Need your help!!! Which board to buy?

mpierotti

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2011-01-31

Posted: 31 January 2011 04:08 AM

First of all, this site is amazing! It has been so helpful in my search for a new board.  Thanks for all the work you guys do!  I’m looking for a new board and am completely overwhelmed by the options.  I could really use some help narrowing it down.  I’m an intermediate level boarder who lives in Chicago, so most of my boarding is on hard pack snow.  I try to get out to Utah or Colorado once or twice a year to get some powder.  I’ve been riding an old Option Redline (probably 8-10 years old) and way too small for me.  I’m looking for a board that can do it all!  I spend most of my time on groomers but do like to make a run through the park every once and a while and love powder and backcountry when available.  I’m not that interested in a board that can handle blazing speed, but I still want something that feels stable at decent speeds.  I need something that can hold an edge pretty well, is fun to carve with, can hit jumps, is functional in the park, and is somewhat lively and playful with some pop.  I’d also like something that is friendly (doesn’t catch an edge easily) since I’m still learning.  I like the idea of a hybrid camber board, but not sure if I would be better suited with a cambered board.  I’ve been looking at some hybrid camber boards and want to know if any of these would be a good choice…Rossignol One Magtek, Jones Mountain Twin, Nidecker Legacy, Rome Anthem.  I’m really curious about the Jones Mountain Twin, but ultimately just want the best board for me.  So again, would these boards be a good choice, or would I be best suited with a traditional cambered board?  Thanks so much for your help!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 31 January 2011 10:37 AM

Hi Mpierotti,

Thanks for the props on the site, we aim to please!

Actually the Jones Mountain Twin and the Rossi One sound like they are spot on for what you are looking for. Plenty of grip on hard groomers from the Magnetraction edges and then loads of float in the powder from the rockered tips when you head out west. I think the other boards on your list like the Rome Anthem and the Nidecker Legacy are more freeride focused for charging hard… but if it’s mostly carving on groomers you want to do and hitting pow these boards would be top choices.

With regards to the Jones Mountain you might find it hard to purchase one at the moment. The boards have been absolutely flying off the Shelves… Mr Jones has been baking some serious hot cakes in the Nidecker factory. The good news is that next year’s Mountain Twin looks even better. I should have some pics of it on the site in the next couple of weeks as I’m off to ISPO (Europe’s biggest wintersports trade fair) in the weekend. The biggest difference between the Jones’ Camrock profile and the One’s Amptek profile is that although on paper they are pretty much identical, I have found that Amptek has a touch more camber between the feet. On soft snow it doesn’t make a difference. On harder snow I find the Jones feels a little looser because it feels like the board takes some of your weight at the centre of the board… to be honest it doesn’t make much difference. They’re both fantastic boards that would be ideal for what you intend to use it for.

Rich

mpierotti

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2011-01-31

Posted: 01 February 2011 04:25 AM

Thanks for the help!  I guess a follow up question would be what bindings do you recommend for either the Rossi One Magtek or the Jones Mountain Twin?  I currently have some old Ride LX bindings but figure I’ll go all in and get some new bindings since I’m already buying a new board.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 01 February 2011 07:33 AM

I’ advise a supportive mid-flexing all mountain binding. Something like the Drake Supersport which I’m riding at the minute (crazy comfortable), the Salomon Code bindings or the Nitro Raiden Blackhawks. There’s no need to blow your budget on super expensive bindings, but at the same time I’d probably spend a little over the mid price point.

mpierotti

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2011-01-31

Posted: 06 February 2011 10:28 PM

How different are bindings from a couple years back to now?  The reason I ask is that I can get the 2008/2009 Nitro Raiden Blackhawks that you recommended for $150.  If I buy the current 2010/2011 version I have to fork out $250.  Is the technology that much different over 2 years?  Or is it a better decision to to spend the money and get the most up to date bindings?  Thanks for your help!

P.S. I did wind up getting the Rossignol One Magtek.  I got a great deal on it also…$350!  And you were definitely right about the Jones Mountain Twin…it is sold out everywhere.

Also, what binding stance/angles do you recommend for an all mountain boarder like me?  I know it is mainly personal preference, but I was just curious to get your opinion.  Thanks again!

Search the Forum: