Posted: 21 November 2010 07:19 AM
Hey everyone,
so i’m an intermediate rider looking to pick up a new board for the season. i’m looking for something that can handle the mountain when i go out with my friends who ski but i also want to be able to take it to the park. I a beginner in the park but am looking to spend more time there this season, especially looking to do some jibbing.
I am just under 5’10’’ and weigh 180 lbs with a boot size of 11.
A couple of boards that i’ve been looking at are the Rossi One MagTek and the Ride Machete.
My budget is 400-500.
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks!
Posted: 21 November 2010 07:56 AM
The Rossi One MagTek is more all-mountain freestyle, it has a setback stance, (probably) directional flex and a stiffer flex so not the best in the park. The Ride Machete has been getting good reviews and is more park focused in it’s flex and centred stance.
A couple more to research:
- K2 Parkstar
- K2 Fastplant
- Lib Tech Skate Banana and T. Rice Pro C2
- Salomon Grip and Drift / Drift Rocker
Lots of others from Never Summer, Burton, etc. Look for something that isn’t super soft, a true twin and reverse camber to progress into the park. You’ll be able to take it all over the mountain minus deep pow and double black chutes and steeps.
Posted: 21 November 2010 08:08 AM
Hey Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I’ll definitely take a look at those suggestions.
thanks again
Posted: 21 November 2010 10:35 PM
Hey Steve,
So after looking at all your suggestions I think I’m leaning towards the Ride Machete. My second choice is the lib tech T.Rice Pro C2 but all the reviews that I’ve looked at say that it’s pretty stiff.
I’ve been riding a 155, should I stick with that size?
Thanks
Posted: 22 November 2010 12:08 AM
Use the tech specs on the manufactures websites to determine what weight range puts your 180 lbs in the middle. For example at weight range of 150 - 210 would put 180 right in the centre so that board would perform the best as it was designed for with yourself… doesn’t mean the board is still right for you, just that it’s the right model if you decide to go for it. Once you figure that out you can see if you can slide up and down the length ranges without straying too far from that sweet spot.
I ride a 155 K2 Parkstar as my park/slasher board, looking at this years specs for the board the weight range is 130 - 200 lbs. I clock in at 170 lbs so it puts me 10 pounds or so above the sweet spot but I sized down since I wanted to do more freestyle. The 157 would have been better looking at the specs but again, you can size up or down depending on what you want to do with the board.
Another important thing to note is your boot size, an 11 US pretty much means you need a wide board to accommodate your larger feet. Looking at the Machete that pretty much makes the 157W the choice for you… larger sizes put you closer to the bottom end of the weight specs meaning the board may be stiffer to you then a heavier rider on the same length. On the T. Rice they don’t make wides in those model however they say the “pointy” model works for 10.5+ boots… you would definitely need to see the board in person and put a size 11 boot on it to see the overhang just to be sure.
Posted: 22 November 2010 10:23 AM
I’m going to stick my ore in here.
I’ve just spent another afternoon on my Rossi Angus and I think I’m in love! Having ridden the stiffer JDUB for the last 2 seasons which is a fine snowboard but a bit of an animal, the Angus is a revolation. The board is firm netween the bindings but pretty soft in the nose and tail. It feels like it runs a lot shorter than a standard cambered board, but as soon as you put it on an edge the effective edge feels long and the grip is immense, especially because it feels like the gripping edge focuses around the feet. Some people that have ridden Amptek and Camrock say they lack a bit of pop… there is a little element of truth in it, a standard cambered board would pop harder, but for the benefits associated with this profile I’m 100% convereted. The best thing is that I felt my switch rididng improve almost instantly, I was riding steep moguls, straighlining bumpy pistes and doing hand dragging carves switch! And licker approaches switch… well I just can’t wait to hit up the Atomic Superpark this week and get some cab spins off some of the medium sized booters.
If you are worried that the One might be a little stiff, look at the 158mW Angus… trust me, this board doesn’t need wavy edges to grip.
Regarding the T-Rice, it’s not a really firm flexing board. Probably a 6.5. Less stiff than the Never Summer SL and a touch stiffer than the Burton Custom Flying V. A great choice for hooning it!
Steve, good tp see you back on the forums buddy!