Jib board choice (again)

snowrooster

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 18 Joined 2011-05-16

Posted: 24 May 2011 03:14 PM

Hi,

It’s me again with another board question. It’s nice to be able to ask people who have actually tried lots of boards. On some forums, riders tend to recommend their only and current board!

I have introduced myself previously as 40+ , 1.69m 5’7”, 67kg 10 1/2 st 146 lbs. First lesson and experience on a snowboard 9 weeks in a snowdome. Been on a board a dozen of times since, including 2 sessions on the mountain.

Linked skidded turns are no problem, carved turns are coming. My switch turns feel comfortable enough. I can tailpress down the slope, do small ollies on the move. Yesterday, I did my first 50-50 and got some decent straight air on a small ramp. I am basically hooked now!

I have bought a second hand Salomon Answer 2009/10 from eBay for the end of year holiday in Les Arcs (Thanks for the advice!) but I want to have a jib board to play round in the dome in the meantime. I am moving to Mauritius early next year after which the best I can hope for is an annual one week snow holiday. I therefore need a cheap jib board (with a compromise between the pop and butteriness) now to make maximum use and progress in my limited time near the snowdome.


I am eyeing

PC PBJ bittner Pro 153 £155 (?Too big?)
K2 WWW rocker   148 at £175, 152 at £168 (What’s the right size - does it really chip easily?)
Rome Cheaptrick 149 or 151 at £165
Forum Scallywag 151 at £200 (Ben Molloy’s review is so enthusiastic -worth that extra £?)

Many many thanks

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 May 2011 11:43 AM

HI Snowrooster,

Sorry for the delayed reply, a little bit busy with some freelance work at the minute.

It sounds like a jib board would be a good idea and those boards are cheap enough that it won’t hit you in the wallet. A softer more forgiving board could certainly accelerate you progression at freestyle tricks and small piste pibs which at the end of the day contribute a lot towards learning good board control.

Firstly, I’m not sure I’d size down quite as far as the boards you’ve listed in the 148-149 range. The boards you’ve listed are naturally soft anyway so sizing down to much will mean landing on the tail or too much over the nose will reult in the board washing out or if worst comes to worst the board snapping.

I’ve ridden the WWW and the Scallywag. The PBJ and the Cheaptrick I haven’t. Between the WWW and the Scallywag, my vote would be for the Scallywag. I think the continual rocker it uses feels a touch more playful. The flex of the board is more consistent through the length of the board which means when you butter it the whole board bends instead of the WWW where the tips are really soft so they just bend like mad. The Scallywag is also a little burlier, it can ride terrain parks and still work on the mountain and the durability of the construction is better, it’ll do you a good few years of dome riding.

At the end of the day, all of the boards you have selected are perfect for what you intend to do with your jib board. Again once you’ve narrowed your selection to boards that fit the criteria it just comes down to personal preference…. and price.

Rich

snowrooster

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 18 Joined 2011-05-16

Posted: 31 May 2011 10:55 PM

Hi Rich,

Your carefully written posts are very much appreciated and I am sure all the other forum visitors agree. Especially this site is just your hobby!

I eventually decided to go for the Forum Scallywag 151 the day before you posted based on Ben Molloy’s review and its looks (had just seen Pirates of the Carribean!). I ‘bought’ the last Scallywag 151 online from Cabfive but the board was actually already sold just hours earlier and the website was not updated. I received an apologetic phone call. I was quite disappointed after all the effort of deciding but I was then offered a Forum Youngblood Chillidog 152 at the same price of £180 (with SCUK discount). I did not know anything about that board. I said no initially but reading your post and after looking up the specs on the Forum website I went for it! {Plaudits to James Shepherd from Cabfive for being helpful}.

I also chose the Drake Supersports at £109 discounted which seemed to be a good deal.

I just need to try out and buy some boots in a shop and I will be totally sorted!

Thanks again for your help!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 01 June 2011 09:50 AM

No problem with the advice it’s what the site exists for… always a pleasure to help.

It’s a shame about the Scallywag, that’s just sods law that the board ends up sold just as you make your order, but the Youngblood is a fantastic substitute. The flex is rated the same, both boards have the same profile and the waist widths are only 1mm different. They’re actually very similar, but the Youngblood has a slightly more expensive Aspen core which might change the liveliness of the board a little. In all that’s some pretty good advice from the chap at the shop.

Also good shout on the Supersports, I’ve been riding them all season and mine are pretty much as good as new,  The fit is really supportive and they’re as good charging down coloirs as they are buttering on boxes. My only gripe with them is that they’re a touch heavier than some other bindings out there… but if that’s the cost of being so bomb proof then it’s not much to sacrifice. The Bio-map Hi-back is one of the best fitting and comfortable hi-backs on the market.

All-in, some great purchase decisions.

snowrooster

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 18 Joined 2011-05-16

Posted: 28 July 2011 05:36 PM

Rich,

Just to let you how I am getting on with the new gear.

The Forum Youngblood was quite a big step up for a beginner who started on rental boards. What a silly thought I had that my riding would immediately improve dramatically! My first session was quite disheartening with numerous falls. It felt fast and twitchy. I never had to think about my stance width before and I had it too narrow at first (now 22.5in, I am 5’7). It took 5-6 rides to really feel comfortable and reach the same degree of control I had with the rental board. However, it was clear from the first ride that it had huge pop compared to the rental boards. I almost scared myself with height of the pop on my first ollie! In the last few sessions, I have now resumed progressing and learning new things: the boardslide, tail roll, indy grab ... So, the re-adjustment phase is well over, the board should serve me well for quite some time I hope!

I have a little issue with the toe strap of the Drake Supersports bindings. They get getting loose on both R &L sides. The adjustment ratchet remains firmly attached. Instead, it is the smaller clamp/ratchet on the opposite side of the strap that keeps opening up every few hours of riding no matter how tight it appears to be when I check it. Have you had this problem? I am thinking of contacting the retailer or distributor. I ‘lost’ the whole toe strap at the bottom of the snowdome slope once on unstrapping from the board. It would be a disaster on the mountain!

Image Attachments  DrakeSS.jpg

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 July 2011 06:14 PM

Hey Snowrooster,

Yeah new boards always take a bit of time adjusting too and a board with sharp new edges and a lively, non-broken-in flex is always going to feel more catch than a rental board.

Shame about the bindings. I’ve had zero problems with my bindings at all and the adjusted lock that you’re having problems with on your bindings has never moved, infacts it’s damn stiff. Sounds to me like it is an issue with the tolerances of the pin that goes through the catch… i.e. there is too much space. Drake probably have a warranty department with millions of straps and replacement components. Drop them an email, a strap like that probably costs them 2 bucks to make and warranty costs are built into the cost of your bindings. I’m sure they’ll be more than happy to replace the offending straps. If they’re not let me know and we’ll move this to Defcon 2. Drake don’t want this to go to Defcon 2!

Actually, you’re in the UK. You need to contact Pat Neenan at Ultrasport, he deals with Drake and he’s a super nice guy. I’m sure you won’t have any problems. Tell him I suggested you contact him regarding replacement straps… and that I recommended Drakes in the first place! I’ll PM you his email.

Rich

snowrooster

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 18 Joined 2011-05-16

Posted: 28 July 2011 07:08 PM

Thanks a lot, Rich. Helpful as ever!

I have bought all the hard gear I need for the foreseeable future (he says!) but I can’t wait to see your review for the 11/12 boards come online!

I am also thinking of booking a freestyle course with GFC - they seem to have good reviews!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 July 2011 08:36 PM

Yeah GFC camps are great. Mikee who tests boards for us instructs on the courses and Dave Seeley who runs them is a really nice guy and a very good snowboarder so I’m sure you’ll pick up a load of tricks and useful riding tips.

No probs always a pleasure to help.

snowrooster

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 18 Joined 2011-05-16

Posted: 23 August 2011 12:28 PM

Ultrasport has been helpful and apparently replacement toestraps are on their way from Drake!

BTW Pat Neenan just happened to be leaving Ultrasport just after I contacted them!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 August 2011 12:33 PM

Great to hear that. Yeah I tried to contact Pat about getting the Drake board images on the site and was told he has left, by all accounts he’s off to work with another snowboard brand.

Search the Forum: