endeavour next

melsie

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-01-19

Posted: 19 January 2010 12:33 AM

Hi, thanks for a great site and lots of helpful info.  I was hoping for some advice about the 2010 endeavour next 154 non-RC board.  Cant find any reviews on it on the web.  Can get it for a good price.  Im going to SunPeaks in 3 weeks and thought I deserved a new board - my current one is embarrasingly old (10 years) and has been thrashed.  Im a girl but 175cm and weigh 65kg. 

I ride blue runs mainly but some black runs, Im not that good if theres moguls or icy conditions, not into park or fancy stuff, just carving down the main runs.  Although I think Im a bit of a chicken because my board doesnt seem to do much of the stuff Ive been reading about on these review sites - maybe its just old - or maybe its just me!  I think my board is starting to stop me progressing because this last NZ winter I had to really work to keep up with the guys and kept falling over - I think I catch my edge but also the board wouldnt turn when I wanted it to so I had to throw my weight around like a crazy and I think just overbalanced, it feels sketchy at faster speeds too.

Anyway, do you think this board would be OK for me?  There are a whole range of well priced endeavour boards I can choose from (not the diamond) but reading the specs, I think this is the best option.  Or I could risk it and try and buy one when I get to Canada.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 19 January 2010 12:55 AM

Hi Melsie,

Definitely sounds like you deserve a new board! I rode the Endeavor Next 159 RC so I’m afraid I’m not going to be a huge amount of help, suffice to say I’m sure you’d get along fine with the 154 providing you’ve got you carving down and you have an aggresive riding style. The boards got a great shape and the graphics are awsome. If you’re struggling to initiate turns it might a good idea to opt for a softer board like the guerilla or try and get your hands on a reverse camber board, these initiate turns really easy and providing you don’t buy a really soft board you shouldn’t get too much chatter. But as I said, if you’re confident carving on reds and blacks and popping off lips etc, you’ll be fine on the Next. Damn good looking board!

melsie

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 19 January 2010 02:33 AM

thanks for that
Im not sure what an aggressive riding style is ... Im not in poo stance with my hands out if thats what you mean!  I like just chilling and snaking it down the mountain, not really racing to be the first.  I cant anyway, my man is way better than me.  I would like to get better at little lips to the sides of the runs tho.  The range of reverse camber boards here is shite at the moment bc its Summer, I wasnt sure about them - alot of the reviews mention they are a bit lacking in grip on the ice which is not good for me.  Maybe Im not that aggressive at the mo but think its because my board is crapola and when I go fast I tend to eat snow.  Hopefully with a better board Ill be able to get more aggressive.  I forgot to say also, if I get a new board do you think new bindings are essential, and what kind would suit me?

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 19 January 2010 10:18 AM

Hey there melsie,

aggressive riding style mostly means initiating turns really actively, going rather fast and carve/turn hard- at least that’s how I’d describe it. “chilling it down the mountain” sounds different to that =)

If you are also looking for something to do little jumps around the tracks you should not really get a stiff-ish board.
I’d check out some zero cambered boards (K2) or rocker hybrids, check our basics section for more informations about the different rocker types. Sucks though if you can’t buy it locally..

It depends on the new bindings- what binding do you currently have?

melsie

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 19 January 2010 10:56 AM

Hi,

sorry that last post was a bit waffly - Im a bit confused with all the terms, its new to me.  I do like to go fast.  Just not REALLY fast like plenty of good boarders I see on the mountain.  Basically Im a chicken.  And I do like to do hard turns and cane it when Im feeling like it.  I dont do other fancy stuff like jumps and ollies or whatever - mainly because I dont like to get hurt. 

This last winter I was really trying to be more aggressive and go faster but like I said, I ate a lot of snow.  Im not really sure what the problem was because I dont usually fall over.  After reading a lot of reviews and forums I got the idea my old board may be a lot of the problem.  It is a bit of a pig.  But I cant be sure - maybe Ive just got a crap style, who knows. 

I think maybe the Next board might be too difficult to handle if the problem is my style or technique.  Ive been reading about magnetraction and reverse cambers a bit more since I posted and there are a couple of other options Ive got - more pricey but OK - the Rossignol Jdub Mag 158, the Burton Custom ICS 156, Burton Feelgood ICS 152, or the K2 Turbo Dream.  Not that I think they suit me perfectly and some are more freestyle oriented, but if Im not a speed demon do any of them sound OK?

My bindings are older ratchet style Burtons.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 19 January 2010 11:27 AM

What ever you do, don’t buy the JDub!!!! I’ve got one and I love it, but it’s stiff and will throw you off like a rodeo ride!

From what you’re saying I think the Feelgood is going to be the best option out of those, followed by the Turbodream… Although I’d probably go for the next size up I think it’s a 155. It’s built for girls so it has a narrower waist and lighter glass (fibre) will aid turn initiation. Check the width against the size of your feet. Oh and if it was a choice between the JDUB, Custom and Turbodream, you’d be best on the Next.

Regarding aggressive riding style. I mean powering into turns, really pumping carves, boosting ollies and generally thrashing. Oh and magnetraction is great.. combined with reverse camber it really works.. if you don;t believe me read the Mike Olson interview… he’ll convince you!

melsie

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 19 January 2010 12:08 PM

sheesh this is confusing.  thanks for your advice tho but my heads getting all messed up.  Unfortunately the only feelgood 156 I can find is really spendy and its actually cheaper to buy the K2 zero than that.  Maybe I should… sounds good on your review.  Magnetraction does sound great and would probably stop me from being such a chicken on icy shaded slopes but I cant find one here that is OK - only the jdub and that was a bad idea !!  I also found a K2 format 158 and a nitro misfit 155.6.  but i dont think they are reverse camber.  Hmmmm stumped.  Do you think Im best with the Next or fork out for something else?  At this point I dont mind about the price, just want a board that will suit me.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 19 January 2010 12:49 PM

Sorry for confusing you… completely unintentional.

Right to clear things up. if you’re 65kg and 175cm tall you should be riding a board of around 154-156 cm for all mountain riding. Because you appear to be at an intermediate level, I would suggest going for a board with biaxial glass, this will aid turn initiation and will be more forgiving as you learn to hit jumps and butter about. I would suggest looking at a slightly directional shape as it appears you want to ride powder, piste and park, all with the same board. Magnetraction is great, but it isn’t worth buying the wrong board just because it’s got magnetraction. Rocker is great for aiding progression in the park, powder and will help you with initiating carves on steeper runs. Yes it will compromise stability a little if you are riding really fast, but I don’t think you need to worry about that. Cambered boards also work great.. infact it’s what everybody was riding until this season.. so it’s not old news.

If you use our Board Selecta, select medium priced, park and freeride icons and if you have smaller feet then select the womens icon, although you won’t have a problem with riding a mans deck with the right spec. I don’t think it’s neccessary to look at the most expensive boards in each line up… you’ll benefit more from a middle range progressive all mountain board.

melsie

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 19 January 2010 02:15 PM

thanks dude, your advice is much appreciated, hope you didnt think I was dissing it - I was just overwhelmed by the many and varied options.  I had been using the board selecta but not ticking the park icon so those other boards I said earlier were in the list.  Ticking park makes it basically just the Nitro Misfit or the Endeavour Guerilla that I can get my hands on soon.  I can get the Guerilla cheap so Ill go for that.  Your description of aggressive riding style is a bit harder than what I get up to so the Guerilla sounds more forgiving.  Maybe Ill get a board with all the bells and whistles after the next season or 2 instead of waiting so long this time. 
Cheers.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 19 January 2010 03:10 PM

Oh don’t worry about that, didn’t think for one second that you were dissing my advice… with all the different cambers, shapes and materials it’s easy to get disorientated. Spending as much as you can isn’t always the best solution.

I think the Guerilla is a wise choice.. It is going to help you progress the quickest. And as it’s not going to break the bank you can upgrade your bindings or get another couple of days on the hill this season.

We did an interview with Max Jenke the head honcho at Endeavor not long ago… towards the end he talks through what board is best for what.. check it out.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Rich

Search the Forum: