I need advice. Thanks.

Mjblount

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-08-14

Posted: 14 August 2011 06:57 PM

Hey guys I’m new here but I’ve been boarding since 09’ and have been renting all my gear. Well I think I’m ready to buy a board and I found what looks to be a good deal. A guy on craigslist has a avalanche board with bindings a pair of size 13 boots (though I’m only size 11 1/2) and a wax kit is it a good deal? It’s only 30 dollars so I wouldn’t be losing to much. Also I am only 16 so the most money I can save the better I will be. It’s 158cm and I’m 5/10 so that’s good right? Thanks guys also suggest boards I should look for.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 14 August 2011 07:06 PM

Hi Mjblount,

It’s tough times when you’re 16 and skint, I remember it well.

To be honest the package sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Boots that are a size and a half too big will shred your heels in no time and Avalanche snowboards haven’t been manufacturing good boards since 1996, I know because I almost bought one as my first board at the age of 14.

My advice would be to get an evening job and save some cash and then go out and buy a set-up you’ll be really proud of, somethng that’ll last you a couple of seasons. There are some fantastic bargains on last year’s gear and some second hand stuff going around at this time of year, if you can get $300-$400 we can find you a some upto date gear that’ll fit you. $30 dollars isn’t much to lose but it’s 1/10th of a way to a hlaf decent set-up.

That would be my advice… I’ve made the same mistake.

Rich

Mjblount

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-08-14

Posted: 14 August 2011 10:22 PM

Yeah man I understand I have enough money as I work 3 jobs (2 of which is working for a franchise my family owns) so money is no issue but I am still paying off my car and I do play paintbal and race motocross so I still have to put money for those. I was just looking around and I saw this for 30 and I thought well if it’s good I could use it and sell the boots.

Could you recommend me a brand to look for? I am a pretty good rider although I’m not that great when carving on my heels also I’m goofy if that’s how you call it or I use my right foot first.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 14 August 2011 10:58 PM

You’re loaded… 3 jobs! Damn you’ve probably got more expandable income than me… wait, definitely got more expendable income than me.

I reckon dig deep and get a good setup.

At the moment I don’t know anything about your riding style, stats, budget or ability. So here are a few of questions:

1) You’ve said that you’re pretty good… how good is that? Are you carving down reds and blacks with no issues on both edges? Hitting jumps and doing tricks? Riding switch confidently? How many weeks have you spent riding on snow?

2) What elements of snowboarding will you be doing on your new set-up? Just cruising groomers and powder? Firing off park jumps and riding boxes and rails?

3) We’ve gone from $30 to unlimited cash, realistically because you’ve got other hobbies that come first, how much have you got to spend on your board, boots and bindings?

4) Where are you going to ride this board. THere’s no point in me suggesting an epic swallow tail if you are riding 3 inches of fresh on the East coast, equally I don;t want to point you towards a job board if you live in the depths of AK.

Should be able to point you in the direction of some nice boards if you answer those.

Rich

Mjblount

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-08-14

Posted: 14 August 2011 11:57 PM

I live on the east coast in east TN, I drive to either north Carolina or Virginia to board and when in winter there is ussually a 20 in base if that’s what your asking.

1. I can do double black diamonds pretty well. I carve very well. I was starting to hit jumps and do tricks last time I went. So all in all I’m pretty good. I can switch confidently. I couldn’t tell you how many weeks but I’ve been doing this since 2009 and I would go 1-2 a month. Also I took a full day of lessons on my very first day.

2. I like to do a little bit of everything although I just mainly cruise down the intermediate hills helping my friends get better but I also like hitting jumps and rails.

3. For the boots, bindings, and boards I probably will have a 300 dollar limit although I am looking used. Even though I work as much as I do I do not have unlimited amount to spend. Used has always been good to me for everything I got my 09’ CR125R dirtbike for 1 grand because the guy thought it was broke.

4. Like I said on my first sentence I do live in the eastern side of the USA so it’s not going to be like Denver(which is amazing by the way) or anything.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 24 August 2011 12:21 AM

Sorry MJ just realised I haven’t got back to you, apologies.

I’ve had a good look on ebay and there are plenty of snowboards out there. I would use our board selecta to work out which boards fit your criteria (Freeride&Park;, directional twin, mid cost, mid wide or wide) and then keep hunting on ebay until you can find a board around the $180 mark. the Ride Antic, Salomon Drift, Atomic Pivot, Artec Novus and Endeavor Guerilla are a good place to start.

Ryan12

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 19 Joined 2011-08-22

Posted: 24 August 2011 12:36 AM

MjBlount:
I’d hit up some of the board shops where you live just as they bring out their new line for 2012. That’s usually when big names from last season hit rock bottom. If it’s still to high, if you talk to one of the pros who work at shops usually they know of some places where you can pick up a decent board for cheap or even know someone who is interested in getting rid of some old but still decent gear.

Search the Forum: