YES Typo Riding Tips Please!

andcdavies

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-11-01

Posted: 01 November 2011 11:29 PM

I began snowboarding half way through last season, so by the time that I was carving and starting to hit the park more, the season was really winding down. Now, with snow upon us again, I’m really wanting to look at the details of my body, control, timing, etc. on the mountain and was wondering if anyone would please give me tips on those.

I ride goofy on the YES Typo, it is setup so that I may switch very easily (I’ve practiced being decent on normal and goofy, but need to practice my normal landings). One thing that I’ve encountered with the board (particularly while carving) is just how flexible it is.

Thank you!

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 02 November 2011 07:51 AM

Could you be a little more specific what exactly you wanted help with?

andcdavies

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-11-01

Posted: 02 November 2011 08:46 AM

I have had a couple of friends give me tips on how to get a thinner line when I carve and how to generally carve better, but when they try my board and/or see its flexibility, they find it tricky to articulate what I should be doing. I’m looking for pointers on how to go fast as safely as I can, carving better, and working up to doing tricks off of jumps. So far I can just get air and do a fishtail on straighter boxes. I’m wondering if there are any specific tips on riding this board, or in general.

I am aware that this is still vague. But hopefully, less vague than before.

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 02 November 2011 09:08 AM

You go as fast as you feel safe/stable to do so.  If the board is really soft you will hit a point where it feels like you can’t grip a secure edge and that will probably signal how fast you can get on that deck.  Your skill level will also elevate this point too.

Carving is easier in powder / wide-steep pitches, it’s all about laying out a nice arching turn.  If you search for carving videos on youtube you will notice the Japanese scene is cranking out some bangers, they are all about this beautiful carves on some groomers that will make your jaw drop.  It helps to have a board with a long radius on the edge such as alpine boards.

As for jumping you can check out snowboardaddiction.com, they have great tutorials and I have been slow progressing my way through their stuff and will continue to do so next season…  best bang for your buck as far as polished instructional freestyle videos go.

andcdavies

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-11-01

Posted: 02 November 2011 10:51 AM

Thanks ever so much!

andcdavies

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-11-01

Posted: 02 November 2011 11:56 AM

On youtube, I’ve found a ton of carving videos where the rider/boarder will almost be flat against the slope. It looks awesome. Is this part of what you were talking about? I’m going to keep looking…

Is there a particular board (style or material) that works better in icy conditions? For getting that edge. That’s when I find it trickiest to cut in.

MagnePange

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 108 Joined 2010-11-30

Posted: 17 November 2011 04:56 PM

I don´t think there are any specific advice on how to ride a specific brand….. you might have to adjust your tec if you ride supersoft full rocker or superhard full camber and so on…


If you carve ice and hardpack you will find that your edge slips when you do a laydownturn.

That would happen to anyone and is not really due to the board. However, this would happen sooner to a low skill rider with low speed and force than to a high skill rider with high speed and force…..

The trick is to

1: Edge the board
2: Angulate your upper body (that´s opposite to the laydown turn were you stretch your body away from the board. In ice you should bend hips and knees while having the upper body allmost straight over the board in order to make your centre of gravity push down the boards edge towards the ground).

Expressing this in a more practical way: try to grab the outside egde of the board when you are carving. The edge thing and the angulate thing will follow automatically.


For more specific tips on park and rails: Stewe is the go to guy


Ed: yes there are boards that carve better. Camber boards or hybrid camber boards with magne traction. Learning to edge properly and angulate properly takes years of practice. The boarder X pro´s works on this all season around for years. Soo start trying out first. I think the Typo looks like a great first board that could handle anything high up in ability level

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 17 November 2011 09:26 PM

Practice, practice, practice is about all of the advice I can give you. Snowboarding has a learning curve that tails off the more time you spend on a board. At the minute though you’re at the point at which spending a week on a board will double your ability. I’d book into a carving lesson with a quality instructor (if you are riding in France I can suggest a couple) and they’ll be able to give you some pointers. The Typo is softer at the tips but there’s definitely enough torsinal stiffness between the bindings for great carving… I rode a Rossi Angus last season which is very similar and it carved great… but I’ve been riding since 1996 so I’ve got a bit of a head start on you. Keep practicing it’ll come.

Search the Forum: