Advice on buying a board and what to avoid?

whiteferret

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2011-02-04

Posted: 04 February 2011 06:06 AM

Hey Guys,

  I’m looking to buy a board to mainly freeride and have fun with.  I’m 5’9” 150lbs, goofy foot with a size 8 shoe. I’m a relatively new snowboarder and this is going to be my first snowboard setup as I’ve been using rentals until now.  I’ve been looking at different brands and was thinking about a Never Summer Premier F1. What other boards should I be looking at? Is there anything I should be looking out for?  What’s the best way to piece a set together?

Thanks for the advice.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 04 February 2011 06:31 PM

Hi White Ferret,

My advice would be to try not to go too stiff to start with. I’m afraid this means that the Premier F1 isn’t ideal. These boards are designed for advanced and aggresive freeriders who can use the boards firm torsional and longitudinal stiffness to get the best performance out of the board. Super fast carves in chop, solid landings off big drops etc etc. If you go for a slightly softer, slightly less damp board you will find your ability and feel for the board / board control increases much more quickly.

Just so I can point you to some boards, can you answer these questions:

* When you say freeride, does this mean riding powder or generally cruising around the groomers and darting off into the trees and pow at the side of the slopes.

* So you’re buying your first board. How confident are you at carving, riding switch, hitting jumps and generally charging? Do you have any issues with steep black runs?

* Do you like to power through tyour carves and dart from edge-to-edge or is snowboarding more about cruising around and just having a laugh?

Cheers

Rich

whiteferret

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2011-02-04

Posted: 04 February 2011 10:53 PM

Currently its more staying on the groomed runs, with the goal of doing a lot more powder. 

I’m pretty comfortable riding switch, I’m still getting used to and learning the rest. I’m not confident enough in my abilities to go down a steep black run, but I would like to make sure that the board I buy will be suitable for doing this as my skill improves.

I enjoy doing both, it really depends on my mood.

The main goal for me buying a board is to cut out the rental costs and get more time/weekends on the mountain. Along with be able to learn more efficiently knowing that my board isn’t constantly changing each time I go out.

Search the Forum: