Thinking of buying a used Option Sansalone 161 Pro Snowboard

nickyc

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-01-21

Posted: 21 January 2011 01:28 PM

Hi guys,

Im thinking of buying a used “Option Sansalone 161 Pro Snowboard” and id just like to know what you guys with a greater snowboarding knowledge then me (not hard ;)) think of this board.

I’m 6ft, 12stone and would call myself a usefull intermediate. I’m looking for a good all round board as my trips are unfortunately limited to one or two weeks a year so I want to do everything and not have to worry that some crappy rental is going to let me down.

The board looks to be in good shape (only used twice) and comes with “Technine MFM Pro Bindings Size M”, the asking price is €250 or 340US. Any help or better suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

Image Attachments  1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263362179f0b06e0bb2e6871ad3ff0328ee67.jpg

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 21 January 2011 06:47 PM

Hey there nickyc, from what I gathered, the Option Sansalone Pro is a pretty stiff ride for intermediate to advanced riders.
It is most probably in the league of the NeverSummer SL or maybe even stiffer which means that this ride is going to be quite a handful and you should be more of the aggressive rider type to get the most out of it.
If you are one- this should do it’s job!

As for the bindings, you should check google for “technine mfm pro”, I just stumbled upon a thread where people were nothing but raving about the bindings and scolded Tech9 bindings like crazy..

Just do some more research on the web in case you are still having trouble deciding whether to buy it or not.
You’re welcome to ask more questions here at the forums in case you are deciding to look further and go with another board.

Cheers, Tobi

nickyc

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-01-21

Posted: 21 January 2011 07:56 PM

Thanks for the fast reply tobi,sound advice,just looked at some reviews of the tech9 bindings and they got slated by everone!,sounds like I wouldnt have even made it off the chair lift with em! so thats kinnda put me off the whole deal to be honest. I suppose im lookin at the new board option now and I have another question or two if you dont mind. Could you recommend a good all round set-up, like I said id be a usefull enough intermediate, I know thats a very broad question as theres so much out there but a push in the right direction would be very helpfull. Also would I be better off trying to source a set-up at home (ireland) or the uk or wait altogether till I get to france in march,oh yeah my budget would be about 450euro (380 sterling).Many thanks,nick

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 21 January 2011 11:00 PM

I’d probably order from the Uk or select European stores before you go. For one, the exchange rate is very favourable for buying in sterling. Also if you go on Blue-Tomato.com they’re having a very slight sale at the moment and they chuck in postage for free in most cases.

Here’s a list of boards you might like:

Endeavor Guerilla - I really enjoyed this board, good looking and great understated performance. A nice poppy medium flex and a shape and sidecut that worked great for carving and hitting jumps in the park. It’s not super high spec but it rides great. Check out the Endeavor Live if you are feeling a touch more flush.

Rome Graft - Available in standard camber or rocker, the Rome board built for the indesisve intermediate who wants to work on all elements of their riding.

Nitro Addict - If you are looking for something a little different, this board has rocker between the bindings and camber at the tips, playful and poppy it’s a great mix and this board is going at a great price.

Rossi One or Angus - Two very popular boards on the site. The Angus is the narrowly softer slightly more park focused board of the two, but the One has the advantage of Magnetraction edges.

Ride Machette - Slightly rockered all mountain freestyle board, perhaps not the best of the above boards at carving but a great board for pow and park missions.

Salomon Answer - Probably the most advanced board in this list. The Answer has two main features that make it a winner. Wingtip profile which is slight early rise tips, great for carving and grip if you are spending long days riding the 3 Valleys and back but the early rise improves float for those powder missions. It also has bamboo in the core… everyboard I have ridden with bamboo in the core I have liked, it gives a lively but mellow flex that makes riding smmoooottth. Steve who represents on the forum has just bought one, so he can probably give you a firts hand account of how it rides.

Rich

nickyc

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-01-21

Posted: 22 January 2011 12:23 AM

Cheers Rich,thanks a million for the help, heading straight over to blue tomato to wet my appetite!.The salomon board sounds very interesting indeed. So thanks again and il let you know how I get on. See you at the bottom for a pint!. Cheers, Nick

nickyc

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-01-21

Posted: 25 January 2011 11:42 PM

Hi again guys,ok so just ordered the answer board today,got the 158 with large arcade bindings,just stressing a bit that the board might not be wide enough im size 10uk boot,should there be an issue?,cheers guys

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 25 January 2011 11:47 PM

If your boot was a size smaller it would be ideal, but I’m sure it will be fine. Definitely not worth stressing about until the board has arrived, you’ve mounted the bindings and checked your boots for overhang. I’m pretty sure it will be fine.

Rich

nickyc

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-01-21

Posted: 25 January 2011 11:51 PM

very good rich..il let you know how i get on!..cant wait to test that bamboo stick out!

Search the Forum: