Intermediate board advice

ohhai

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-12-07

Posted: 08 December 2010 12:40 AM

Hi there,
I’m looking to buy a new board for upcoming season. I have like 7 years experience so i guess that makes me an intermediate boarder.
I’m 19 years old, 74kg/162lbs, 185cm/6’1ft and my boot size is 8,5(UK)
My current board is a 152 nitro revolt but it sucks, it is way to short and unstable at high speed. Just a board i bought as a bargain w/o looking at the specs.
What i’m looking for is an all-mountain/freestyle board, i will be mainly boarding on the piste, but in the future i may move a little to the park.
I am looking for a board which is stable at high speed and is able to carve well. It also has to be kinda playful because i love to take little kickers and pop 180’s at the side of the piste.
I’ve been looking at this site a lot, and read a lot of topics, but there are so many boards that i find it very difficult to pick one.

The boards that i think will suit me are:
Yes typo
Rome headline
Rossi one magteg/Angus?
Nitro Team Gullwing (really hate the graphics though)
Signal Omni
But if you have any other (better) suggestions, be my guest.
I want to spent like max. 450 euro’s on my new board.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 09 December 2010 10:00 AM

HI Mark,

You’ve listed 3 boards there that would be ideal for you.

For intermediates who want to progress in all aspects of their riding a profile with camber between the feet and rocker at the nose and tail is awsome. They carve great, ride switch really easy particularly when the snow is a bit sketch and you need to ton it, they feel flaoty and nimble in pow and stable for jumps.

I’m riding a Rossi Angus for my everyday board at the minute and I’m really impressed with it. Regarding the difference between the Angus, Typo and Omni. The omni is the softer of the three amd is fantastic for progressing your park riding. The Angus and Typo are pretty similar although I believe the Rossi weighs a little less, but then YES has the cool branding and team. They’re mighty similar boards… maybe the Rossi is a touch firmer flexing.

Go for one of the three and you’ll have blast next time you go riding.

Rich

ohhai

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-12-07

Posted: 09 December 2010 01:49 PM

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your reply.
I think i’ll go for the Yes typo. i like the yes brand, and the graphics on the typo are much better that the graphics of the rossi angus imo.
But now i don’t know which size should i get? I think size 157/158 fits me the best, but the yes typo only is available in 156 or 159. I’m thinking about buying the 159, because i am kinda anxious of buying a board that is smaller than recommended cause my current board is way to short and that kinda sucks. But if i buy a 159, will it still be playfull enough?

Thanks,
Mark

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 09 December 2010 02:46 PM

At 6’1” the 159 is going to be the right choice.

With the short running length because of the raised tip and tail , boards with this profile feel like shorter boards anyway. If you were riding purely park, you could have got away with the 156, but I think for all-mountain performance including some pow float you’d be better off with the 159.

Rich

The red graphic looks nice too.

Search the Forum: