Rocker / MidWide / Machete / One MagTek / Playful Freeriding

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

HermanNL

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 9 Joined 2010-12-20

Posted: 21 December 2010 12:34 AM

Hi SBR-folks!

First off; love your site. Been browsing all day looking at sweet boards, learning more about the technical side of boarding and appreciating all the great tips you’re giving the other forum members with buying advice. And here I am hoping you could help me too.

I’ve been boarding for about 5 years now (5 weeks). 3 years on my Burton King 162 with Burton Mission bindings. I’m 1.86m , 86kg (90+ during and after the holidays ;P) and boot size 11 (us).

I’m looking for something more playful, but still be able to go fast on and off-piste. I’m not a park-guy, but but I do enjoy the ocassional rampjumps. Also I’d love to try out the (hybrid) rocker design.
It’s basicly 50 piste / 30 offpiste / 20 jumps last year and want to do more offpiste and jumps this year.

I’m open for suggestions, but so far thinking about the following boards:
Rossignol One MagTek 2011 (159 or 161mw) - 419euro
Ride Machete 2011 (161W) - 419euro

And was wondering if the following boards are worth the extra cash:
Ride Highlife 2011 (159w) - 529euro
Lib Tech Travis Rice C2 BTX 2011 (161,5) - 539euro
Lib Tech Skunk Ape C2 BTX - 2011 (161w) - 559euro

What would you recommend? One MagTek, Machete or another excellent board in that price range or lay down some more for one of the more expensive boards? Should I change my bindings or can I keep my current ones?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind regards,
Herman (Netherlands)

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 21 December 2010 01:12 AM

Hey there Herman,
thanks a lot for the props, always glad to hear such things =)

I will make things short here for now because, again, I can hardly keep my eyes open anymore, had a really devastating weekend shredding in Oberstdorf.

The Rossi OneMagTek seems like a really good choice. Reading the Rossignol Brand Focus here on our website (check our main page for the interview Rich put together) you will find reason for Rossi boards being sold almost under their value.
The OneMagTek has Rossi’s infamous AmpTek rocker on it and is much more playful than last year’s version which was a real beast for going fast and straightlining the piste. With it’s sintered base it’s definitely fast enough for almost any kind of rider and the directional twin shape is generally great for everyone not riding mainly park. Oh and it also has the MagneTraction on it (also on the LibTech TRice), great for grip on harder or icy pistes.
So yeah, it’s probably one really good choice for you!

The Machete is more of a stiffer freestyle ride, I think as you are only visiting the park occasionally, you’re better off with the One. Still, the Machete is an award winning and great board, so it’s up to you whether you are planning on focusing on the park or piste and pow.

You can probably keep the Mission bindings for now if they are still working for you. Just try it and buy some new ones once you don’t feel like them fitting anymore.

Hope this helped a little, Cheers Tobi

skip11

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 110 Joined 2010-07-22

Posted: 21 December 2010 06:10 AM

I vote the T.Rice since I’m riding one at the moment.

HermanNL

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 9 Joined 2010-12-20

Posted: 21 December 2010 04:28 PM

Thanks for the quick answers!

I kinda mislabeled the forum topic, because I’m looking for a more freestyle/jib board where I can play alot more when going down the mountain. So basicly a board that:
- has a good pop for jumps
- is lighter for potential 180s/360s
- is forgiving on landings
- is easy to turn (even on ice)
- can go fast on piste without too much instability
- is smooth to handle in powder

Seeing as my Burton King is an allmountain camber board, I think freestyle/jib (hybrid) rocker board would be a fun addition! Or like an allmountain board with a major focus on freestyle/jibbing.

Also the boards I mentioned aren’t the only possibilities ofcourse. I’m totally open for suggestions! I’m aiming for around 400-450euro’s, but might be more if the board is that much better.

Again thanks so far :-)

/—edit—
I’ve also been looking at some Bataleon boards (Evil Twin and Fun Kink USA). Those are more jib oriented board, but might be just the thing?
—edit\

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 22 December 2010 12:43 AM

- good pop for jumps - look for something with carbon stringers in the core or bamboo core (ex. Jumper Cables from Burton, Carbon Matrix from K2)
- lighter for potential 180s/360s - look to boards with tapered core at edges or not full metal wraps a la Lib Tech / Gnu.
- forgiving on landings = reverse camber
- easy to turn (even on ice) - magnetraction edges (Lib Tech / Gnu / Rossignol) / Salomon equalizer sidecuts (on Official and I think Grip) / frostbite edges a la Burton
- can go fast on piste without too much instability - stiffer board / triaxial fiberglass / more carbon stringers
- smooth to handle in powder = reverse camber, especially on shorter jib/park boards

Now on to the search, see what you can drum up. :)

skip11

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 110 Joined 2010-07-22

Posted: 22 December 2010 08:20 AM

Burton Custom, Burton Custom Flying V, Burton Sherlock

HermanNL

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 9 Joined 2010-12-20

Posted: 22 December 2010 11:15 PM

Because I’ll never switch boards during a holiday I’ve kinda decided to sell my Burton King 162.

So now instead of an additional board I’m looking for 1 awesome board which can do all of the above :P
And while both (Machete and One Magtek) boards are awesome I think (looking at zoryfl’s reply) the One Magtek is more suited for my needs.

So the only question remaining: Do I really need the longer, wide version (161 with 26.4 waist width) or can I go for a slightly shorter, “normal” version (159 with 25.5 waist width) for a bit more playful riding? Taking into account stance angle and boot size.

Again thanks for the great feedback!

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 23 December 2010 07:05 AM

With a size 11 boot I’d take the 161 wide…  it’s only 2 cm longer which is nothing really and the extra width will accommodate those bear paws you call feet. :)

MagnePange

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 108 Joined 2010-11-30

Posted: 23 December 2010 12:47 PM

I don´t know about the rest of the boards.

But for me the Rossignol One is a great boost in my riding. For your riding style I think the One is a very good choice.

The price for me (Swedish - bought from Blue Tomato) is great. If I calculate the diffrence between the One and for example Travis Rice board I get a 3-4 peak helliday whit guide. That alone would not make me advice on the One. But you also get a fantastic riding machine for the least buck.

The Lib Ape I would not care about. It´s seems to be a pure powboard.

HermanNL

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 9 Joined 2010-12-20

Posted: 23 December 2010 04:59 PM

I guess the wide version is the way to go!

Really last question… :-)
157wide or 161wide?

... Is it possible for a person my size and weight to get the 157w for a more playful experience?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 December 2010 05:21 PM

You could probably ride the 157mW but to be honest boards with Amptek / Camrock feel much shorter than convetionally cambered snowboards anyway, that is until you put them on an edge. I would stick with the 161mw unless you want a shorter board for riding jibs and rails in which case the Angus 158mw would be a better choice. You’ll appreciate the extra 4 cm in powder.

HermanNL

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 9 Joined 2010-12-20

Posted: 23 December 2010 06:17 PM

Finally decided to get the Rossignol One Magtek 161mW! Thanks all for the help.

I also found a nice offer to get the Rossignol Cuda V1 bindings and a Rossignal Snowboard bag for an additional 80 euro’s. Annoying thing is I couldn’t find any reviews about those bindings.

Anyone that knows if Cuda v1 bindings are worth it? Or should I just stick with my Burton Mission ‘07 bindings?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 December 2010 07:37 PM

Our occassional tester Mikee C rode the Cuda V2 bindings on the JDub, the only difference between the two being that the V2 is designed for the JDub coulorways and the V1 is designed for the One MagTek colourway. Mikee really liked them and he’s usually a fan of K2 bindings with Urethane Highbacks.

I’ve owned a set of Jones Experience bindings in the past. They were pretty solid, the ratchets still work 4 years and countless ratcheting later. The only problem was finding spare bolts when a couple decided to go missing. However, I paid around 200 Euros for those back in the day, not the 80 euros you’ve been offered. Seems like a bargain. I’ve got the similar straps on my Drake Supersports and they make for a very snug fit.

HermanNL

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 9 Joined 2010-12-20

Posted: 23 December 2010 09:05 PM

Thanks for the quick response, Rich! Tomorrow I’m off to get the 499 deal with Cuda V1 bindings and Rossi snowboard bag :-) I’m going to Italy in about 2 weeks and I’ll post a review of it when I get back.

Thanks again to the SBR community for helping me out with this!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 23 December 2010 11:15 PM

Yeah that’s a real bargain. The Burton C60s I was using with the Burton Custom X a couple of days ago cost that alone!

Have a great holiday, I’m definitely looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the One.

Rich

HermanNL

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 9 Joined 2010-12-20

Posted: 25 December 2010 12:53 AM

Got my board today!
And I also bought some new boots which shave off about 3 cm off my old boots! Those were clunky and half a size bigger and these are a really nice fit and compact too! New boots are http://thirtytwo.com/boots/fall-2010/mens/prion-fasttrack/black-dark-grey/

Because of my new boots I was able to get the nonwide version of the One!
So now I’m the happy owner of the Rossignol One Magtek 159 and the Rossignol Cuda V1 (which look totally awesome together ;P)

So 13 more days and then I can take this baby for a riiide!

1 of 2
     1 2 > 

Search the Forum: