Replacement/Upgrade path for the K2 Nemesis

krhainos

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2010-01-30

Posted: 30 January 2010 02:09 AM

I had a K2 Nemesis 2004/2005 before it got stolen (who’d want a 5-6 year old, gouged/beaten up board is beyond me.) 

Anyway, it was sold as a freeride board and I thought it was a fairly stiff board.  K2 says the closest replacement is the Slayblade—but I’m not sure if that’s an honest answer or them just trying to sell me the most expensive thing they have.

The local shop carries Neversummer stuff—and, from them I’m stumped between the Premier F1-R and the Legacy-R.  The Titan looks neat too; but looks stiffer then what I had.  Which should I get?

NS Titan
NS Legacy
NS Premier F1-R

K2 Slayblade

A little about me:
Height: 5’7”
Weight: 175 lbs
Foot: 9 US
Experience: Beginner - Intermediate
Riding: freeride. (probably won’t ever touch park.)

Help me spend money,

-K

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 30 January 2010 01:03 PM

Hi there krhainos,
I can’t understand how one can steal snowboards from random people anyway.. They work hard for their money, spend it on a snowboard, most probably love it and you take it. Couldn’t live with that thought =\

Regarding your question:
How often are you shredding in the pow?
If you are hardly riding anthing else than hardpack then you should maybe stick to a cambered ride.

Other than that the Titan might indeed be a bit too stiff for you whereas the Legacy is a great allmountain ride which would be probably just right for you. But looking at your Shoe-Size, any reasons why you want to go with the wide version of the SL-R? The SL-R should be just fine with your boots I guess..
Just noticed the Premier is only like a small bit stiffer than the SL-R so maybe an even better choice if you are going for pure freeriding.

I was in between the K2 Slayblade and the Amplid Paradigma and went for the Paradigma. Maybe you want to check out that deck, too.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 30 January 2010 01:04 PM

Hi Krhainos,

Gutted that some low-life stole your Nemis… but after 5 years of flogging that ride to death, perhaps the theif has done you a back handed favour! Now you can have board with pop, once again!

If you’re a keen freerider, then I think the Never Summer boards you’ve listed are going to be a good bet. Beware that from my experience NS boards are quite stiff, I rode the EVO-R 158, apparently it’s their soft freestyle ride… it was definitely not soft, quite a beast. So don’t go for the Titan, as you’ve noted that you’re intermediate, it’ll be counter-productive to your riding to ride a really stiff board. You’re feet are the same size as mine, so I’d avoid the Legacy as it’s a mid-wide board… you only need a standard width. You mention you’re not interested in the park, which would suggest the F1-R is the board you should look at, the directional shape should help with float in pow and I’m sure it will crank turns. I know the SLR is supposed to be a little bit softer so if you want easier turn initiation and a bit more of a playable board I’d look at that. If you check out, shayboarder.com, Shay who runs the site rides a lot of NS boards so she might be able to help you decise between the SLR and F1R. Just hope you manage to hold into your new board long enough to see out the 3 year warranty!

Rich

krhainos

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2010-01-30

Posted: 30 January 2010 06:06 PM

zoryfl - 30 January 2010 05:03 PM

How often are you shredding in the pow?
If you are hardly riding anthing else than hardpack then you should maybe stick to a cambered ride.

Pow?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen that stuff here in Ohio.  It fluctuates between warm and freezing all the time.  Ohio is rubbish.

zoryfl - 30 January 2010 05:03 PM

But looking at your Shoe-Size, any reasons why you want to go with the wide version of the SL-R? The SL-R should be just fine with your boots I guess..

The boards I’ve had in the past are either mid-wide or wide.  I’m not completely married to them; it’s just what I’m used to, I suppose.  That and the Legacy-R is in stock, I could walk over and get it right now.

zoryfl - 30 January 2010 05:03 PM

I was in between the K2 Slayblade and the Amplid Paradigma and went for the Paradigma. Maybe you want to check out that deck, too.

duly noted :)

Rich Ewbank - 30 January 2010 05:04 PM

but after 5 years of flogging that ride to death, perhaps the theif has done you a back handed favour! Now you can have board with pop, once again!

I’d love to think that he was doing me a favor, but I loved that board—and this is putting quite a dent in my wallet.  A real favor the guy did for me, heh

Rich Ewbank - 30 January 2010 05:04 PM

You’re feet are the same size as mine, so I’d avoid the Legacy as it’s a mid-wide board… you only need a standard width. You mention you’re not interested in the park, which would suggest the F1-R is the board you should look at, the directional shape should help with float in pow and I’m sure it will crank turns.

The only thing I worry about is even though the DC boots I have are 9; they’re friggen tanks and have the shell closer to a 10.  I also neglected to mention that there’s hardly any pow here in Ohio—Maybe if I drive over to Pennsylvania, but I only do that once a year.

Rich Ewbank - 30 January 2010 05:04 PM

If you check out, shayboarder.com, Shay who runs the site rides a lot of NS boards so she might be able to help you decise between the SLR and F1R. Just hope you manage to hold into your new board long enough to see out the 3 year warranty!

Will do!  I hope so too hah.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 30 January 2010 06:21 PM

Hi K,

Yeah DC boots do tend to have quite large shells, but the 159 F1-R has a waist width of 25.5 which is definitely wide enough for your feet. If you go too wide you’ll find you have sluggish edge to edge response, initiating turns is more difficult and the pressure you apply through the edge of the board in a carve won’t be as great. Riding wider waist decks is actually less of an issue in pow… if you’re riding hard pack groomers I’d avoid the extra width, unless you’re using very slight binding angles.

Rich

krhainos

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2010-01-30

Posted: 30 January 2010 06:38 PM

Rich Ewbank - 30 January 2010 10:21 PM

Hi K,

Yeah DC boots do tend to have quite large shells, but the 159 F1-R has a waist width of 25.5 which is definitely wide enough for your feet. If you go too wide you’ll find you have sluggish edge to edge response, initiating turns is more difficult and the pressure you apply through the edge of the board in a carve won’t be as great. Riding wider waist decks is actually less of an issue in pow… if you’re riding hard pack groomers I’d avoid the extra width, unless you’re using very slight binding angles.

Rich

My angles are currently 15deg on the front and -9 on the back (goofy; duck stance).  The K2 board had a waist of 26cm; and anything between say 158cm and 162 is probably preferred—I don’t think I’d like a longer board.  I don’t think I’d be opposed to smaller though.  This is going to be an obvious question, but does .5cm make a really huge difference?

Both the Premier and the SL-R/Legacy-R seem to have the same-ish flex rating (SL-R is 5 -vs- the Legacy-R and Premier’s 6) but how much of a difference is the damping between a 5 and the 8.5?  That means the Premier absorbs more vibration?  Sounds like more damping always sounds like a good thing on paper, but I have no idea what that translates to real world.

Search the Forum: