets.k2sports.com/k2snow/ftpk2snow/2010/files/k2_snowboard_specs.pdf

Dr H

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2010-11-12

Posted: 22 November 2010 02:01 AM

Hi Florian

I’m the same weight as you and the only board I could find that was nice to butter was the Salmon Grip. I tried the 157 and it felt great. I have considered the 154 also but think the extra length on the 157 will make it a better all mountain all condition board.

I didn’t like the Skate Banana on piste as it didn’t feel too stable at speed to me. Great in the powder and easy to press though. I rode a 156 in that.

Also tried the Fastplant and some others. See my post here http://www.snowboard-review.com/forums/viewthread/355/

Cheers

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 22 November 2010 02:56 AM

Hey Florian,

On your description you put rails and boxes at 20%......hence I advised on boards that have better all-mountain performance but are still easy and fun to jib around on. I’m only 68kg and I ride a 157 for everything…....I’ve advised on rockers and zero camber boards because they’re naturally a lot easier to ride, jib and have great float in powder. The reason I’m advising you to buy a slightly longer deck is because it’ll give you added stability, strength on off-centre landings and more versatility on all aspects of shredding.

I really like the Skate Banana but I’d say that the person who considers buying that board would have a 40% focus on boxes and rails, it’s a great board though. The Fastplant might be a bit expensive but it certainly isn’t hard to press or flex.

With regards to the bindings I can only advise on what I’ve ridden…...I haven’t ridden the Rome’s or Flux bindings. Sure they’re sick.

Those POW gloves look dope…..Burton AK Clutch are wicked…...my favourite gloves bar none.

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 22 November 2010 02:29 PM

Thanks for your interesting input guys, I wish they would produce a Salomon Grip in 153Wide..
How large should the waist of a snowboard be with my shoe size(44.5) - I think I could get in trouble with my shoe size on the 154 and 157 one?
I’m usually driving angles around 15 for example 18/-15 or lately 15/-12.

Maybe the numbers I posted are a bit misleading, because the 35% slope stand there solely for a lack of parks in the alps. The way I’m riding slope is like 180° over every small hillock and constantly trying ground tricks like a butter or so. Only sometimes I rush down a slope usually driving with skiers.

This is the style I wanna ride(+Pow+small kickers and rails):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHcn5PvrTAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WLyIMKt5YQ

Ofc my skill level isn’t as high - atm it looks more like that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ogYlYsJ0o

you still think i should go for +155 after watching those vids?

I’m a coward afraid of getting infraction - this is why I want to do big jumps while kite surfing only.

***

In your review your writing you had difficulties to press the Never Summer Evo. I dunno I’m a bit taller than you maybe I could press a slighlty downsized Revolver(153) through my higher balance point but on the other hand the board is wider which leads to more stiffness..I wish I had your shoe size :P

Unfortunately the Never Summer Revolver has a list price of 649€ (887$) in germany, so I think about importing one myself via a cousin living in the USA. Any advices you have for me on that handling all that tax stuff etc and maybe a recommendation for a good shop? I stumbled upon dogfunk.com

Once again thanks for your help guys!

Hugo

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-10-01

Posted: 22 November 2010 06:28 PM

I ordered my NS revolver at http://www.extremepie.com/ from the UK. I got it for 480 euro’s including delivery costs, while it is 650 euro here in the netherlands. Make sure you google for a discount coupon and you will get 10% of the price. For tax, here in the netherlands you don’t have to pay any tax when importing if the total price is below 500 euro. Not sure what it is in germany though.

About the flex of the revolver, I find it really easy to press my 159 revolver. I’m 80 kg and 185cm. It’s a lot easier compared to my Burton Dominant. The rocker between the feet really helps a lot.

Cheers,
HB

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 22 November 2010 07:02 PM

Thanks that was a good advice dumb me didn’t think about ordering in the UK and it’s the same in Germany with EU products I think. Can you recommend me another site from the UK? How much did you pay for the transport? Wrote those guys an email maybe they can help me.

Can you tell me more about the feeling of the board? Especially compared to a Burton Hero or Skate Banana.

Hugo

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-10-01

Posted: 23 November 2010 09:18 AM

I do not know any other sites in the UK. The revolver came out the cheapest here. I did not order anything else from the UK yet. I believe I paid 10 pound for the transport.

About the feel of the board, I only used it indoor till now so I can’t really tell you how it behaves at high speed. As for jumps, butters and rails it’s insane. Very easy to turn, press and spin. Am going to Ischgl next weekend to put it to serious use. As I never rode a Hero or Skate Banana I can’t compare it to those boards.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 November 2010 10:16 AM

http://www.neversummer.co.uk/stockists

You can find all of the stockists here.

I know the guys at Absolute Snow really well and I know they stock NS. I’m sure they’ll bust their balls to find you a Revolver if they can get their hands on one.

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 23 November 2010 08:56 PM

Thanks for your input guys, would love to read a little report from your weekend Hugo.

@Rich
Already checked that page yesterday evening and wrote some emails, I think I already contacted em but if not I will do this later this evening. Do you know if the absolute snow guys can also get their hands on flux and burton stuff?

i play with the thought of buying a flux rk30/ds45 atm. I imagine the Urethane Highback could be really dope and comfortable while jibbing.

Any further input regarding my questions about the Banana and Hero (alternative plan) and my length question(see post #5).
given that the NS revolver is still the best board for me?

Cheers, Flo

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 25 November 2010 03:06 PM

Damn..got only negative answers from european shops my only hope relies on the usa now.
the guys from absolute snow recommended me this one:

http://www.smokinsnowboards.com/snowboards/mens/big-wig

what do they mean with blunt tips there?

what do you think?

greetings, florian


PS: any experiences with dogfunk.com and this shop evo.com ?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 25 November 2010 03:23 PM

Hmm I’m not sure, I have ridden the Smokin MIP and I did like it, but I think if you want to try something different and you have your eyes set on the Never Summer Revolver.. it has to be that board doesn’t it?

Having said that, Mervin C2 banana, Nitro Gullwing and Rome Mtn Pop rocker profile are very similar. Have you looked at the Rome Agent rocker 156W or the Nitro Team 157W?

Rich

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 25 November 2010 03:30 PM

you are right I rly hope I can get my hands on a NS revolver…

I considered those boards but since I’m riding a lot switch I rly want to ride a true twin board and I think I am simply too light for these boards. would you still say the NS revolver is the right board for me after my jib loving confession in post #5? Tom’s words about the skate banana gave me a feeling that there could be a little misunderstanding through my lack of English skills.

Hugo

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-10-01

Posted: 26 November 2010 08:36 AM

The revolver is killing it on jibs. It won this websites king of jib award!

When I bought the revolver my choice was between the GNU Danny Kass C2 BTX and the revolver. I went for the revolver because it’s wider and I have shoe size 12.  The Kass won several awards here in the netherlands. Check the review of the on this site of the 2010 Kass, what I heard here is that it’s the same as the 2011 model. http://www.snowboard-review.com/snowboard_reviews/review/danny_kass_c2_btx/

Personally I don’t want the board to be too soft as I want to ride it all over the mountain at speed as well.

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 29 November 2010 08:40 PM

had a nice weekend with the revolver hugo?

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

Search the Forum: