Rossi Jdub - How soft is the flex?

Dr H

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 8 Joined 2010-11-12

Posted: 12 November 2010 02:46 PM

I always seem to have chosen board that are too stiff for me and this time I’m determined to get something I can flex without too much effort. Should help with just messing around and presses etc.

I tried a Salomon Grip and really liked the shape and flex. It seems fairly soft but not too soft as to be unstable. Not sure if the ease of pressing was helped by the shape as it have a very long nose and tail rocker.

I really like the idea of the Rossi Jdub as it seems to have a similar shape in terms of the amptek. I sit exactly in the middle of the recommended weight range for the 158 (which actually seem quite low for a board of this size0 but cannot demo one as no one in the UK ahs one in stock.

So my question is - does anyone know how stiff/soft the Jdub is? Some sites list it as soft, this site says 8/10, Rossi website says 7/10 overall with stiffer tips and softer waste. I really want something I can flex and have fun on but that still has some stability for carving and high speed stuff - is the Rossi up to the job?

Cheers

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 12 November 2010 03:09 PM

Hi Dr H,

The JDub is quite firm flexing. The new freestyle amptek tips make it much more playful and buttery than previous season’s but it is still deffinitely in the firmer freestyle snowboard categories.

If you like the idea of a mediou flexing board with early rise tips, as you’ve mentioned there is the Salomon Grip. You could also look at the Atomic Hatchet or Axum which are both playful freestyle focused snowboards. There is the YES Typo and Rossingol Taipan which have Amptek/camrock profiles and medium flexes. Then there is the Signal Omni which is a little bit softer and unbelievably playful or you could try and find the all new Ride DH 2.4 which is the rockered DH with a touch of camber between the bindings for those that aren’t quite ready to commit to full rocker quite yet.

I love the JDub (Infac I own a 2006/07 model) but it’s definitely for aggresive riders who want punch and pop over playfulness. I think if you bought t expecting a medium flexing snowboard yo might find it just a bit too stiff. My full cambered 158 version is a monster!

Rich

Dr H

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 12 November 2010 03:36 PM

Thanks for reply Rich.

I have to say that the data companies provide is really confusing. For example the Rossignol website puts the flex of the 2011 Jdub and the 2011 Taipan at exactly the same level - 7/10. However the Taipan has softer tips and stiffer waist as its the All Mountain Amptek whereas the JDub is freestyle Amptek which has stiffer tips and a softer waist.

If a board is easy to butter and press is it the stiffness of the nose/tail that affects it more than the waist?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 16 November 2010 10:41 AM

For sure. I have the Angus which uses the All Mountain Amptek. Between the bindings, the board is relatively firm which means it holds carves really well and doesn’t wash out on sketch snow. Put the board on it’s tail or nose and it’s so soft, it just butters without even thinking. If you’re coming from camber it’s a strange feeling that takes a bit of time to get used too. When the Board is straighlining I find that lifting the tips up from the binding makes the board feel really stable, I was riding some 12m table top jumps at Kaprun with really steep transitions, the kind that send you up instead of along and the Angus felt increadibly easy and un-catchy, I was ready to spin within a couple of hits, it would have taken me longer on standard camber. The JDub’s stiffer tips and extended camber means that the board offers lots of pop which is what you want for riding big jumps and pipe, the softer waist is relative, but means that the board doesn’t flex like a door. I’d look at the Taipan and Angus if I were you.

Dr H

Snowboard Virgin
Rank

Posted: 16 November 2010 08:59 PM

Hi Rich

Thanks again for the reply. I saw you video review of the K2 Fastplant which looks like it could be a good ‘do anything’ board with a nice flex. I’m demoing one on Friday at The Chill Factore in Manchester. I’m also lining up a demo of a Never Summer SLR and the EVO at later date. I’m determined to try before I but this time and get it right!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar

Posted: 17 November 2010 06:35 PM

THe fastplant is the ideal board to have for the domes and then take out for a weeks park riding and piste bashing. SLR is stiff and powerfull for freeriding and big jumps and the EVO is a great do everything freestyle board.

Enjoy the testing and leave a review when you’ve ridden them!

Rich

Search the Forum: