Help!

Ryan12

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 19 Joined 2011-08-22

Posted: 22 August 2011 05:39 PM

Snowboard Review:

I am in dire need of help with acquiring a new board for this coming season. I have an ‘in’ with a Rossignol Distributor so the board must be from their 2011 lineup (or possibly their new 2012 lineup).

A little about me:
I live in Toronto, Ontario but during the winter I am pretty much a permanent resident of Collingwood. I usually make camp up at Tremblant twice or three times a season though. I’m an advanced rider and have been riding since I was 8 years old. I have no trouble with any runs at my local resorts and can carve it up at Tremblant with ease as well. Currently, I pretty much ride on a 200$ piece of fiberglass (or at least that’s what it feels like). I’m looking for a new board to really step up my riding to a new level. I care little for looks as I’m looking for a board that will make it feel like I’m flying (you get the drift). I’m into speed and carving, and usually far away from the park (freeriding?). I do hit up drops and ride in the woods with whatever powder exists in Ontario (not much :p). I’m 20 years old, just shy of 6 feet and weigh around 170 -180 depending on how committed to the gym I become before/during the season haha.

I’ve looked at the Jdub Magtek and the One Magtek and haven’t really been able to come to a decision as to which would be a better board for me. (As well if you think I should get a board that isn’t Rossignol let me know - money isn’t really an issue).
If you have some solutions or suggestions please help!

Ryan12

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 19 Joined 2011-08-22

Posted: 23 August 2011 03:17 PM

No Recommendations?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 August 2011 03:36 PM

Sure Ryan, I’ll get back to you this afternoon. Hold tight!

Ryan12

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 19 Joined 2011-08-22

Posted: 23 August 2011 03:52 PM

Haha sounds good. No problem.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 August 2011 11:21 PM

THose are two snowboards that you are going to get along with. Choosing between them is going to be the hard part. So the JDub changed quite a bit last year, I have a 2006/07 J Dub in my quiver which is my carving board for icy days. It grips like an ice axe and the base is lightning fast, the funny thing is the board is so dtiff that when you flex it, it creaks like a great Redwood in a strong wind. Last yeat Rossi softened it up a little and added the new Freestyle Amptek profile which is essentially camber with early ride tips. This makes the board more manageable and at the same time it will float better in powder and feel a little less catchy on refrozen groomers. The One uses all-mountain amptekk which means there is more rocker in the tips for float and playfullness in the terrain park, two things that aren’t really on your to-do list. Both boards have Magne-Traction edges but I think if you just want to charge runs the JDUB with it’s almost camber profile and dual torsion box construction is going to give you the most recoil out of carves and the best edge hold. If you’re looking for a more all-mountain ride which allows you to play around a bit more then the One would make more sense. Rich

Ryan12

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 19 Joined 2011-08-22

Posted: 23 August 2011 11:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. You hit my riding persona right on. I’d rather have a board I can rely on when carving hard than a board that sounds like it has a bit more pop than I’d like.

Ryan12

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 19 Joined 2011-08-22

Posted: 24 August 2011 02:03 AM

Another quick Q, I’m just shy 6 feet and weigh around 160-170lbs. Am I looking more towards the 161cm or the 159cm JDub. I used the calculator on the website but my feet are kind of disproportionate (size 11) so I wasn’t exactly sure.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 24 August 2011 11:04 AM

Oh tough one. I ride a 158 JDub which is more than enough snowboard for me, I am about 5’9” and 165lbs or at least I was during the winter. I’m not sure I could handle the cambered JDub at a longer length but with Amptek it might be a bit more manageable. Unless you really want a stiff beast of a snowboard I would probably go for the 158 just because your weight is quite low for your height and you might find the 161 a bit of a handful. The 2mm between the width of the 158 and 161 will make very little difference to boot overhang. A US11 boot on a 25.4cm waist should be fine.

Ryan12

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 19 Joined 2011-08-22

Posted: 24 August 2011 02:04 PM

Yea, I was worried because I currently ride a 159cm. Thanks for the advice - really saved my quads :p.

Search the Forum: