Nike Danny Kass vs. Burton Grail or something completely different?

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:27 AM

I was at my local snowboardshop today and tried different boots. Unfortunately the Nitro Recoil which features I rly liked did not rly match with my feet.

After trying several Boots the Nike Danny Kass(46) and the Burton grail(44) seemed to fit on my feet.

Which boots would you choose and why?

I am 179cm (5’87feet), 66kg(145lbs) and my boot size is about 44.5(11) and a jib enthusiast with all mountain affinity. Board will probably be a NS Revolver 153(waist 26.0) or Gnu Park Pickle156w(waist 26.5).

For more information about my riding preferences please check this thread:

http://www.snowboard-review.com/forums/viewthread/354/P0/

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 01 December 2010 10:25 AM

It’s got to be the Nike Danny Kass hasn’t it? I know Burton have been making boots for years and a pretty damn good at it, but like every sport Nike ever goes into they throw an enormous amount of money at it, getting in the most talented and experienced designers from snowboard boots and sports sneaker backgrounds, the best riders… their team is insane and then invest huge money in their production line. Danny’s boot on Vans was a fantastic boot that when the soles didn’t fall off had a huge fan base Tom has had 2 or 3 pairs of Vans Kass, so Mr Kass won’t have settled for a dud boot. Pretty fly for apres beers too!

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 01 December 2010 11:22 AM

thanks for your answer ;) I think I will try on both once again and then choose the better finding one. Just couldn’t find a review about the DK and I didn’t know if I could trust the little sperm brand. If it’s gonna be em it will be my first pair of nike’s -I never thought that could be snowboardboots ^

On the other hand I think I pay money for the name Danny Kass and the dampening of the grail looks pretty solid. Which boot is lighter or uses the better materials from a technical view? ^^

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 01 December 2010 12:06 PM

I just looked at the Nike Website!!!

Their gear is insane! I mean the new Gigi Ruf pro boot and the DK in red… I said to myself that Vans are my boot and I’ll never change… but. They look so nice I feel powerless to resist.

I know which stand I’ll be checking out at ISPO.

And to be fair although it feels like Nike are invading the sport a little, Nike ACG was around for years and it’s not like they are producing boards or bindings. They are sticking to what they do best footwear and outerwear, and if they bring technology they have been developing for trainers into the snowboard market everyone is a winner.

I have a friend who worked for Adidas in Germany for a year. He was working on designs and technology that wasn’t going to be released for 4-5 years!!! I can’t wait to see what Nike have in the pipeline for their boot range. Their current line is the bomb!

Afraid I can’t help with spec, I’m too overwhelmed by the nice colours and the trainer like designs.

I would like to see a Adidas superstar (hardshell) collaboration boot. I know Burton have worked with Adidas before, so you never know.

Burton Adidas Originals collaboration

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 01 December 2010 03:42 PM

Do you have a Nike Mondopoint sizesheet so I can figure out if size 46 will work well with a NS revolver 153(waist 26.0). Since I wear only 44 with Burton I think it should be nice. It would be really nice off you to drop a comment in my “freestyle oriented setup” thread as I have many open questions ^^

Yeah I tend to go with the Nike myself, too. Too bad the black purple look does not have the nice texture on it because it would really fit better with a NS Revolver, purple fluxes and my two Jackets, still undecided I think I let a woman make the decision ^^

I wear these two Jackets with Black Pants:



I don’t like the colorways of the Gigi Ruf think they could look bad if the boot will come in contact with dirt.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 01 December 2010 03:59 PM

And I thought I was vain!

Definitely a cool looking set-up. Lets hope Purple is in next season!

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:03 PM

I have a disease pretty common in Germany called perfectionism :/

Would love to see your input on my board questions ;)

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:14 PM

Afarid I don’t have a Nike mondopoint size sheet to hand… haha

A 46 Euro is a UK 11 or US 11.5…. your feet should be fine on a 26cm width deck.

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:21 PM

can’t decide if I should take a 153 or 156 revolver…Hmm think with 65kg(naked, so 70kg with stuff on me) I can go for a jibfriendly 153 and still will not sink in pow huh?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:37 PM

Yeah the 153 sounds right. Never Summer boards aren’t all that soft anyway, and the rocker profile should help minimise the effects in powder of going for a shorter board. My vote would be the 153 Revolver.

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 02 December 2010 10:11 AM

I’m sure the DK Nike model will be dope but the Grail is a smoking boot…  I had my eye on that pair when Burton rolled out the 2011 line.

To help break any deadlock just go by fit and then features.  I get a few people that hum and haw in the shop with one boot on one foot and then another one on the other, honest fit is king and then it’s the features.  Well, style as well…  nice to look pimp if you can, lol.

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 02 December 2010 10:37 AM

Steve Medeiros - 02 December 2010 02:11 PM

I get a few people that hum and haw in the shop with one boot on one foot and then another one on the other, honest fit is king and then it’s the features.

Hehe that’s my method of comparing boots as well and after a while I switch them because no one has excact same feet. The DK seemed a little bit softer to me but both boots were really comfortable so which boot will be the lighter,more durable, more comfortable—> “better” one?

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 02 December 2010 11:17 AM

Lighter boot you can feel, hopefully…  if you don’t notice a difference ask a few people to help you out.

Durable, tough call…  Nike is arguably the kings of footwear, when we travel to the moon we’ll walk out in a Nike spaceboot.
Burton has been in the game since the game started, they have the best selling boots of all time.

Comfort, again you should be able to feel that.  Remember the cold will always make the boot stiffer and the liners will pack in time.

If the DK seemed too soft then maybe the Grail…  I like a stiff boot, more responsiveness.

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 02 December 2010 03:59 PM

Hmm the boots seemed a little bit softer to me, but not too soft ;)
I will check them again saturday and then buy whatever fits best. My criteria hierarchy is:

1. fit
2. tech meaning protection and comfort
3. durability
4. style

The problem is I am not able to feel which boot offers the better protection, comfort(eg dampening) and durability in a long term, you just figure that things out when riding it.

I am not able to find good reviews on the DK boot while the grail seems to be a pretty solid boot according to reviews I have red. At the moment I tend do give Nike a shot because the boots seemed so comfortable I could even imagine wearing at home, but the best shoe for home chilling is probably not the best for snowboarding ^^ I think the little advantage in comfort could be simply because they are softer than the grail. It seems very irrational for me after 8years of riding a burton boot with only little complaints.

cheers!

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 03 December 2010 09:55 AM

Hey, it’s nice to switch things up every once in a while.  Honestly I don’t see Danny Kass and Nike pumping out a dud, I’m sure you’d enjoy them and if you don’t they are fly enough to sell second hand and get some Burton’s at the end of the season. :)

zournyque

Park Monkey
RankRankRank
Total Posts: 38 Joined 2010-11-21

Posted: 15 December 2010 03:22 AM

After trying both boots against each other a third time today I have chosen the Burton Grail. You simply get more for the money you pay, ofc you don’t get that underground credibility the big sperm seems to offer. They pay Danny Kass about 800k$ a year for making his pro model and that money has to be earned somewhere. Don’t get me wrong the Danny Kass is a nice boot but compared to the Burton Grail it loses the competition in my opionion, maybe the grail is more comparable with the gigi ruf pro model:


Flex: The Danny Kass seemed to have a little bit less response than the Burton Grail, too me.

Liner:
The liner seemed actually very nice to me, it offers a lot of cushion on booth boots, the Danny Kass Cushioning seems a bit thicker.


Lacing Systems: Pretty much the same thing on both boots if you ask me.

Weight: The Danny Kass is by far not a heavy boot, but the Burton Grail tops it, it’s definetly one of the lightest boots I ever had in my hands/on my feet.

Dampening: The Danny Kass overs just a small dampening zone under the heel while the Grails dampening seems much more advanced.

Size: My Mondopoints are ~29, so most of my sneakers are 45 or 44,5. My Size at the Danny Kass was 46 and the Grail in 44. Concerning that and Burton’s Shrink Tech the Burton Grail boot was nearly 3cm shorter than the DK

Quality and guarantee: The quality of both boots seems to be on a pretty high level for me but once again the burton grail seemed to be a little better to me. The Burton Guarantee service is pretty well, I have no experience with Nike.

Design: Personally I rly prefered the Nike design especially cuz if rly fits more well to the rest of my gear , but a snowboard boot should be considerd after factors of shredding and you don’t see much of it anyway(pants, bindings, dirt)

Overall impression:
Considering all those factors I’d say the technical features of the grail top the knight in shining armor DK.

Search the Forum: