Posted: 23 December 2010 12:34 PM
Well one thing fore sure: Rossi don´t mess around. This is a real board for real riders. First: if this board is for intermediate to expert riders one has to ask - on who´s definition?
I am an “expert++” rider according to UCPA ski / snowboarding schools. That´s for the spectrum of riders entering an class. The whole spectrum of riders, from beginner to pro is a lot different.In this spectra i am probably an intermediate my self. And I really think of that later spectrum when Rossi defines the One as a board for intermediates to expert riders. Soo from that point of view I really feel that this is a good board to progress upon and ride for many years.
My self is a 80 kg 178 cm 40 day (++) rider who has bought a 163 for speed, pow and boarder X. And for some park too. My park ambitions are limited to taking the park tricks in to cliffs, windlips etc. I hike a lot. If I can pick either park or pow I take pow ten times out of ten. I have ridden snowboard for 4 years.
Well - let´s go to the board it self:
Rossi One is a directional twin (2,95 cm setback on 163) that has full wood core and carbon / kevlar reinforcements. The flex pattern is 8 in the middle and softer (7) in the nose and tail. So for stiffness it rides well at speed. It is good on bigger landings. And higher speed run ups. I have tried some drops and some jumping in the over snowed park. The tail is stiff enough to give you a good boost in your jump. Even at lover speeds. But speed is definitely a thing you can´t get enough on this ONE…. And yhea: let´s go for bigger stuff. This board has what I need to progress. Fore sure.
In pow the board floats well. It´s easy to handle and suffle around in soft snow because the flex pattern allows for a good rise in the front. And of course the directional shape helps. Maybe a even stiffer tail would have suitet my pow riding better. But then again. I want more out of my riding than just making turns. And there the twin shape comes in. No sacrifice. No victory. I would say that I have ridden the One in different pow. When I think of a stiffer tail I maybe think of a bigger board to. The One had a little trouble taking on a 75 cm -20 Celsius snowfall. I.e the driest and most puffy snow you can find. Mabe a 164 Jones or a 163 experience would behave the same way. The area of the board. Speed. And the steepness of the run probably has a bigger impact in those conditions than the board it self. In more normal temperature snow (firmer and less deep) the One has no problems at al regarding to flotation. In fact: one of my fastest pow runs ever was on this board.
The One also has Magnetraction: I have mostly ride this board in pow. ( 5 days of testing) But some hard piste to. And magnetraction really works. Where my K2 slips out the One stays planted.
The amptek al mountain profile means 1,5 mm camber between the bindings and early rise tip (7 mm rocker). The profile probably aids in the impressions above. The board is easy to shuffle around and due to the Ones middle stiffness the response is really good when turning in pow and on hardpack.
The base is 4400 sintered. This is the only bad part about this board. I think that a hard charger like Rossi the One should have had faster base.
So: what about my impressions?
Hey ho lets go. Fore sure. This is a heavy metal board. I will just tune in Hammerfall in my Ipod and bring the hammer down on everything that comes in my way this season. Cliffs. Windlips. Pow. Trees. Ice. Heli rides. I will slay you all.. And the park. Oh yeah big air. Here I come and I am coming fast and hard =)
If you are more into park I would recommend a 159 or 156. Since Rossi has a strong background in terms of pro riders I really feel that some of the best riders in the world has had an impact on my ride to day. Rossi is a pure mountain company. No bullshit. So if you are “confirme” at UCPA. You will probably think of a softer board in the Rossi line.
Posted: 23 December 2010 05:31 PM
Great review!
I’m pleased you are so stoked with your new purchase.
I completely agree with your comment about the tail. I’ve found riding deep powder on my Angus which also uses the Amptek profile that when you are really blasting through powder and gathering a bit too much speed in a tight chute or tree line, that when you force your weight through the tail to scrub off a little speed that the rocker in the tail makes it a touch too flexible so it’s harder to control your speed than with a converntional cambered board in these tight spots. I think Rossignol have addressed that in the Experience by reducing the rise of the tail and using loads of carbon reinforcement.
I guess it’s the playfullness in the nose and tail that make it so much fun to ride and really forgiving.
Posted: 24 December 2010 12:20 AM
Cool review man on my favourite board for this season!
I walked into my local shop to see if they still had the 159, thank god they didn’t or else I’d be tempted to get it. :)
Posted: 27 December 2010 04:31 PM
Thank´s Rich and Steve.
Al I need now is more pow. And I also need the layz ases of my local hill to finish the park jumps. Gona take the One to the superpipe on new year´s weekend.
I am not to sure weather 163 is to big. Well. I got my K2 155 DarkStar to save me anyway.