Posted: 20 March 2011 07:05 AM
I just found out the other day about snowboard leashes. When I was at Squaw Valley last month, there was no requirement to get one.
As I started to dig more info on this, there seems to be various opinions:
1. Useless since snowboard bindings are not meant to release like skis
2. Leashes tied to the boots are useless since the leash has to be untied when carrying the snowboard
3. Leashes that tied around the calves are recommended since it allows for enough length to still be attached while carrying the snowboard (wonder how distracting this could be with something tied around your calf?)
Is it worth getting a leash in case I run across a lift operator having a bad day? Or just play it really safe and go for the leash around the calf?
Posted: 20 March 2011 10:06 AM
Fast answer, don’t use one. I’d be super surprised if anyone enforces that ancient rule.
Posted: 20 March 2011 06:42 PM
I’ll second that. The time at which you are most likely to let your board get away from you is when you are putting it down to go to a mountain restaurant or to go to the toilet… not when it’s attched to you leg because you are riding it. Like Steve says I wouldn’t bother.
Posted: 21 February 2012 07:35 PM
A couple of useful points:
1. A snowboarding pro said the only place you really need a leash is when hiking up a hill while holding your board - it’s the one place you’re likely to drop it if you stumble, for example. In that setting, a longer leash tied around the thigh makes sense.
2. Some ski hills require a leash to comply with state laws. I cope with this by always having a leash attached to two places on my front binding (i.e. not to my boot). It’s never in the way or a bother, but it looks like I’m wearing a leash legitimately. I don’t feel guilty because of comment 1 above.
Posted: 22 February 2012 06:15 AM
seems like you’ve made up your mind but… i use a leash attached to my boot… ive been using one since i started 10 yrs ago, its really just a preference, although some resorts do still enforce it.
personally i think the RULE itself is insainly stupid because it is, so much easier for skiers to loose there ski’s. i cant tell you how many times iv had to carry a lost ski up a lift…