New Board Advice

xellis

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 1 Joined 2010-11-28

Posted: 28 November 2010 04:34 AM

Help!
I keep reading but I am not sure i am closer to a decision, I am looking for a new board and I really like the sound of the Jones Flagship but I am not sure if it’s right and if so what size is best for me… I am 6’2, 210 lbs, I wear a 10.5 or 11 boot depending on brand. I have been riding a 2005 Burton Custom 166 for 5 years and I consider myself an advanced Intermediate (I can get down almost anything). I have recenlty moved to Utah and I plan to ride a LOT more than in the past 5 years (10-15 days a year).

I almost exclusivly freeride, no park time for me, I like to carve powder (of course) and I like to carve the groomers when the pow is gone. Small jumps are fun but I am not really spinning much.

The Jones Flagships sounds great but I am thinking it might be too much of a back country, big mountain board? The Mountain Twin sounds good but some articles make it sound more suited for the park and all mountian? I was all set to go with the Flagship 169W but not I am concerned it’s going to be too big for days without any powder… I can always pull out the Burton I guess.

Open to advice on a choice of board and correct size.

thanks,

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 28 November 2010 06:45 PM

Hi Xellis,

I think your gut instinct of the 168 ( or 169… who knows what sizes they are making… their site is completely different to the literature I picked up) Jones is probably a good choice. There’s no denying that 168 is a relatively long board but Camrock/Amptek profiled boards really do feel shorter and much more agile than their length suggests. I was riding a 157 Rossi Angus with Amptek on Saturday, then I took out my stiff cambered Rossi JDub for a spin today and it felt sooo much longer, carving on the JDub is increadible but for everything else I’m completely sold on Camrock/Amptek. My 57 Angus feels like riding a 153 cambered board as far as agility and responce goes so the 168 is going to feel shorter than your Burton 166. For Powder and general resort freeriding you are on the money with the Flagship… but you won’t be spinning off any jumps with it.

And for intermediates, the added confidence of raising the start of the effective edge off the snow gives is priceless, you’ll feel so much more in control and relaxed straight lining.

Rich

Search the Forum: