To wax or not to wax?

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

Vinzz

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2011-01-03

Posted: 11 January 2011 04:49 PM

Hi gentlemen!

I have a snowboard maintenance question: how often do I need to wax my board?

I searched the web, found various tips about how/when to wax your board, however doing all the “melt your wax/let it dry/remove excess/structure” seems really tedious, especially when you’re stuck with 5 friends in a 30m² apartment.

My questions then would be:

- Is there an easier solution? (e.g. cold wax that could quickly be applied to the board, like the skateboard wax for instance)
- Can I ride a whole week without rewaxing my board?
- Does the board sell already waxed or do I need to wax it before leaving? (Lib tech board)

Thxx!

MagnePange

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 108 Joined 2010-11-30

Posted: 11 January 2011 05:28 PM

How often? I really don´t know. I never waxed my first board. Ok. You can ride it still. But the base is seriously slow.

In your situation I don´t know if I should wax the board more than every third or second week. As long as the condtions are similar. If you have the right wax and it´s new and fresch on the board. It´s a really sweet feeling.

Then again reality comes into play. Fore sure I could do like the Swedish Olympic Skiiteam stars and ride pro wax skiis (boards) every day and also have a google sponsor so I could ride with a fresh lens everyday too. Again: real life means soggy goggels and more or less unwaxed boards.

No rule about how often. I do wax my board when it starts to feel slow.

Best of luck and a lot of pow pow to you and your five friends.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 11 January 2011 06:17 PM

You’ll know when you need to wax your board because the edges of the base will start to grey a little. My Angus has just started to grey a little and i haven’t waxed it for about 3 weeks. I’m going to wax it tomorrow and make a little vid on how to wax your board, so if you need any pointers. Give your board a good wax before you go on your hols and it’ll be fine. Cold rub on wax is no replacement for a hot wax and in my honest opinion is bit of a waste of time and money. Last season some of the guys on the forum were raving about a rub-on teflon polish that makes your board slide like sh*t off a shovel but I’ve not used it myself. A good hot wax with an all temp wax and then a couple of days in your airing cupboard before you scrape it and you’ll be fine for a week at this time of year. In spring slush you need to wax a bit more frequently because slush just sucks up wax.

skip11

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 110 Joined 2010-07-22

Posted: 11 January 2011 06:25 PM

Hmm maybe I’m the only wax freak here but I wax every 2-3 days of riding.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 11 January 2011 06:27 PM

That’s an expensive habit you’ve got there!

Dan Morgan

Administrator
Dan Morgan Avatar
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 39 Joined 2009-02-17

Posted: 11 January 2011 06:47 PM

I wax my snowsports equipment so infrequently I cannot remember when or where I last got them done. No patience to do it myself, though when gliding straight, I am always out ahead. Good wax retention I reckon.

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 12 January 2011 12:30 AM

I’m like you skip, after 3 days out I wax.  This time of year I used the cheap stuff, in the spring I put the fluro-carbon stuff on.

Got it down to a science outside…  I find it very spiritual to care for my equipment, a bonding time. :)

To O.P., I would wax even if manufacture waxed.  For sake of speed/cost it’s a machine wax which is pretty crappy compared to a hand wax.

I found rub on waxes work well in spring conditions…  water is what causes a lot of friction and slows you down so a rub wax before every spring session and I was a missile compared to a lot of other peeps on the hill.

tiffer

Snowboard Virgin
tiffer Avatar
Rank
Total Posts: 6 Joined 2011-01-11

Posted: 12 January 2011 07:37 PM

I’m a wax it every other day kinda guy myself, just a small no-steam iron does the job and if racin i use that zardos teflon stuff which is good an quick but the tub doesn’t go far!
Need to change my wax me thinks as it doesn’t seem to make a massive difference tho!
I’ve a question for the TBT owners out there, (just about to get one) how do you do the nose and tail bits?

Vinzz

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2011-01-03

Posted: 13 January 2011 05:26 PM

Allrighty, gonna wax it before leaving then.

I’d also like to bring some “fix it quick” wax along to be on the safe side.

I might sound a bit naive but I just read on Maxiglide that they have great rub on wax which is even better than hot waxing your board (no less!) :-D Has anyone any experience with that wax? (or a similar product)

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 14 January 2011 07:28 AM

No rub-on wax will ever be better then a hot wax, I can say that hands down without even looking at the product.

Rub will not penetrate as deep as a hot wax.

And yes, I used rub, penetrate and deep in the same sentence non-sexually.

onji

Snowboard Virgin
onji Avatar
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-02-03

Posted: 04 March 2011 06:10 AM

I noticed Rich said to leave the board drying out for 2 days before the scrape…. I thought giving it 30 mins to dry out would be ok?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 04 March 2011 09:24 AM

Yeah 30 mins is usually fine. On high grade sintered bases if you wax them and then pop them into a warm airing cupboard then the base will draw in more of the wax. To be honest it probably won’t make a huge difference, it’s just habit.

onji

Snowboard Virgin
onji Avatar
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2011-02-03

Posted: 04 March 2011 11:41 AM

So you’ve got one in the cupboard, while the other is out in the white stuff? I’ve gotta start get my quiver going

killsummer

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 1 Joined 2011-12-07

Posted: 07 December 2011 02:07 AM

I use Choad Cheese Wax every 2-3 days of riding. It’s locally sourced handcrafted wax made in the USA not some Bangladesh sweatshop.

http://crackgrease.com/store_wax.html

jonny80s

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2011-12-15

Posted: 15 December 2011 04:44 AM

What wax are you using?  My edges are burnt after one day. 

So far I’ve tried Hertel Super Hot Sauce (wicked soft) and Toko S3.

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 03 January 2012 01:00 PM

Use a hard alpine cold wax on your edges jonny80s, that stuff will hold up better.

I use KUUsport waxes, Canadian company from my hometown…  will always support them.

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

Search the Forum: