Rossignol OneMag Vs Flagship vs Nitro Team Gullving

MagnePange

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 108 Joined 2010-11-30

Posted: 30 November 2010 11:41 AM

Hello! I am about to buy a new board. For pure parkriding I have a K2 Dark Star 08/09. 155 cm. I am 178. 80 kg. For pow and piste I have a K2 Eldorado 159 05/06. Now that board has to go. I ride Burton Ion boots and Drake Czaar bindings. Soo I wonder about this board. Is it like a tuned down version of the experience? I would like a board that rides big mountain well but also is fun in tree riding, easy to handle in thight lines. And rides well on piste and border X-track….. Not asking for to much, am I? Could this be the one? How would this board ride compared to Jones Flagship? I also think about Nitro Team or Team Gullwing. I ride about 40-50 days a year for som years now. This year there will be a focus on park,  and some big mountain competitons at the end off seasson. Maybe one border X comp to.

Soo I gues the question is coming down to one big thing. How stiff are the boards? The Jones seems to bee superstable. But at the same time the Rossi sems to have the same features at a lower price.

The Nitro I don´t know about. Probly to soft. But I love the grafic design of the board!

I think that the two most important features is stability in hardpack, breakable crust etc and easy handling. If the board can go too the park after the pow is gone nearby the piste it is off course great so I don´t have to switch bindings every time I am thinking of jumping / Pipe. But than again: that´s not of the biggest imporance.  A safte board in big moutain conditions are the no 1 option. If the OneMag could be the solution I am glad.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 01 December 2010 11:18 AM

Hi MagnePagne,

Although the One does has a lot of the same features of the Experience I wouldn’t say it’s all that similar. The Experience has a stiffer flex pattern and has carbon stringers (which you can see) that run the length of the board, particularly though the transition from camber to the rockered tips at the bindings, this means it will deall with balistic back seat landings on steep terrain. The Experience also uses Carbon and Kevlar Torsion box construction which has the core devided in 3 sections which are then wrapped in fibreglass, creating this unibody torsion box means the board has insane torsional ridgidity which means in a carve there is no danger of an edge slipping out, particularly with Mag edges. I was riding my Rossi JDub 06/07 a couple of days ago which uses the same technology and you can carve increadibly hard. The Experience shape is a lot more directional, as is the amptek profile, and the stance is set back and the base is a 7.5K sintered base instead of the 4.4k on the One. Thats not to say the One is a slouch, it’s a great all mountain board that works on jumps, in the pipe, on the pistes and in pow, but it’s not quite the board that it was last year with regards to boardercross performance as last years board was completely cambered, in fact 3x Freeride World Champion Xavier De Le Rue used last Year’s One at the Olympics in the boardercross, even though he uses the Experience to win countless freeride competitions. The Flagsjip is a slightly less aggresive cousin to the Experince, if you want to tair terrain apart it’s still got to be the Experience. The Team Gullwing is a board to replace your freestyle board not your Eldorado. If you want to win boardercross comps and freeride like a fing then the Experience is the board, unless you go for a stiff cambered board like the Amplid UNW8, Palmer Crown LE and Arbor A-Frame. And the One is the board to buy if you want to ride everything including powder and boardercross but you don’t mind being 2nd on the podium.

Rich

MagnePange

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 108 Joined 2010-11-30

Posted: 02 December 2010 11:18 AM

Thank´s a lot! Great help. It seems to be the Experience! Or like you suggest: some hardcore camber board. Burner. Volkl Coal, Nidecker Platinum, A-frame. Plenty of boards to buy…..

Just one more question: if I buy a very stiff board. How would my current gear keep up. Burton Ion has a flexrate of 8. The Drake Caazar bindings I don´t know about. Probably in the upper range of stiffnes and response. But not the highest level of responsive flex.  How stiff is the Eldo on the scale 1-10?

Again: the K2 Eldorado is great. Love the board. But the base is wasted. I will fore sure wax my next board a lot more.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 02 December 2010 11:50 AM

I too own a set of Drake Czar and for most riding they are stiff enough and responsive enough. I’d keep them until you’ve tried them with your new board (unless of course you can get a discount when you buy both together). If after a while you find them to be too soft (althought the highback is quite firm, the wings on the side are quite flexible) it might me worth looking at a a binding like the Nidecker Carbons, Lucky clover or Legend, the Union Force MC (if you are feeling wealthy) or Burton C60. Your boots sound perfect for the job… again, if you want a stiffer boot and Burtons fit you then the Driver X is a good option. I’d by each piece separately once you’ve tried the setup together, then you’ll have a better idea of which part needs upgrading.

Afraid I haven’t ridden the Eldorado so I don’t really know about the flex. I gather it was fairly firm, but probably not up there with the likes of the Volkl Coal and Palmer Crown.

Search the Forum: