Beginner looking for a setup.

micheal

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2010-01-10

Posted: 10 January 2010 04:29 PM

I am looking for:

  [*] Board
  [*] Binding
  [*] regular straps
  [  ] fast-entry system (Flow/Cinch/..)
  [*] Boots
  [  ] Other

Measurements:

  Body height: 193cm / 6ft’4
  Weight:  210lbs
  Shoe size:12 US


  Riding level:

  [*] Beginner
  [  ] Intermediate
  [  ] Advanced
  [  ] Expert


  Riding style: (multiple selections allowed)

  [*] Piste   [  ] %
  [  ] Powder   [  ] %
  [*] Park   [  ] %
  [  ] Rails   [  ] %

  Price Limit:  [ 650 ] £

Im looking for a good alround board, good for beginners but something that won’t get boring.

I was looking at the Ride Antic Wide, Burton Bullet, K2 Darkstar Wide and a Burton Blunt Wide.

I used to board back in 2003 on a K2 Fuse, but breaking my arm put me off for a while.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 11 January 2010 03:40 PM

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about the broken arm… yeah that’s enoughto put anyone off but please you’re getting back on the horse!

You’re definitely on the right tracks regarding boards. The Ride Antic, Burton Bullet and K2 Darkstar definitely along the right lines. Although I rode a Bullet a couple of seasons ago and wasn’t blown away by the shape, it just didn’t feel right for most terrain, i.e. not directional enough to charge and too directional to be useful in the park. Other Boards I’d look at are the K2 Podium and the Option Redline.. both these boards have wide options. Regarding lengths, i wouldn’t suggest taking a board under about 164 as without trying to sound rude, you’re a big man. Bindings wise, I think the Salomon Code represents one of the best value bindings on the market at the moment, I don’t think there is any need to spend over about £150 on bindings, and if you’re savy there are a couple of online retailers where you can get last years bindings at a snip! I’d advise against Drake bindings for your feet… these guys are narrow and I think the baseplate will be too short for a size 12 boot even on an XL binding. Boots wise it’s all about fit and flex.. my favourite Fit are Vans, I have a thin ankle and a medium width foot, Van tend to fit me best, but I’ve owned a variety of brands from 32 to Northwave… i think for now I’m set on Vans. Try as many boots on as possible (don’t do the internet thing unless you’re reordering a boot from the same brand in a size you knoe fits!) and try and go for a flex of around 5-6/10 this will be fun in the park and supportive enough for freeriding.

Hope that helps

Rich

micheal

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2010-01-10

Posted: 12 January 2010 03:37 AM

Thanks for the reply, has been really helpful.

Im swaying towards the Antic, mainly because reviews have said its a good all rounder and a good board to progress on. Im not too keen on spending alot of money on a Burton board, the few I had a mess about with a few years ago seemed over hyped but maybe thats just me?

Binding wise I was looking at the Union Contact’s, K2 Formula’s and Ride RX’s. I can’t seem to find the Salomon Code in an XL.

Vans boots always seemed the best fit for me too, I used to use 04 Mantras. I do like the look of quick laces though, real laces did seem a bit of a swine. I have heard that 32’s don’t last that long though?

Only thing is I can’t seem to find alot of the boards on this site in the UK, unless im just looking in the wrong places?

Sorry for all the questions, but as you know buying a decent setup isn’t cheap and I want to make sure I get it right.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 12 January 2010 09:01 AM

micheal - 12 January 2010 07:37 AM

Sorry for all the questions, but as you know buying a decent setup isn’t cheap and I want to make sure I get it right.

Tell me about it.. =D

The Union Contact was designed having rockered boards in mind allowing them to flex truer. So as your new board is going to be a camber, it won’t give you much advantage. I think I’d rather go for a Union Force in this case.

The Nitro fast-lacing TLS system works nice so far, don’t know much about other fast lacing systems, just that I am somehow not into that whole Boa thing..

I’m sure you would do no wrong, going with the Antic.

Cheers

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 12 January 2010 03:34 PM

I think if you look at the following shops, you’ll be able to cover off most of the brands:

Bargain Boards - Palmer, Option, Endeavor, F2
The Snowboard Asylum - Rome, Burton, K2, Ride, YES
Big Dreams - Apo, Amplid, Nitro
Chain reaction Cycles - Rossignol, Amplid
Snow and rock - Lib Tech, Arbor

And these shops stock a lot more than these brands but the other brands don’t spring to mind.

I had a set of 32 team twos a couple of years ago, rode fine, but the sole fell off after 2 seasons of riding and the wrap around liner didn’t work as well as a liner with a tongue. Also Van’s are pretty easy to lace-up.. much quicker than 32s. I’ve heard good things about the boer system, I just hate the thought that one would snap.. at least you can bodge a fix with a lace. I think I’d get your boots sorted and then find a binding that fits the boot otherwise you could have trouble finding a good interface.

micheal

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2010-01-10

Posted: 12 January 2010 05:35 PM

Just found the Option Redline for £209, as its £120 cheaper than the Ride Antic I just wondered if there is alot of difference? And wouldn’t 167cm be too big for me even?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 12 January 2010 05:54 PM

I think 163W would be a better Option! Nice pun hey.. i’ll be here all week.

£209 is an amazing price.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 12 January 2010 06:01 PM

Alternatively you can pick up a Redline 08/09 from the distributor in the UK Noble Custom.

THey have a 163W in their bargain basement for £200… you’ll have to ring them.. but they are cool guys so they’ll be helpful. Check

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 12 January 2010 07:42 PM

Actually the Redline from noblecustom is from 07/08, at least going after what the list says.
Also: correct link: UK Noble Custom Offer List

Search the Forum: