Board advice intermediate boarder after broken my custom x on a rock

Dude

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2011-02-09

Posted: 09 February 2011 11:10 PM

Dear,

Last wintersport I broke my custom x 164w 2008/2009. Now I’m looking for a new board and I’m in doubt because your advice is to not use this board if your not an expert. Maybe better a flying-V or something else?

I’m 195 cm, 80kg, bootsize 13.

I once went down the mountain with 112 km/h, so I’m fast and it easy to control the board with that speed. But I’m not good in the park or with tricks. Best I can is a simple jump of about 1.5 m. No rails, boxes and stuff. I like going offpiste, and I’m faster then most friends, but offpiste I fall quite often (partly because I try things that I can not) and they maneuver easier. Shortly I would say my level is intermediate.

Before this custom x I only rented boards, but these are mostly nervous to me at higher speeds and I don’t like that. Comparing to these rented boards the custom x was really good for me, but rented baords are always shitty so not a good reference.

I’d like to do some more simple park stuff, but I’m afraid of loosing much control on icy slopes because I still going fast. What do you advice me? Do you really think it will make a difference when I choose a less stiffer board. You say the custom x is unforgivable but how would I experience that? You think I won’t fall that often when I’m going off piste and do you think I will get better with other boards in the park? Or should I buy a new custom X 162W, instead of 164W, because a 162w is easier maneuverable.

Looking forward for your response.
Regards,
Hans

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 10 February 2011 12:17 PM

How did you personally feel about riding your old custom X? No matter what we say, if you loved riding it, it couldn’t have been too bad..

You might want to check out the Amplid Paradigma, stiffness is between the custom and the custom X and it’s cambered, so you will have all the grip you need when going fast. Also, the Capita BSOD might be interesting for you as well as some boards out of the Palmer range as they.build superior quality freeride boards!

Hope this helped, cheers Tobi

Dude

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2011-02-09

Posted: 10 February 2011 11:47 PM

Thanx for your fast reply Tobi,

Today I tested a Custom flying V indoor. A world of a difference compared to my custom x. I didn’t expect that. So much more flexible. Cost me less energy to make turn. But I think I’ll lose control with higher speed on the slopes.

Afterwards I tried a Slayblade W 159. Indoor this felt like a good board to me and easier to maneuvre than my old custom x 164.

But now the big question is. Is the slayblade 159W easier to maneuvre than the custom X 164w because it is a shorter board or is it the slayblade more flexible than the custom x? Because of my length 195 cm I think I better choose the slayblade 163W than the 159W when I go for the slayblade.

Regards,
Hans

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 11 February 2011 01:46 AM

Well as the Slayblade has Zero Camber on it which is a mixture between camber and rocker (=flat =zero) it is surely easier to ride than the custom x and it is way more playful while still not losing too much of the camber advantages. If you liked the Slayblade you should look no further (except that next years Amplid Paradigma will also be zero-cambered, hehe).

As you are only going to the park occasionally I too think you should go with the 163 to get as much stability as possible for going fast.

Cheers Tobi

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 11 February 2011 10:21 AM

I think you will find the 163W is a little stiffer than the 159W you tested as you would be in the middle of the weight recommendations for the 159W and at the bottom of the weight recommendations for the 163W. I guess it depends, if you rode the 159W and thought hey this board could do with stiffening up a little and I could do with the extra effective edge for grip, then go big, you do have the advantage of being tall. If you rode the 159W and felt that it was a good fit, then it might be a worth sticking to what you know. I’m playing devils advocate here, apologies. Freeriding and performance on the groomers = 163W. More Playful all mountain freestyle board = 159W.

Search the Forum: