Atomic Alibi Renu Right for me 156 or 159

0wen

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2011-02-14

Posted: 14 February 2011 07:37 PM

Hi,

I am 6’2 and 90kg been riding a little while and just starting to carve, alot of my boarding will be at a snowdome untill next winter though going to Germany for a weekends boarding in a month.

I really like the Atomic Alibi Renu (For its green potential, and style) and wonder if this is good for boading and a little jumping.

I can’t see myself doing much park riding abroad though might do some in the UK and I can’t decide if I should go for 156 or 159.

I guess 159 would be better abroad but maybe 156 is good for some park riding (Bear in mind that the snow domes only 150m in length.

So idealy I want to know if this board will be good for a number of years as I want to progress up with the same board and not spend too much money on having to buy a new boad and if its not going to be too hard for my early intermedit skills

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 15 February 2011 10:04 AM

Hi Owen,

Yeah the Alibi is an awsome board. Problem is, it’s not really the type of board you take to Hemel Hempstead for a few laps. The flex is firm, the board feels fairly directional and it’s really damp. It’s the kind of board you aim down some choppy off piste and hold on for dear life or aim at a 15m table top and stick the nicest straight airs. For your height and weight I’d advise the 159 as an absolute minimum because the board is all mountain with a freeride focus. For the Dome you want a low cost twin, with a soft flex and most probably a rocker profile and short running length, something like the Atomic Pivot.

There are compromise options, you might find the Atomic Hatchet offers you something for both and I’d recommend it if I hadn’t seen next years and much prefered it. Next year’s Hatchet looks amazing!

Rich

0wen

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2011-02-14

Posted: 15 February 2011 11:35 AM

Hi Rich,

Thanks for taking the time to reply so I guess the Alibi would be best as my board for holidays in the mountains or would you suggest somethign else?

Hemelhemsted have a Snow & Rock shop where you can try demo boards. There stock of boards is here (http://www.snowandrock.com/boards/snowboard/fcp-category/list?resetFilters=true) are there any you would suggest that I Demo purly for use at hemel hemsted and for their indoor park? What length should I go for?

Thanks,

0wen

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2011-02-14

Posted: 15 February 2011 01:37 PM

Hi Rich,

Just been looking at reviews for the Hatchet and found one for £260 they are hard to find! I would not buy a bike without trying it first but should I take the same line with this board or do you think this really is the best board to go for?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 17 February 2011 10:14 AM

I think next year’s Hatchet is the best board to go for if you can hold on… looks so nice.

If you want to enjoy a board that performs all over the mountain but won’t leave you out in the warm when you hit up one of the Domes it is a good choice. But there are plenty of other boards that would fit your requirements like the Never Summer Evo, Yes Typo, Rossignol Angus & Taipan, K2 Turbo Dream and Nitro Addict to list a few. THese boards are primarily park boards that will work in powder and cruising around the rest of the mountain too.

Of course the best option would be to pick up an Alibi Renu in the sale and with the money saved pick up a cheaper jib board for wrecking on rails. Blue-Tomato are having a sale at the moment, I think they currently have 20% off an Alibi 159 so it’s £340 with free postage. link here

Filarinskis also have the Alibi at £330 link here and a limited edition Hatchet 156 at £230 link here.

Rich

Search the Forum: