Back to snowboarding after 7 years…what to buy?

fede

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-10-30

Posted: 30 October 2010 01:01 AM

Hi Guys…I have been 7 years without snowboarding and totally disconected from the market…I am coming back this season…last board I bought was 10 years ago..so you can imagine, I am totally lost as to what board to buy, so many choices and new technologies out there! In my days I couldn´t think about anything else than Burton, only variable being board length…today I am still totally biased towards Burton…

I love riding powder and having fun in the backcountry. Having said that, it will be my only board and I know I won´t always have good powder conditions, so I want a versatile board that I could also have fun in the groomers and take ocassionaly to a park (but should be great in powder!) I guess a freeriding or all mountain board is what I am looking for.

I would say my level is intermediate. I weight 70Kg, height 1.77m, boot size 9.5

The Burton Custom Flying V and the Sherlock got my attention. Any comments on these 2 boards? Seen mixed reviews here and there.

What else would you advise?

Budget shouldn´t be much problem. I want something good that will last.

Thanks guys!

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 30 October 2010 10:20 AM

Hey fede, welcome to the SBR forums!

haha, yeah I can imagine your confusion but don’t worry- we’re glad to help you out with that, that’s what we are here for after all=)

Let me ask, are you like totally biased on Burton or are you willing to accept suggestions from other brands as well?
If you do, you should definitely check out Jones snowboards. With bigmountain legend Jeremy Jones as founder, they are pushing some of the most capable freeride/bigmountain snowboards available on the market!

Also check out the NeverSummer SL; sick graphics, directional twin, equipped with the NS RC rocker tech and a sintered base for speed. Not to forget the 3 year warranty!

To your Burton suggestions: As far as I can see, the only difference between the Flying-V and the Sherlock is that the Sherlock is a true twin and the Flying-V is shapred directional.
Going after Burton’s informations the flex is the same but the Sherlock is provided with a slightly better float in pow and is a bit more capable of park riding whereas the Flying-V is a better piste ride. So it’s basically up to you and your riding preferences.

To quote a part of the NS SL review where Rich compares it to the Flying-V:

The SL feels quite like the Custom flying V which is no surprise as they use similar technology. Comparing the two, the SL needs a stronger / heavier rider to get the most from it, but the damping means it’s a more refined ride at high speed and on sketchy snow. Choose the SL if you want to ride everything but freeriding is your main-stay and the Burton Custom Flying V if pipe and booters are your bag.

Hope this helped a bit, cheers Tobi

fede

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-10-30

Posted: 30 October 2010 04:28 PM

Thanks Tobi! That was a good advice.
Of course I am open to other brands other than Burton…thing is that Burton was almost the only choice when I started snowboarding in South America and what I´ve allways used, so it stuck in my mind…

Your suggestions about Jones snowboards and Never Summer are most welcome. Do you suggest me any particular model from Jones?

Let me know if you have any other brand/model to suggest. I will be visitng some stores during the weekend, I might come back with more questions.

Thanks!

fede

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-10-30

Posted: 31 October 2010 09:07 PM

Tobi,
I liked what I read about the NS SL and loved the graphics…I am in Europe, it is selling 100Euros more than the Custom FV and 170 more than the Sherlock…I am just wondering if it is worth to pay the difference…

On the other hand, I read this review:  http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/Forum/2011-boards-a-review-of-some-of-next-years-toys/ThreadID/33850/ShowThread.aspx

It doesn´t speak too well about the Flying V but yes about the Sherlock and the NS SL. Quoting them “...The Custom and Easy Livin’ seem to use radial sidecuts despite all the profile changes going on, whereas the Sherlock through a combo of its deep sidecut and new ‘Side effects’ (lengthening of the surface area of the nose and tail surface areas) seems to blend the new profile to its full advantage. Interesting that Rome with their Agent Rocker and Never Summer with their entire range, have come up with new multi-radii sidecuts to suit the new camber/rocker profiles after deciding that a classic radial sidecut didn’t work. Hmmmm…”

If you go to the link you´ll read what they say about the Custom Flying V

This thing of the sidecuts combined with the profile changes is too technical for me to understand, but maybe it makes sense….Heard about some guys not liking the Custom Flying V also…Sherlock and NS SL might be good choices…

I know, best would be to test ride, but I doubt I can have access to that were I am living now…

any comment???

thanks!

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 01 November 2010 12:01 AM

Hey there,
I just skimmed through the article you posted.. well it’s not really what Rich felt when he tested the V-Rocker but testing is always a subjective thing, so.. it’s always best to test yourself. If that’s not possible, go with the ride you feel best about. It’s all about gut-feeling =)

I really can’t tell if the SL is worth the extra cash because I do not know much about the Sherlock..
Triax glas, sintered base, twin like shape,.. - seems like a decent allmountain deck with nice flow in the pow.
Just keep in mind that as the Sherlock does have Burton’s ICS system, you will have to pay for a new binding which supports the ICS system if you didn’t plan on buying a new one anyway.

fede

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-10-30

Posted: 01 November 2010 06:12 PM

Thanks

fede

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-10-30

Posted: 01 November 2010 09:11 PM

anyway I have to buy bindings…

do you know if this ICS system makes any difference at all? (appart from the confort in adjusting angles and less screws)

I mean in the riding…any comments from riders who tested it??

It is one of the things Sherlock has but NS SL does not, so I am curious to know what people say about that system.

cheers

Search the Forum: