6 boards tested - made my decision! But what size?

Dr H

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2010-11-12

Posted: 22 November 2010 01:48 AM

Over the past week and a half I demoed 6 boards in my search for a new stick. Here are my thoughts….

Bear in mind I’m 5’ 10” and only about 65kg. Been riding for 10+ years and I’m looking for a fun board after riding pretty stiff cambered boards around 157-159 for most of that time. Rode a Skate Banana last year, loved the flex ad the idea of rocker but felt very ubstable to me at anything but low-meduim speed. All boards 2010/11 models.

All demos at Tam or Chill Factore so limited in what I could do but enough to get a feel for the boards.

Yes Great Dudes 156
This thing had amazing edge grip. The strange edge (almost ‘serrated’) worked really well and the assymetric side cut works well. It’s very stable, quite lively but fairly stiff. You need to work it quite hard, i’s not that light either. I reckon it’s good for speed and powerful freestyle riders doing big stuff.

Nitro Rook 154
Again quite a lively board, good edge grip and a mid flex. Not that easy to press but would do it with effort. Flatline base that felt nice and stable and it would be difficult to catch an edge. Has a pretty wide stance as standard but it felt good. handle the (little) uneven snow I tried well. Nice pop.

K2 Fastplant 154
I was really looking forward to this havig read great reiews. Quite heavy and I thought it was quite stiff. Even with the jib rcker shape it was very difficult to press for me. I think it was stiffer than the Rook. It tunrned pretty well and had pretty good pop over small jumps but dissapointingly just felt really ‘dead’ underfoot. Just didn’t feel fun or alive at all - I was really surprised.

Never Summer SL 155
Really looked forward to this board and it didn’t disappoint. Very well made, not too heavy and the strange camber/rocker combo worked really well. Turned great both regular and switch - twin shape but slight setback for the bindings. Seemed to be damped very well and really was nice to ride. Pop was OK but not as much as the Fastplant or Rook I don’t think. However once again it was pretty difficult to press for me. I think this would be an amazing all mountain board but not quite what I was looking for.

Never Summer Evo 155
Supposedly a softer flexing true twin version of the SL. I couldn’t detect any difference in the flex at all. Felt pretty much the same as the SL. A bit better switch but not as damped a ride. Again for some this will be a great park board that can do it all over the mountain too but just not for me.

Salomon Grip 157
Immediately I strapped in it felt different from all the other boards. Difficult to describe but a softer more natural flex. It was a really really smooth easy flex but if wasn’t like a noodle. Seemed to carve well, not as good as the YES of the NS SL I don’t think but pretty good. Loads of pop, really easy to get a spring from the tail. Finally I could really nose and tail press a board! I think the very long nose and tail rocker help a lot here. Also this seems make the 157 feel like a shorter board. Looking at the spec sheets it has an effective edge of 2-4 cm shorter and also a pretty low contact length for the size. I just loved it. Nice and lively, forgiving but easy to pop. It’s also very very light. The lightest of all the boards by some way actually. Salmon say they use less fibreglass in the grip and it really does feel like that. The flex and feel is much more like wood than wood and fibreglass.

It’s the Grip for me hands down, no contest . Going for the Team Edition one that Snow and Rock and a few other places sell as the graphics are nicer.

I tried my 2009/10 Triads I bought a few months back in the sales today too. Talk about comfy   they are amazing. Like two big sofas on your feet! Still enough response but more relaxed than my old Cartels.

Finally I have my new set up sorted. Just need to get my wallet dusted off…....

Even though I’m at the bottom end of the recommended weight for the 157 Grip I think I might go for it over the 154 as it’s effective edge is so short anyway and it will give a bit of extra length for powder and high speed stuff whist no sacrificing the smooth flex. Any comments on this decision?

Cheers

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 22 November 2010 03:09 AM

Dr H,

Killing the reviews, nice job sir.

Salomon Grip is definitely a belter…....one of our favourites this season!

Just goes to show you should always try before you buy.

If you could post each review on each board page that’d be super helpful for any potential buyers…...nice for peeps to have a different perspective as our opinions aren’t gospel.

Thanks so much,

Tom

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 22 November 2010 10:13 AM

Yeah good work sir! Although I’m disspointed you felt the Fastplant was dead, for me it’s one of the most lively rockered boards out there and unbelievably stable for reverse camber. But like you said perhaps you needed another couple of kilos to power through the flex with.

Good work on the GRIP. Funnily enough, our tester Ben who rode it at the board test has pretty much your stats and also found the GRIP to be his favourite snowboard on the tests.

Dr H

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 22 November 2010 11:32 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. This has really shown me that you can read all the reviews in the world but there is no substitute for trying boards if you can even if it’s only limited time at an indoor slope. Having said that all the boards I tried performed like the reviews suggested in ‘most’ ways. For me it was the flex that was the biggest issue. I’m not a very powerful or heavy rider so that’s probably why.

Rich - I really was disappointed by the Fastplant as I expected it to be much much better. I reckon it’s a weight thing, some one heaver would propbably get more out of it. Perhaps the 151 would be better for me but that’s too short for an all mountain board I reckon.

I’ll get the reviews up on the pages as suggested. Thnaks for the input.

Cheers

Dr H

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 22 November 2010 12:42 PM

Guys

Any thought on the 154 v 157 decision I have to make?

Cheers

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 22 November 2010 01:10 PM

If you intend to use it more and more in the Alps then get the 157. If it’s Dome riding and the occasional trip to the mountains then the 154. If the 57 felt good then go with it.

Dr H

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 22 November 2010 01:31 PM

Well I only get away to the Alps (or the States) about twice a year, so a total of 2 weeks. Other riding, when I do it, is in domes but I don’t go that often to be honest. My last board has lasted me over 5 years and I’m only replacing becuase I’m bored of it!

Just never had a board as short as 154 except for my very first board. Maybe it’s purely a mental thing…....

Search the Forum: