Burton T7 help

Miguel Sanchez

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-12-03

Posted: 03 December 2010 12:31 PM

First off I would like to say great site! It is one of only two, thats has any info on the board I’m checking out, thanks for that.

I am looking to finally upgrade this year from the beaten up, second hand, Atomic Firestarter 161 that I learned to ride on. I have pretty much decided on the Burton T7, there are a few others I have been looking at namely the Rome Anthem & the Capita BSOD. But both are hybrid designs and I have no experince with those and am hesitant to drop the money on a concept so foreign.

The question I have is this, I am about 5’8” - 5’9”, weigh about 170lbs/ 77 kg (currently dropping in weight) and looking for guidance as to whether 159 or 156? I know common sense dictates get the longer board. The Firestarter really shaped my style to charging the mountain, going as fast as I can, I don’t go into the park. The thing is, that the 161 I ride is just a boat, I live on the east coast of the United States and powder is practically non-exsistant. I ride nothing but man-made, hardpack groomers on some pretty small mountains w/ short, but fast runs.

So could I get away with the 156? I know I’m on the upper weight limits of a 156, but as I said above, I am sick of having such a long board to muscle around on the short runs I ride.

Anyway, thanks for the help and the great site.

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 03 December 2010 02:45 PM

Hey there Miguel,
thanks a lot for the props on the website, much appreciated!

As for your question, I’d say that you should go with the 159 because you wouldn’t want to miss the extra bit of stability and edgehold the longer board provides you with and as Tom said in his review: “response from edge-to-edge is lightening-quick”. Still, the 156 wouldn’t be too far off the list as it’s only 3cm difference, at last.

And concerning some alternatives for the T7: The T7 is a fantastic ride so as you already made friends with the T7 there is no reason to look any further!

Hope this helped a little.
Cheers, Tobi

Miguel Sanchez

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-12-03

Posted: 03 December 2010 09:07 PM

Thanks for the advice, it will definitely be taken into account. About a possible alternative, I really was looking at the Capita BSOD, but like I said the hybrid profile kind of throws me off with the camber and the rockered tips. It’s hard to visualize how that would actually ride without trying it.

Has anyone here been on one? From what I understand, the hybrid profile gives up some stability at speed, because of the shortened effective edge & thats what really makes me hesitant about the whole camber/rocker profiles and want to stick to camber. But it also is supposed to make the board abit more forgiving and that Firestarter I learned on has dumped me pretty hard, but pain is a great motivator and it’s taught me alot.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up that question I had.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 04 December 2010 12:21 PM

I really like hybrid camber with a rockered nose and tail. Raising the nose and tail means that the board feels almost completely catch free when you are straight lining, it also means that you don’t have to roll the board from the widest part of the board to put it on an edge, so they are really quick edge to edge. The down side is that hybrid boards tend to have a little less punch in the tail, but you can ride a stiffer board and it’ll feel more manageable than a fully cambered board. As soo as you put the board on an edge you havge as much brip as a cambered board, except it feels like you have more grip at your feet where the nose and tail turn from rocker to camber. Although the running length is much shorter, the effective edge is exactly the same so you don’t loose out on edge hold.

Search the Forum: