Posted: 02 January 2011 04:50 AM
I have been riding about 6yrs and feel confident as an all-mountain rider. I spend about 80% of my time riding and 20% in the park. I have been riding camber the entire time, and I am still building up my switch-riding skills. I would also like to take on more park elements.
I’m interested in the Slayblade as well as the hybrid rocker boards with Magnetraction, so Gnu Danny Kass and Rider Choice C2BTX, Lib Tech T Rice, Phoenix, and TRS C2BTX.
I like the idea of: the scintered base to stay speedy, zero camber or hybrid rocker to increase maneuverability and buttering, and magnetraction to max the edge with rocker.
Is this the right idea for what I’m talking about?
How is the transition from camber to zero-camber? vs. camber to hybrid rocker?
How much difference does Magnetraction make?
Thanks for the advice.
Posted: 02 January 2011 08:18 PM
Well the Slaybade would be the natural progression from the Zepplin, the change from Camber to Zero camber is almost un-noticeable, just a bit mellower. With regards to the Mervin decks you have listed with C2 banana, I think it’s a good option and to be honest there isn’t a huge amount of difference between the boards you have listed. I’ve ridden the Travis Rice 2010 which was awsome. A slightly firmer than medium flex, medium dampening and a solid pop. It carved well, was good on the bigger features in the park and loved charging on the groomers and in the pow, looking at what kind of riding you devide your time between the TRice fits the bill. If you want to progress your freestyle, you might find that the slightly softer boards in your list like the Riders Choice and TRS are more progressive.
Magnetraction definitely makes a difference but the difference is much more noticeable with complete reverse camber boards (standard banana). However, you will notice that you have as much grip as you did with comcentional camber. Powder to Ice… hmm not quite, but if the board includes it, it’s definitely a bonus.