First Board and bindings and could use some advice!

Justin_p

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-11-17

Posted: 17 November 2010 06:16 AM

Howdy all!

Got a few questions that I’m hoping someone can give me some advice on.  First, I’ve been snowboarding off and on for about 8 years but never owned a board because I only go about 3-4 times a year and always rented… :-(  .  BUT, times have changed and its time for me to get a board!

I’m 6’2, 215-220lbs and I wear a size 12 shoe.  I’ve been reading around that i’m going to need a wide board and have found a few that I like and was wondering if anybody had any advice/thoughts on them or suggestions for others.  I’m trying to keep the price under $400, but would consider going a little higher if there was a huge difference in board quality.

I know that I’m probably going to want an all-mountain freestyle board that i can take into the park as i get better.  The boards i’ve been looking at are:

Burton Deuce 163W
K2 Anagram 163W
K2 Raygun 164W (available in 160w)

Found a 2010 Burton Custom (162W) that’s a 2nd for only $300, but the size table says that a 162W is for riders 150lbs - 200lbs so i wasn’t sure if this one would be alright for me.
I also found 2010’s model of the Forum Image 161W for only $191, but I know nothing of Forum snowboards.

Like I said above, I’m also open to any suggestions on any other board!

I’ve also seen that if i didn’t want to go with a wide board i could go with binding risers, but I’ve not seen anybody comment on this.  Does this change the way a board rides?  Would anybody recommend this or recommend I don’t do this?  Only reason I’m asking is b/c i’ve seen regular boards with a waist width of like 1-1.5cm less than the wide boards and didn’t really know how much that 1-1.5cm actually hurts.

Last question is this: should i wait to buy my boots and bindings together, or can i buy the bindings before buying the boots?  I guess, more specifically, are there certain types of boots that go with only one kind of bindings?  I know about the boots that click into bindings being different than the ones you “ratchet” down over your boot, but do most any boots work with “ratchet” bindings (assuming they’re not clip-in boots)?  I apologize for my vocabulary…but i’m not real familiar with snowboarding equipment terms, so sorry!

Anyway, thats it.  I know its a lot, but I would really appreciate any help.  Oh, and I am unable to go check out any boards in person.  I’m in the Army on a deployment to beautiful Afghanistan right now (which, by the way, has some nice lookin mountains that if they weren’t filled with insurgents and IEDs would probably be excellent for snowboarding) and i’ll be getting back stateside in like 2.5 months.

Thanks again for any advice!!

Added edit - I saw on another post about the burton.com board finder and it suggested (100% match) a Blunt 162W

Justin_p

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 18 November 2010 04:52 AM

Also, while lookin around i found the GNU Carbon Credit BTX and the Ride Machete.  I’ve read several reviews of the Machete (both this sites and other riders) and the machete has gotten really solid reviews. I found a 162W and 164W in the Machete and a 162W and 165W in the Carbon Credit…any suggestions?

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 19 November 2010 05:15 AM

Hey Justin,

I can hopefully help you out a bit.  At the shop I work it we sell the Deuce, Anagram and Raygun.  The Deuce is cambered while the Anagram and Raygun are rockered.  The Anagram is a light rocker (catch-free) where the Raygun rocker zone is a little larger.  The Deuce and Anagram are twin while the Raygun is directional twin.  With the popularity of rockered boards I would definitely push you more towards the K2 ones especially since the park is your goal.  That being said the Anagram is more a true twin with it’s shape and stance, that is what you need in the park to get comfortable riding switch.  So of those three I would direct you more towards the Anagram.

The 2010 Custom and Forum are both cambered, you did good to look at the weight ratings on the decks!  A board doesn’t know how tall you are but it will know how heavy.  What I like to do for a new rider like yourself is find a deck that lines up around your chin and puts your weight right in the centre of the range of that length of deck…  that will at least let you know you are in the ballpark with that deck.

Bindings wise the industry has moved away from step-in bindings.  Ratchet bindings are the way to go when starting, there are some hybrid quick-entry bindings (Flows, Contrabands, Cinch) but they feel different compared to the strap-in kind so I wouldn’t make them your first binding…  try before you buy really applies to those types IMHO.

Bindings are personally preference, I like Ride…  all aluminum construction, webbed toe strap, wedgie footbeds, nice price tag.  Drakes, Burton, K2…  all are good.

You are right in wanting to buy your boots and bindings together, that way you are sure to know they work together.  Technically speaking getting the boots and bindings from the same manufacture should mean the fit is great but just try them at the shop to make sure (they should have no problem pulling a binding out to see how the boot fits in the baseplate).

The Carbon Credit and Machete are nice boards as well…  however I think you are leaving your price range unless they are last season.

Hope all this helps, once you start snowboarding it’s damn hard to quit. :)

Justin_p

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 19 November 2010 05:23 AM

Hey Steve!

Thanks for the info.  The Carbon Credit and Machete aren’t really out of my price range.  I was wanting to stay right around $400; the CCS is $399 and the Machete is $429.  That’s an acceptable amount for me if the difference in quality is there.  In fact, the more I look at them, those are the two I now find myself trying to decide between.  I’ve read some reviews from riders that have ridden the Machete and CCS and love both of them.  Said they are really steady at higher speeds regardless of the surface. 

Do you have any insight about the CCS and Machete?  Would you recommend the Anagram over those based on price ($100 cheaper?) or is there a significant difference in quality?

Thanks again for the info!

Steve Medeiros

Video Section Hero
Total Posts: 408 Joined 2010-01-08

Posted: 19 November 2010 05:31 AM

The Machete probably is a little stiffer then the CCS however the CCS has magnetraction (improved grip on ice).  The Machete has a faster base too and it has been killing in the reviews from the past season so between the two I would go Machete, my personal opinion. :)

skip11

Shop Rider
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 110 Joined 2010-07-22

Posted: 19 November 2010 11:22 PM

I have a 2010 Machete and I would rate it as a 6/10 flex (I’m 5’5” 150lbs) so if you’re looking for a super buttery board this is not it. But it’s a great board for all mountain freestyle. The rocker on the machete is not insane (4mm nose and tail, flat between the bindings) so if you’re used to riding a cambered board, the transition will be easier on the Machete than the CCS.

Justin_p

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 20 November 2010 06:00 AM

thanks for the insight guys!  I decided to go with the Machete.  After reading all the reviews on it…i haven’t seen one bad thing written about it.  now, ON TO BINDINGS!! thanks again guys

zoryfl

zoryfl Avatar
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 20 November 2010 10:36 AM

For binding, you shouldn’t forget about our binding buying guide!

Have fun with your new ride and don’t forget to drop a review here when you had the chance to ride it!

Cheers, Tobi

Search the Forum: