Posted: 11 February 2011 05:58 AM
To Rich and whoever that has rode the YES or Jones Camrock profile boards. I was thinking about getting the Signal Omni, YES Great Beauties of History, or the Jones Mountain Twin for next season. Looking for a bit softer board than my T.Rice (which is a great board btw).
The question I’m wondering is can you feel the camber popping you out of turns (for the YES and Jones)? Because I see that the camber is between the feet which just by visualizing, I can’t see how you can weight or unweight the camber. And also the camber is so mellow (1-2 mm?), might as well be flat. For the signal omni, I can see in their video that you can actually weight the camber and thus therefore making the rocker rise even more.
Posted: 11 February 2011 09:55 AM
Yeah it’s definitely not the same feeling as Camber or C2/RC Tech. In most instances the camber ends under the feet, the advantage beeing that almost all of the board control is at your feet which makes the board feel very nimble and particularly easy to ride switch. The down side of this profile is that when you are riding hard snow conditions you get very little recoil from the tail out of turns. It is possible to get a slight nudge out of turns but it isn’t the donkey kick you get from a cambered board. I beleive the idea behind varying the depth of camber is to make sure that more of the riders weight is distrubuted at the feet. When Nidecker introduced Camrock on their freeride boards last year we thought that there wasn’t enough camber as the boards felt a bit squirly on harder snow, they’ve now made the camber deeper so I’m keen to get on a Nidecker and check out if it makes an improvement.
My advice would be to go for the Signal Omin as it’s a fair bit softer than your Rice. You can then take the Rice out on hard days and the Signal out on park days. Alternatively you could look at boards with Pop rocker (or pressure loaded early rise tips), these behave slightly more like camber than traditional Camrock as the tips are only rockered when weight is applied to the board. Next year’s Atomic Hatchet uses Pop Rocker and looks incredible and it’s always got a low price tag.
Posted: 11 February 2011 10:03 AM
Thanks for the reply Rich. I checked out Nidecker’s site and they have different type of camrock. But it seems that the YES boards only has very mellow camber. Hopefully, money-willing I will have my hands on the Omni (probably the 156). I don’t really do much park, just starting to learn small jumps (straight airs) in the beginner park. The main reason I want a softer board is to learn butters and presses which I found quite hard on the Rice since it’s stiff under foot and also doubles as a pow board.