salomon special2/rome anthem/capita black death

producer

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-11-10

Posted: 10 November 2010 03:12 PM

Hi all..(sorry longish post - in short am trying to choose between the 3 boards in the heading…)

I have done about 20 weeks of snowboarding spread over the last 10-12 years or so. I’m 5 11, weigh about 188 pounds, size 9.5/10 Uk boot.

The last five years or so I’ve been riding a Salomon Fastback 163 which I loved (not sure which year but it’s black and red…) It’s now now wrecked as the edge is split so am trying to choose it’s replacement - I loved the Fastback for it’s speed and it’s stability and how it roode in powder - I always felt confident flying around on it and it never really let me down.  I’ve tried finding old reviews to gauge what was said about it but without success.

I guess my riding is all mountain/freeride - I like doing jumps, will (very rarely) give the half pipe a go but as I only get to ride two or three weeks a year (and am not good enough in the park) I don’t spend much time there other than going through doing jumps on the way somewhere… when it’s available I love the powder, am pretty reasonable riding the whole mountain but haven’t really spent a lot of time riding switch or doing tricks etc though would like to improve these as I’ve neglected practising thesethings in favour of getting fatsetr and better on powder

I’ve done loads of reading and have narrowed it down (I think) to 2/3 boards namely:

Salomon Special 2
Rome Anthem
Capita Black Death

I’m trying to decide which to pick - feel biased towards Salomon as liked the Fastback so much but an a bit wary of how it’ll perform in powder (though am attracted to it as it sounds better switch and for jumps etc than the other two).  The Rome and the Capita both sound great too and are maybe a bit more like what I am used to from the Fastback (??) - I’m also trying to work out of they are a higher level of board generally than the Salomon (based only and probably stupidly by me on the price differential - I don’t think that’ll be the case but thought i’d ask anyway..)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the respective merits of these three - cheers in advance and sorry for the long post…

zoryfl

Moderator
zoryfl Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 546 Joined 2009-08-22

Posted: 12 November 2010 12:53 PM

Hey there producer,
you liked your previous Salomon, why not just stick with one.
I don’t see a reason why you shouldn’t go with the Special II. Salomon makes decent boards and surely the price does not always say something about the quality of a ride!
Looks like the Special is a really nice deck for going fast and charging down the piste. Some rocker/camber hybrid would be able to provide some more float in the pow but you would be lacking the incredible edgehold of an cambered deck like this one, on the piste!

Hope this helped a little, cheers Tobi

producer

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-11-10

Posted: 12 November 2010 01:14 PM

yeah cheers mate - i went round in circles that much I decided to stick with what I know and got the salomon - it arrives today - will let you know how it works out - cheers p

Search the Forum: