Help with Burton Custom/which board to get.

usablefiber

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2011-01-26

Posted: 26 January 2011 05:18 AM

Hey, I am looking to buy a new board. I have been riding forever (14 years or so, started at 7 or 8).

I am an advanced all mountain rider who is all about speed, carving, and also some jumps and kickers. I also trust Burton and feel they have always been at the top in terms of new technology/high quality gear. So I was looking at their options for high end camber boards and I was very interested in the T7 and the Custom X, as well as the standard burton custom.

each look like tough, all mountain riders, but I was wondering basically what you are getting for the extra costs of the T7 and the Custom X and if the standard custom would in any way be a letdown for someone of my caliber but who may be a bit hesitant to spend 700+ on a new board. Any info or experience with these guys, or any other recommendations? Thanks!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 27 January 2011 09:34 AM

All I can say is, the Custom X is a dream machine. Agreed it’s a crazy price tag, but if I had that kind of money available and I was looking for what you mentioned I would buy the Custom X in an instant. Nice and light, ridiculously responsive, very lively fpr jumping and popping out of carves, but it’s real selling point is it’s grip in a carve, for this it might be the best board I have ever ridden. I haven’t ridden the standard Custom and I’m sure it’s great, but I can’t imagine it grips like the custom X. Is it worth spending nore and going ofr the T7? I don’t know, I’m not bad on a snowboard and the Custom X provided more performance than I will ever need… incredible board.

powdog

Piste Cruiser
RankRank
Total Posts: 25 Joined 2010-10-23

Posted: 27 January 2011 08:53 PM

hey rich - how does the custom x handle powder?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 January 2011 10:22 AM

Absolutely no problems in powder. The Custom shape is renowned for being versatile, and I found it dealt with all conditions really well. Sure there’s not as much float on tap as a rockered board, or a tapered shape, but for a directional cambered all-mountain board it floats great in pow.

usablefiber

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 3 Joined 2011-01-26

Posted: 08 February 2011 03:21 AM

Thanks, I am sold. Just checked out the custom X and you were right about the grip and rip. It s awesome. Even if it is really pricey I think I am gonna do it, Hopefully it lasts a long time to make it worth it.

Again thanks for the advice.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 08 February 2011 05:33 PM

No trouble… yeah that board is like a katana blade, the edges slice through anything… incredible grip.

Search the Forum: