Burton Custom Flying V vs Gnu Carbon Credit

Marky

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-11-10

Posted: 08 December 2010 07:41 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the great info on this site.
Really helpful.

I’m an intermediate rider, about 2 years experience, mainly ride in Australia which is pretty shite by comparison but will be going to Japan in Feb and NZ in July.
I’ve been looking for a new board that will have the versatility for all mountain stuff but really be a good carver.

At the moment I’ve narrowed it down to the Burton Flying V and the Gnu Carbon Credit.
I’ve heard the Carbon credit isn’t great on hardpack (which there is a bit of in oz) and I’ve heard that the Flying V might be too advanced for me.


Are either of these boards going to be more suitable for an intermediate rider?
I’m 5’10”, 70kgs, size 9

I"d like something that is forgiving on edge catching but can still give me the confidence in the turns….or is that an oxymoron?

Thanks a million

Mark

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 09 December 2010 09:43 AM

Hey Mark,

Regarding your question about needing a board that’s forgiving and carves well being an oxymoron, definitely not, you can find one of those no probs.

Firstly the Carbon credit. It actually grips really well on an edge on hard pack (which I gather there is lots of in NZ) it just feels a little sketch on a flat base in my experience. Like any board that rockers at the waist in really hard conditions the board feels like it is pivoting at the waist a little.

Now the Custom Flying V is a great board, very responsive, light and poppy, a wise choice if you want to ride all of what the mountain has to offer. It’s not a hard board to ride it’s just very precise if you know what I mean. you have to be on your game when you are riding it. To get the most out of it you’ve got to be light on your feet. But definitely a board worth considering.

Below are another couple of boards worth considering… I’m guessing you want float in the pow for Japan and grip on hard snow in NZ and a fast base to deal with flat slushy sections in Oz.

K2 Turbo Dream - From what you have described, this board is perfect for you. The profile is flat between the bindings with raised tips. I found it to be really easy to ride all over the mountain, stable of jumps and nice in carves too. A little bit more directional than the Custom which means you’ll probably find it more to your liking in Japan.

Rossi Angus - I’m riding this board at the minute and I absolutely love it. It’s increadibly stable and catch free when you are riding supersonic, it feels unbelieveably easy when you are hitting biggish tables (I haven’t hit any monster jumps so far this season), it carves really well and it feels manoueverable enough for riding boxes. Oh yeah and it floats really well too, very agile in pow.

YES Typo - Very similar to the Angus in every respect, except it has a better team and more marketing behind it, if that’s important to you. Like the Angus these boards are soo easy to ride switch… it’ll improve your riding the moment you step on it.

Jones Mountain Twin - Another board with camber between the feet and rocker at the nose and tail, that’s easy to ride. This board has mellow magnetraction on the edges to imporve grip in hardpack conditions. I felt the jones needed a touch more camber between the feet, but it still felt stable and danced between edges. You’ll have a lot of fun on this board in powder.

I hope that helps, lots of boards out there, but for an intermediate who is riding powder, hard pack and doing the odd jump I think camber or flat between the feet and rocker at the nose and tail provides a board that carves well, feels agile and playful and floats with ease, perfect for progressing.

Rich

Marky

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-11-10

Posted: 15 December 2010 01:05 AM

Thanks Rich, that’s some really helpful info.
I’ve actually had the Turbo Dream and the Typo on my list at some point too.
I’ve been a bit overwhelmed by all the boards out there but I now feel like I’m actually heading in the right direction.

I can get a really good price on the Turbo Dream and the Typo here in Melbourne so I might lean that way.

I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Thanks a million.

Marky

Marky

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 5 Joined 2010-11-10

Posted: 17 December 2010 08:10 AM

Hey Rich,

I got the YES Typo for a mad deal.
Thanks for your help, I’m stoked.

Bring on Japan…..

Cheers
Marky

Search the Forum: