Posted: 30 January 2011 11:06 AM
hey,
first, i love the site. the forum is more helpful than an AA meeting for a alcoholic. you guys are dedicated to helping the boarding community hats of to you guys.
OK to my question, i live in the Midwest (Minnesota) and ride an “alp” as the resort calls it its more like decently steep hills the elevation is 700ft it has a few mini terrain parks with a total of around 20 jibs and 2 yes 2 jumps and there barley jumps.the ski patrol kicks you out when go into the woods to try to find some pow i am ashamed to call it my stomping grounds :( .i even go to the bunny hill to pass time when I’m bored of the parks. Skiers over crowd the small “alp” so I’m looking to broaden my skill set by doing some street shredding. i just want some suggestions on a durable board that can handle getting beat up.like a board so bad ass that if it was a girl you wouldn’t bring her home to meet the family. i will ride anything from a 146-154. any info will help thanks ahead of the time.
( until i find a board i will be using my 2010 salomon salvator sanchez 154(cambered) i think it will be a little iffy but what the hell who cares i got it for $134 from a local shop and my friend payed $350 for the same board.)
Posted: 30 January 2011 11:31 AM
Your home resort sounds pretty limited… I’d definitely start hitting street spots. Thing is with street spots is they down’t have to be gnarly to be super fun.
There are tons of options out there at the lower end of the proice spectrum although I don’t think your Salvatore Sanchez is too far of the mark.
Zero camber is going to be good for rails so check out the Nitro Swindle and the Salomon Salomander. If you want a board with a bit of rocker check out the DC PBJ, the Ride Kink and the Rome Artifact Rocker.
If none of these catch your eye use the board Selecta. click “rails”, “twin” and “medium price”, you’ll have tons of options.
Also if you plan to use it on street spots it might be worth looking to pick up a board second hand.
Posted: 30 January 2011 11:41 AM
ok that sounds like great advice im leaning towards the artifact rocker.
i’ve always wondered what the board selecta was and now i know its super helpful thats why i come here for advice thanks Rich
Posted: 01 February 2011 12:00 AM
If you have a crew of peeps too you can invest in the Banshee Bungee. You have probably seen it in some snowboard flicks, a lot of urban guys are using them as opposed to transporting larger ramps.
I have never used one but if you do be careful, from demos I’ve seen they can really haul your body fast.
Actually, I am going to be working on a safety in snowboarding video highlighting some safety gear I have been using and where to get it.
Posted: 01 February 2011 07:46 AM
Have you ridden a bungee yet Steve? It’s got to be easier than a sketchy drop-in ramp. When I first heard of them I thought they were completely ridiculous. After I saw a video I was really impressed. Only problem being that you need a crew of at least 3 people so you have two to pull the bungee.
Posted: 01 February 2011 08:23 AM
lol… no urban riding for me yet! I have mental issues with one foot rails in the park, once I get my butt on those then I might expand to the mean, cold streets. :)
Yeah, I think they can get you to 35 MPH which is nuts. Dan Brisse used it for his death gaps in Now/Here… insane stuff.
Posted: 05 February 2011 10:48 AM
How much would a bungee run for in the US and would they be a thing i could find at a board shop or do i have to order it?
Posted: 05 February 2011 11:17 AM
So i was at my local board shop to pick up a new sweater so i went across the street to there outlet and something caught my eye on there outlet boards… A 2011 salomon salomander for $100 and a salomon salvartor sanchez 2011 for $100 and finally a k2 www 2011 for $100 i was i heaven until i got closer and saw why they were so cheap they all had the ring left on them from bindings so i was like wtf that doesnt really matter for that price then i turned over the salomander and it looked like Freddy krueger attacked it so i was mad so i check out the other two same story i was so mad they where beyond repair and they where all the size i wanted totally random but an epic fail by the board shop
Posted: 05 February 2011 11:29 AM
Yeah that is an epic fail, they could ayt least ptex and stone grind the base.
Check out the Banshee Bungee site, you are talking $150 for a 10ft bungee and $230 for a 20ft bungee. You can order them off the site.
Afraid I don’t know any more about it, urban shredding isn’t really my cup of tea.
Posted: 05 February 2011 05:57 PM
From what I heard, those Banshee Bungees really are great!
So if you are hitting the streets regularly, check with your mates and buy one together, hurts so much less as they aren’t literally cheap..