Salomon Lark for a beginner?  DC Devun for a second year?

Jord

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2011-08-04

Posted: 05 August 2011 12:33 PM

Hey folks,

Yes this is another “should I buy this board” thread. :)

My wife wants to learn to snowboard this year so I’m looking around at some gear for her.  She has stated that she doesn’t want to buy a board that she’ll want to exchange next year so I’m trying to find something a little more “advanced” than a beginner board.

Is the Salomon Lark too much board for someone to learn on?

Admittedly I don’t know a whole heck of a lot about the different styles of snowboards as I only started last year.  I’ll be surprised if I ever see her in a park so I’m looking for something more all mountain/freeriding…of course.

Also does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of Roxy boards?

My last question is this:  is a 2011 DC Devun too much board for a second year.  I learned last year on a Drake Empire and while it’s a servicable board I found a Devun for <$400 and it sounds like my kind of board (or at least what I think would be my kind of board) though I don’t know enough about the various snowboard tech to really be able to tell or not.  I’m 1.72 m tall and weigh 79 lbs.  The board is 157 long so I thought it would be a good fit.

I’m looking for a good all around board as I’m interested in learning/getting better at jumps but don’t have any aspirations for rails or the park.  I love to carve powder and run through glades (when available) but mostly stick to the groomed trails and try to find things to catch air off of.  I’m still pretty useless at riding fakie but I’m not too terribly concerned about that at this point.

EDIT:  Another board I’m looking at is the Rome Agent Rocker.  It was recommended by one of the guys at Rome.  How would this compare to the Devun?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jord

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 05 August 2011 05:13 PM

Hi Jord,

Firstly, Roxy boards are manufactured by Mervin, the factory responsible for Lib Tech and GNU snowboards. As you’d expect the build quality of the boards is extremely high. Mervin is owned by Quicksilver.

Salomon Lark - I’ve not ridden it I’m afraid. I should think it’ll make a pretty goo all-mountain snowboard for an intermediate female rider, however the slightly softer flex and zero camber profile of the Salomon Lily might be slightly more progressive for a beginner. If you go for the Lark I’m sure your wife will get along with it just fine. Wingtips camber is pretty fun and versatile and should help with grip o icy days.

DC Devun Walsh - If this is the rockered version with the black topsheet and purple base I think it sounds like a good choice. Be aware that the flex on it is pretty firm so it won’t be a buttery board for learning jibs and gooning around. If you want to go fast, point some powder runs and learn some jumps then I can imagine it would make a great choice. Carving and float are its strong points.

Rich

Jord

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2011-08-04

Posted: 05 August 2011 06:05 PM

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the reply.

After reading some reviews of the Roxy Ollie Pop C2BTX I think it might be a better board for my wife.  From what I’ve read it is a good board for starting as well as progressing…and it has lots of girly colour in it.  Of course the wife has the last say in it of course.  Now, she’s 1.65 m and around 60 kg….would a 151 be a good length for her?

I’m still torn on the Devun.  My only issue is that the hills (yes hills) around here are very small (I live in Southern Ontario) and to refer to the largest hill around here as a mountain would be the same as calling a canoe the Titanic.  I don’t know if buying a board that seems built for long fast runs would be the best idea.  I’m sure I’d enjoy it on the annual ski trip but other than that it might be poorly suited to my boarding opportunities.  Maybe something more along the lines of the Capita Quiver Killer, or GNU Street Style?

Thanks for you time.

Jord

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 05 August 2011 11:24 PM

Damn it just wrote a big reply and lost it. Here’s the short version.

Yes Ollie Pop 151 is a great choice.

Agreed, going for a softer more freestyle orientated board will enable you to progress you riding and have more fun on short hills that you can’t really charge. I’d have a look at the Never Summer Evo, Lib Tech Attack Banana, Nitro Rook, K2 Believer (Happy Hour next season) and the Rossi Angus. These boards will workk great for your trips to the big mountains but will also be fun when you’re riding the local mole hills.

Rich

Search the Forum: