why do reverse camber only between the bindings?

bdrusse

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-13

Posted: 17 May 2011 05:07 AM

Hi all.  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am looking at buying a new board.  I rode a Rossi trickstick that is somewhat flat between the bindings and more rockered from bindings out to the tips.  I see the reason in this.  I loved that board, but they don’t make a good size for me.

I am now looking at the Skate banana.  Of course all the reviews are in love with it.  I thin I want the board, and they say it is buttery smooth, but I just don’t see how the rocker really works if it is only between the bindings, and flat from bindings out…

I mean once you step into it, it pushes the rocker out, and you basically have a flat board, no?

By the way, I currently have a cambered board, and after riding the trickstick, I don’t ever want to go back to anything resembling the camber.  Well, never say never I guess…but not in the foreseeable future.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 17 May 2011 09:43 AM

Hi bdrusse,
no dumb questions here! You always have to ask to learn something new, so go ahead!
Check out our Basics Section (at the bottom) to learn more about the different types of rocker.
If this does not answer your question, yet, feel free to ask again!

bdrusse

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-13

Posted: 17 May 2011 04:21 PM

thanks for that link.  I do get the whole different styles thing.  I just don’t get how stopping the rocker at the bindings really would be a rocker board, not once you step in anyway.  by the time you step into it and press it down with your weight, it would just be a flat board it seems. 

Is it, because it is stiff enough, that it goes with the snow pushing it up instead of fighting to go back down as a cambered board would?  since that is its natural style before my fat butt jumps on it?

I really wish I lived closer to a place where demos of diff types would not be so difficult.  Unfortunately, I live in AR and that isn’t really feasible.  So I am trying to make sure I get the best board I can just from the best research I can do.  I just loved that trickstick so much, I want what I buy to be at least as good a board.  I want it every bit as buttery as that one was.  And it looks like, with all the options out there, I can get more stable too.  I am hoping I can have my cake and eat it too.  Im thinking I may have found that in the Banana, but just cant imagine it being no catchier…with the rocker style difference.

Thanks again for your help.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 17 May 2011 05:28 PM

There are several reason why it doesn’t matter that the rocker doesn’t extend beyond the feet. Firstly, the main point of rocker is to take the pressure of the contact points that camber creates at the start and end of the effective edge. Sure when the board is loaded with your weight it is completely flat, but the majority of the pressure is still applied through the centre of the board, the board is also not pusing your weith through the ground at the start of the effcetive edge which significantly reduces the risk of you catching an edge. Secondly, putting the rocker between the bindings menas that in powder the board will naturally roll back so that your weight is at the tail of the board, yet the tail is still there to slash and control your speed. It also menas that the majority of the boards flex comes from between the bindings making it easy to press and pop, yes still allowing the board to pop and the nose and tail and stick back seat landings. The proof is in the pudding, and the lib banana boards feel easy to ride, flkoaty and catch free.

bdrusse

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-13

Posted: 17 May 2011 08:17 PM

Well thanks for that response.  That makes pretty good sense.  I am pretty sure this is going to be my next board then.  I just cannot find a single negative review on it.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 17 May 2011 08:32 PM

I’m glad you could read the new form of English I was writing in.

Yeah it’s a great park board, the only negative I can think to say about is that it’s not the Attack Banana and that’s more of a compliment to the Attack Banana.

bdrusse

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-13

Posted: 17 May 2011 10:43 PM

Ahh, see there you go, just when I committed to one, you go sparking my interest again.  Ha.  What does the attack banana have/perform well in that the skate does not?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 17 May 2011 11:01 PM

It was a late release this season and it’s a full blown release next season. Instead of the rocker blending into flat tips, the tips bend back a little just beyond the binding. It’s called EC2 Banana and it’s a halfway house between C2 Banana and standard Banana. It just gives the board a little more liveliness out of turns and pop for jumps. It’s just one of those boards that you step on and think… damn that’s what the SK8 Banana was missing.

But like I said the Sk8 Banana is a damn fine park and rail board.

bdrusse

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 13 Joined 2011-02-13

Posted: 18 May 2011 02:34 AM

well Rich.  Thanks for your help.  I have one more question now.  I am going to get the Skate Banana.  I know this is the wrong forum, but you are the go to guy and already on this thread. 

for a 6’2” 215lb guy with size 11 boots.  is a regular 159 the right board?  I would use it for more than just parks, so don’t want it too short, I know.  And I here this board runs wider than most already, meaning I shouldn’t need the wide, right?  Thanks for all your input and help.

Search the Forum: