new board comments and advice please

eastcoastdave

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-11-03

Posted: 03 November 2010 08:13 PM

Hi

  I have been riding since 1994, have gone threw a few boards since then but time for new set up. Some background I am 183lbs. And size 9 boots us. I ride all- mountain, off-piste, trees, and groomers. I am not a park rat but will go threw one a day maybe. I love to go fast and carve hard! My current setup is 2004 Palmer Honeypro 3 with Flow team bindings and Salomon f-24 boots. I just bought new salomon malamute boots and Flow nxt frx bindings. I know about Flow so no crap for the bindings I have a permanent foot injury that works well with flow bindings. 
  So my questions are what I should get for a new board. I have never ridden a rockered board and am not sure I would like it because I love to ride fast! Some boards I am thinking about are Nidecker ultralight 163 Burton T-7 162 Arbor A frame 162 Jones Flagship 161. Any help would be appreciated. One local shop recommended the Rosi Jdub without rocker they have one left over from 2 years ago
  thanks Dave

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 03 November 2010 09:29 PM

Hi Dave,

Haha, no need to apologise for using Flow bindings… they’re not my bag but that certainly doesn’t mean they’re rubish. Infact I’m quite impressed by the way they’ve developed the design over the last few years, I might have to give them a blast, although I’ll be sure to make sure my identity is completely hidden!... joking.

Ok so the boards you have listed are pretty much a who’s-who of the best freeride boards on the planet. Firstly, I’de take away the JDub. I have one it’s an absolute beast for carving and pops ike a rocket, but it doesn’t float great and it can be hard work. I like it for riding big pipes and carving on hardpack and sometimes for big park features but not really for freeriding.

The Ultralight is one of the best snowboards out there as fra as I am concerned. Not terribly stiff, but responsive, great on an edge and actually pretty easy to ride. It’s a progressive board with performance on tap. This is the board for you if you want to cruise with some days and hammer on others.

The A-Frame is an animal. A point and shoot gun that should be ridden at a long length and kept for powder days. Responsive and stiff all the joys of camber, but no forgiveness. Beautiful board.

Flagship: So boards that use the Camrock/Amptek profile are really agile and stable, two things that doen’t usually mix. Perfect for trees and perfect for big open faces. You won’t suffer from no grip as the effective edge in carves shifts down further from the start of the effective edge pretty much to your feet. If you are feeling daring, you could do much worse than this board… awsome. Also worth checking the Rossi Experience.

I hope that helps. I’ll take a while to reply as I’ve just moved to Austria and don’t have internet access. I’m in the pub at the minute.

Rich

eastcoastdave

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-11-03

Posted: 04 November 2010 06:54 PM

Hi Rich
      Thanks for the input. I think i am leaning towards the ultralight but should I get the cam rock profile or cambered ?

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 07 November 2010 05:50 PM

Well the cambered ultralight is pretty easy to ride, so it’s not like you need camrock to make the board manageable. I was riding my Rossi Angus yesterday and it grips amazingly, it has almost the same profile as Camrock. The only thing it didn’t have was the camber punch out of turns, however there was enough tail to slash. If you’re feeling like you want to try something new, why not try Camrock. I like it, but for treeriding I still like a bit of camber in the tail.

Search the Forum: