Not another one ha ha ha !!!!!

crocko

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-02-09

Posted: 09 February 2011 08:42 PM

Yep, you guessed it. Another one of those which board posts. Looking for a new all mountain board to buy and my head hurts through all the choice out there :0). Im 6’1 (185cm), 80 kg and a big footed uk12. Know im going to need a wide board in the 158-161 sort of area but which one ???

Im a reasonably boarder ability wise and this is my first board to buy. Thinking all mountain as i love to just mess around on the slopes. Not break neck speeds down to the bottom, more having a great time on the way down with a bit of powder thrown in. Done a lot of looking around and thought this the best place to get advice, dont let me down please ha ha. Board wise im thinking: forum destroyer, skate banana, artec gabe taylor, bataleon jam and goliath.  Would really appreciate some input.

Cheers people

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 10 February 2011 10:04 AM

The boards you mentioned are surely all allmountain-freestyle rides although tending more to the freestyle side just as you wrote you want your new board to be. The only exception is te Bat Jam which is more an aggressive and really stiff point-and-shoot ride.
Another board worth looking at would be the Rossi Angus.

You’re welcome to coke back with more questions!

Cheers Tobi

crocko

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-02-09

Posted: 10 February 2011 08:16 PM

Thanks for the reply tobi. This forum seems a great place to get some decent advice, the shops just want to tell me a load of crap to sell me the boards they have in stock.  I have a few more questions im afraid ha ha. The skate banana, ive read some brilliant reviews on it but am thinking is it not mainly park focused as opposed to a great fun piste board that im after ????
The forum destroyer I see they do in both rocker and camber, what would suit better ??? Also, whats the difference in the destroyer and the ‘chilly dog’ destroyer and would a 158w be ok as I think this is the largest they do if im right.
Lastly, with the Goliath is this board any good ?? Cant seem to find any great reviews about the whole TBT stuff they’re going with.
Right, off to have a look at the Angus and see what thats all about.

Cheers for the help again

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 11 February 2011 09:41 AM

Well Chillidog is just Forum’s name for it’s radial rocker, a rocker that follows a single radius. This rocker type makes boards really playful but also really loose on hardpack snow. The Scallywag which uses Chillidog is one of the funnest boards on the market, but it’s definitely a park board that won’t really kick it on the groomers.

I think if you are looking for a board that performs on the piste and is fun to mess around on, a board with Camrock/Amptek is going to be the best option. The boards are torsionally stiff and cambered between the bindings which gives good edge control and grip and the nose and tail are soft for butters, presses and forgiving landings. I use my Angus for riding everything from pow, to groomers, to parks to a switch to camber MTX on my JDub or on super deep days when I switch to a tapered 164 Twilight pow board. The short running length on Camrock/Amptek boards also makes them really nimble and stable when straight lining.

Rich

skip11

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 110 Joined 2010-07-22

Posted: 11 February 2011 10:06 AM

I demoed the Youngblood Chillydog which I think is a bit softer version of the destroyer. Did not like it, feels way too loose for me. If you like presses, butters, and doing park I guess it would be a good board for you.

crocko

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-02-09

Posted: 13 February 2011 03:38 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

Had a look at the Angus and its looking like a great board and just the sort of thing I’m after. My only problem is the size, I see the lagest they do is a mid wide in 158 or 162. Would this be ok as I have large feet (uk12) Im 6’1’’ and 80 kg ??? If not, is there any other boards you’de recommend with camrock/amptek ? Really gotta get one soon as off in two weeks to play in the snow.

Cheers again

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 13 February 2011 09:40 PM

Crocko, check out the Nitro Addict 159W, with 26.5cm at the waist there should be enough width underfoot to accomidate your UK12 boots. It’s a good hybrid camber/rocker board designed for progressing intermediates.

Rich

crocko

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-02-09

Posted: 16 February 2011 12:51 AM

Right, after a lot of looking around and good advice I’ve set myself on three boards. The Rossi Angus, the One Magtek and the Never Summer SL. Good choices do we think ?? I think I should be ok on the mid wide versions as my boot is a US 12.5, no ????
So, what board do we think guys and length would help aswell. Please refer to posts above for what Im after out of the board. Really have appreciated the help and the site is awesome for everything you need to know. Congrats. Last then. Where can I lay my hands on these boards ??????????? Im UK based so proving tricky I can tell ya

Cheers

AlpineEthos

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2011-01-29

Posted: 16 February 2011 12:01 PM

Just got my hands on a 2011 Rossi One and love it.  Great board for playing on the piste and hopefully off it too (if we see any more pow this season of course). 

For sizing I’ve got 10.5 UK Vans Cirros and haven’t had any issues with toever hang or heel drag so far on my 156.  The Magnatraction does bulge out a little so you might get away with something narrower than you expect. 

For sourcing it I got mine from a French site (http://www.adrenaline-ski-shop.com/) but I am in France!  I think Chain Reaction Cycles were the only place in the UK selling them and Blue Tomato also had some. 

Hope you find one fella they’re ace.

Andy

crocko

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-02-09

Posted: 16 February 2011 08:18 PM

Magic, cheers for the heads up Andy.

Im now down to two, both Rossi’s. Either the Angus or the One Magtek. Angus comes in 158mW and 162mW and One Magtek in 157mw and 161mW (think this board is white in mW, no ?????). So just gotta now decide on which board and which size. For re-cap Im 6’1 (185cm) and just under 80kg.

So, what do we reckon ????? I’m itching to get my hands on one of theses beauties ha ha ha

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 17 February 2011 10:20 AM

You said that you prefer messing around on your way down the pistes than blasting at mack 10. Therefore I would advise you go for the Angus 158mW. I’m happy blasting about on my Angus but it’s in its real element just messing around, the softer tips make butters so easy.

Darkstar

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2011-02-09

Posted: 18 February 2011 09:18 AM

I wouldnt recommend the skate banana for an all mountain board. I demo’d it and it tore it up in the park but it gets pretty squirrely at speed. The MTX was nice on ice and it did pretty well in powder but it did not give me a smooth ride once i took it down some of the steeper groomers. Course when i demod it i had been used to an insanely stiff board.

Search the Forum: