HELP! Board Suggestion!

jdkitto

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2011-02-08

Posted: 08 February 2011 02:33 AM

I am going to buy a new board and I have narrowed my selection to two boards: Burton Custom Flying V and the Burton Custom Flying V Squeezebox. Is there any reason why you wouldn’t choose the Squeezebox over the standard Flying V??? I also don’t know which size I should get. I am 5ft. 11” and weigh 130lbs. I am thinking 154 or 156 but the squeezebox only comes in 154 and 158. If somebody can give me advice that would be great.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 08 February 2011 09:18 AM

The Burton representative we were talking to at ISPO said that the squeezebox is a better ride than the regular Custom Flying-V but it’s a next season’s ride so you have to wait some more to find it available in shops.

Weighing not even 60kg you should probably be fine on the 154 but if you are only looking in to allmountain riding and not in to jibs Anfang rails and such, you could also go with the 158 which will be quite a handful then but will provide more stability.

Hope this helped, cheers Tobi

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 08 February 2011 05:31 PM

Yeah I’m very excited about trying the Squeeze box. Apparently the idea of a negative core profile which is what was used on the original flying V (where the core gets thicker under the bindings) is a technology that was developed for cambered boards. When the engineers at Burton tried the complete oposite getting thicker between the feet and after the bindings they found that the board had both more pop and edge hold. Anyway thats the sales spiel we’ve been given but it does sound intruiging. I shouldn’t think we’ll be able to get hold of these board before May, so unfortunately we can’t give you our personal experiences of the board.

Rich

jdkitto

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2011-02-08

Posted: 08 February 2011 11:59 PM

Thank you guys, I think it should be available to me since I order online, due to the lack of shops around me. It seems to be that you can buy it directly from burton’s website. I’ll be picking one of these up during the offseason. Now what about binding choice for the Custom Flying V? The Burton Cartels seem to be a good choice. There are 2 types though… the Cartel EST and the Cartel Re:flex. The Re:flex version is $230 while the EST is $260. This doesn’t seem right though because the Re:flex has the exclusive reflex baseplate that can mount on any board, while the EST can only mount on the channel. It seems that the Re:flex should be more expensive. Can anyone explain?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 11 February 2011 10:10 AM

Yeah unfortunately Burton use the ICS binding mounting channel on the Custom and the rest of it’s high end boards for that matter. You can mount the Reflex binding to the ICS channel but for ease of fit and for optimal performance the EST binding is the better choice. Again there is a catch, if you go for the EST system you are stuck with Burton boards until you decide to change your bindings. The ICS system might offer a slightly different feel, but it’s primarily a very good way of selling bindings and boards together… monopolising.

Search the Forum: