Best setup for Intermediate Rider?

astrododo

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 1 Joined 2009-11-25

Posted: 25 November 2009 04:24 PM

I’ve been riding for about 7 years now, but I’ve only been able to board once or twice a year. Now, I’ve moved to Boston and I’m planning on hitting the slopes more often. Up to now I’ve rented or borrowed gear from friends, so I don’t know anything about buying a board. I’m looking for an all mountain board as I mostly hit groomers with the occasional trip to the park (and very occasionally get lucky with some east coast powder).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Please help us filling out the following template for best possible buying advice!

I am looking for:

[*] Board
  [*] Binding
  [*] regular straps
  [  ] fast-entry system (Flow/Cinch/..)
  [*] Boots
  [  ] Other

Measurements:

Body height:  180 cm
  Weight:    160 lbs
  Shoe size:  10.5 US

Riding level:

[  ] Beginner
  [*] Intermediate
  [  ] Advanced
  [  ] Expert

Riding style: (multiple selections allowed)

[*] Piste   [80] %
  [*] Powder   [10] %
  [*] Park   [10] %
  [  ] Rails   [ ] %

Special requests: Any of the boards available for sale at www.sierrasnowboards.com any good for me?

Price Limit:    [800] $

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 27 November 2009 01:51 PM

If you’re moving to Boston then I guess you’ll get a bit more riding in…...you therefore need a board that is going to allow you to progress fairly quickly and take your riding to the next level. As you’re an East coast shredder I can imagine that progression is really going to involve developing your skills in the park and also giving those rails a go. This doesn’t mean that you’ll have to compromise too much on piste (groomers) performance. Below is a list of boards that might be worth a look considering your specs, have a look at the reviews on the website:

YES 156.5 - This board has a camrock profile (half rocker, half camber) and ultragrip (magnetraction) for added grip.

K2 Believer 157 - Super playful zero camber board that is incredibly stable at speed but fun on the rails and in the powder.

Burton Jussi 156 - All-mountain freestyle board that kills all terrain…..you’ll need to buy Burton bindings though so it could end-up fairly expensive.

Head Team I 154 or 158 - One of the best boards this season (in my eyes). Intelligent fibres give this board two very different rides; either soft and buttery at low speed or stable and more rigid when you’re riding hard and fast. You could probably get away with riding the 154 if you’re not too worried about powder; I rode the 54 at a boardtest in the spring and it felt rediculously stable.

Bean Commonwealth 157 - This is a really small brand out of Boston that are making some sick boards. They’re a really small outfit making boards out of a garage…...if you want something that will kill the mountain and give you maximum respect on the hill…..have a look on their website.

Rome Agent 158 - Great board that will kill everything.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 27 November 2009 03:23 PM

Yeah shop local with Bean…. you might even be able to go to the workshop and see them making the boards! And you’ll certainly have no probs warrantying it if you have any problems!

Check their site out: http://www.beansnowboarding.com/index.php

Robson

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-02-07

Posted: 07 February 2010 09:30 PM

I have a similar measurement:

Body height:  181 cm
Weight:  170 lbs
Shoe size:  10 US

I am leaning towards the Burton Jussi. what will be the difference ridewise, between 159 and 156 ?

The 2009 model is on sale and I wonder if the Scoop for the 2010 model makes a difference for someone who likes carving.

your suggestion and feedback is appreciated!

:)

cheers!

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 08 February 2010 12:45 AM

Hey there Robson,
I’d say differences in length of a board are mostly noticed when it comes to highspeed riding or jibbing. Longer boards do have less chatter than shorter boards while shorter boards are not as stiff as their longer versions and therefore better for jibbing.

Upgrading his signature stick with the Scoop for catch-free take-offs and easier landings, Jussi also softened the flex to make the entire board more buoyant and fun from pow to jibs.

So concerning the question if it is worth getting the ‘10 model: If you are more into carving, riding piste and pow, you could probably as well go with the ‘09 model. For almost jibbing around only it might be worth looking at the new model.
Same goes for the length by the way: More carving/groomers riding take the 159. If you are more into little booters and jibs, take the 156. They will both be okay.

Sorry for the bad writing and grammar it’s just late and I’m really tired~
Hope it helped a bit, though.
Cheers Tobi

Oh dear, I just noticed that even the 159 does only have a width of 25,0. You better tripple check if your boots/bindings are not too large for the deck. You should also not forget about the ICS binding system on this year’s model. Don’t know if they already had it back in ‘09, though..

Robson

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 08 February 2010 05:12 PM

Hey Tobi! thanks for your informative reply :-)

My friend just sent me a link for a Burton Custom X (past season model, very good price) and from what I notice, the only update is the Slantwall, from what I read, is for boarders with big feet (10.5+). It is stiffer than the Jussi. As per Burton’s stiffness rating, Custom (5), Jussi (6) and Custom X (7). They have my size, 158 and also a 159W. What is your take or anyone else who reads this post ?

At this point, I am trying to amass as much info as possible before making a final decision.

cheers!

-Robson.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 09 February 2010 03:25 PM

Providing you’re not riding boots like DC which have quite long soles for the foots size I think you’ll be ok riding a regular width deck with a US10 boot. But be wary with the Custom X… it’s a bit of a monster, if you’re really confident doing high speed carves and riding aggressively you’ll get loads out of the X but if you’re still mastering your carving then I think a slightly softer deck would make more sense.

Robson

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 09 February 2010 10:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your informative reply!

I have decided to go for the Burton Jussi 159. As for the binding and boots, can someone suggest ?
I have read about the Cartel EST and the Hail boots combo. From what my friends tell me, it is important to buy a good pair of boots since one will be in them for a hours and also a good binding.  I will be mostly doing piste (carving) and some powder where available.

thanks again!

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:06 AM

Hi again Robson,
read here for an general boot buying guide, if you want.

Don’t have much of an idea about the whole EST thing yet, so I’m out on that one..
Well maybe one more general thing: For mainly piste and some powder, make sure to get some bindings and boots which are on the stiffer side for better response!

Search the Forum: