Need advice on buying my first board

CallumEf

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-08-03

Posted: 03 August 2011 10:47 AM

I’ve only just started snowboarding and have been using rental boards at the closest hill in New Zealand.

I am heading over to Canada in November for a season, most likely at a resort in the rockies.

I need some advice choosing a first board to buy. I’m not sure if i should buy a beginner or an intermediate board since I will be spending an entire season working and boarding at a resort. I only want to spend money on one board that will that will give me the most enjoyment for my first full season.

A couple things I’m looking for in a board is rocker technology and something that is good for everything on the mountain (i think its called freeriding.. :P).

I’m, 5"10, 180lbs and size 10 feet.

If anyone could suggest any packages or snowboards that wont cost me a fortune that would be awesome.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge of snowboards, I’m still learning :P

cheers

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 03 August 2011 11:10 AM

Hi Callum,

The Rossignol One MagTek, K2 Turbo Dream and the Signal Omni are some boards worth looking into. They’re intermediate to advanced all-mountain snowboards that are forgiving enough for relative new comers to get on with but will offer park, piste and powder performance as you become more accomplished. The Rossi and Signal decks use a hybrid camber where between the bindings the boards is cambered for grip through turns and the tips are rockered for playing about in the park and great powder performance. The K2 has a flat profile between the feet and rocker in the tips… it doesn’t feel to dissimilar. The flat section between the feet ads stability. You might also want to try the Rossi Angus, I rode one all of last season and there wasn’t a snow condition or type of terrain it couldn’t handle. It’s pretty similar to the One, it just doesn’t have Magne Traction edges.

Rich

CallumEf

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-08-03

Posted: 03 August 2011 12:05 PM

cheers rich,

I’m having trouble finding rough prices for these boards you’ve recomended. Any idea of what the final cost of a package with one of these boards would cost in canadian dollars?

chur

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 03 August 2011 12:55 PM

I think Google has that one covered. If you look at big retailers like the-house.com I think they still have a couple of Rossi One Magteks going on sale so you’ll be able to pick it up cheap.

Search the Forum: