Posted: 03 February 2011 02:15 AM
I was hoping to get some feedback on a new board purchase. I currently ride an 07 Rome Agent 158. In the past I have been comfortable hitting the jumps and have ignored the boxes and rails. But the past 2 seasons I find myself dabbling more and more on them and also having a desire to butter more (which I struggle with, perhaps because I have a stiffer board?). I ride in Lake Tahoe and mostly Sierra at Tahoe. I am comfortable on every jump on that maintain and I don’t have a desire to go any bigger so i want a board that will maintain my ability to hit them but also tear it up in the park. Finally, I am also starting to throw rotations into my game (just 1’s & 3’s) so I am wondering if I should go down in size to help improve in that area as well. I am 6’0”, 180lbs, size 9 boot, and I trying to keep it under $500. Hopefully that is enough info/background to get some solid feedback on my next board.
Thanks much!
Posted: 03 February 2011 09:50 PM
To add to the above, I am looking hard at the Yes Typo 156 and the Never Summer Evo R 155 or 158. based on my long description above am I on the right track or should I be looking at something else? Thanks again
Posted: 06 February 2011 07:00 PM
Still hoping for some feedback to see if I’m on the right track regarding board and size of i.
Thanks again!
Posted: 06 February 2011 08:25 PM
Hi there buddy, I’m chilling in my Hotel room with Rich right now after a long day at ISPO, surfing with my mobile phone so excuse my short reply.
Both of the boards you mentioned, the Evo as well as the Typo would absolutely do the job. But looking at your stats you should probably size up to 158 at least. You could also have look at the Rome Agent Rocker which is pretty similar to the Evo.
Cheers Tobi
Posted: 06 February 2011 09:10 PM
Thanks for your feedback Tobi! So if I was going to go with the YES would you say the 159 was a better choice than the 156 for me?
on a different note, this is probably naive but does binding choice really make a big difference when spending most of the time in the park? I am riding Burton C60s but I sense most park riders favor the Union bindings. Is that a “coolness” factor or is there a noticeable difference in performance?
Thanks
Posted: 06 February 2011 09:30 PM
Yes, I’d say go with the 159 as you are definitely heavy enough to be in it’s range.
Well it’s not just about UNION but your C60s are really stiff and responsive bindings so they are not the perfect fit for riding park. In the park you mostly ride less stiff bindings with more of a loose-fit.
You might want to have a look at Burton Missions or Union Forces, they are great allmountain Freestyle bindings!
Hope this helped, cheers Tobi
Posted: 07 February 2011 05:48 PM
Thanks again Tobi! I’m leaning toward the Typo 2 but with my desire to starting spinning more I’m curious if the 156 would be the better choice. At 180 lbs what do you think are the +/-‘s of choosing the 156 over the 159?
Also, Do you think the Union contact bindings would be a good choice with either size?
Thanks Again.
Posted: 07 February 2011 07:20 PM
You’re welcome!
The shorter the board, the easier it is to, flex and initiate turns. But with a longer running length the board will provide you with less chattering.when going fast and better edgehold.
You should have a look at the Typo’s weight ranges for the different lenghts.
The Contacts would be okay, mind telling me why you’d chose them over e.g. the Force?
Cheers Tobi
Posted: 07 February 2011 07:28 PM
Maybe information overload on the Contacts…I might have read somewhere that the Contacts worked well with Rocker and RC type boards. The Forces seem to be more all purpose.?
Thanks
Posted: 07 February 2011 08:08 PM
Sure thing, just go with the Contact if you like it, it’s a solid freestyle binding for mainly park and rails. Only downside is it won’t give you the response you might want to have on bigger jumps and general piste riding. But in the park this will definitely work great!
Posted: 07 February 2011 09:06 PM
No problem mate, that’s what we are here for, always glad to help!