Posted: 05 December 2010 11:43 AM
Hi.
So Im about to buy the K2 Turbo dream. But i am a little low on cash at the moment. I would prefer to buy this years model, but as many reviews state, the only real difference is the Harsh mellow feature (on the binding sockets i guess?!).
but all i have gotten from reviews is, that harsh mellow is “cool” or just and okay feature. the idea og shock dampening is really great, i think. and if it wasnt about the money, i would instantly buy the 2011 model.
but have any of you tried it? and maybe now you cant live without it? or havent you even noticed that its there? and therefore i might as well buy last years model?
thanks :)
Posted: 05 December 2010 12:42 PM
Hey there,
our testers really liked the harshmellow dampening on the Zero and they said it’s definitely something you notice while riding.
Then again, most of the boards being ridden do not have that dampening, so you might see it as a nice little feature which is not really necessary. If it’s really about cash for you, I wouldn’t mind the dampening and just go with the last season’s model (if you can still find one, that is).
My 2 cents..
Cheers, Tobi
Posted: 05 December 2010 01:21 PM
thanks alot. the price between them isnt really that big, ive noticed. just that it is so hard finding a private person on ebay, that sells one and ships it to europe, so i can avoid customs.
it adds about 50% to the price, when im buying in the states. :s
Posted: 05 December 2010 01:35 PM
A guy I knew rode a 2010 Salomon Drift that has a similar feature… he could feel them. I myself haven’t been on a board equipped with the stuff so can’t say from experience.
If the price is close then swing for the latest model. :)
Posted: 05 December 2010 01:47 PM
yeah. just saw SR’s video review again. they also mention that it is a good addition.
ill just keep looking out for private persons who sells one :)
used to have a mate in the states, who could send them to me. those were the days :)
Posted: 05 December 2010 05:56 PM
While i got you in here.
i was looking at the Artec Alt rocker. How is this board, compared to the turbo dream? ive found about 200$ cheaper.
i cant find a review of it anywhere. but as i understand, it is an all terrain rocker as well?
Posted: 06 December 2010 09:14 AM
I have last years Artec Novus… I bought it for the tremendous value as well. Artec is made by Elan, one of the oldest alpine equipment companies in Europe and it shows in their products.
I was trying to find out more on the Alt Rocker but their website doesn’t post the profile. K2 uses a flat rocker tech on their profiles… again having a K2 Parkstar I love the effect it has on the playfulness of the board. The All Terrain Rocker is mellower then the Jib Rocker profiles so that should help keep an effective edge with a bit more speed.
Hopefully someone who has had their hands on the Alt Rocker can comment more, but I recommend Artec products for sure… their designs are pretty loud this season which is kick ass. :)
Posted: 06 December 2010 12:26 PM
Hi - sorry, I should have commented on the other thread I posted that it was the Artec Alt Rocker I went for in the end though I did try the Pop Rocker as well. If you want to see a profile on it try The Snowboard Asylum website. Both Alt and Pop rode very similar to be honest, the £100 price difference clinched it for me, gave me more to spend on the rest of my setup.
I found they were both good from edge to edge, held speed and stability well and were easy to butter. I didn’t take the Pop Rocker over any jumps etc as they didn’t have any out, but I had my new Alt Rocker off a couple of jumps yesterday and it had plenty of pop and was pretty forgiving to land. I do find it a very sensitive board - someone else in the shop rode it as well and he said he found it a bit twitchy.
Artecs in general seem like a complete bargain to me - 2 other boards were sold at the same time as I was in (1 Novus and 1 Gabe Taylor) so they must be doing something right!
Posted: 06 December 2010 01:10 PM
Hi again. Great replies!
The Alt rocker DOES seem like a great board. But maybe its a little more of a park board, then the Turbo Dream? My main focus when im on the mountain, is just to have fun, on an especially of the piste. And i ride any kinof powder i come in contact with. The most jumps i take on, is the natural ones, thats located in the ofpiste. Besides that its just fun for me. I dont go especially just for jibbing, og park jumps. a little speed, powder when its there and just fun and playing for the rest.
so maybe the Turbo dream is more the choice for me, then det artec? also - Is k2 just a more expensive brand? or is it better quallity? theres a good 250$ between the boards. which is also, why im asking all these questions. im really locked in on the turbo dream. its just that there seem to be a lot of boards, that maybe could be quite similar, but at a much lower pricer.
thanks again for your great replies. im learning every time i read a post in here. been riding for seven years, but quite frankly, ive never thought about the real difference between boards. i was just under the impression that if it said burton, it was ready to go! :)
Edit: can someone please also compare forum scheme to the alt rocker and turbo dream for me? getting lost here.. :)