Posted: 01 November 2010 06:23 AM
I’d describe my level as beginner/intermediate. I’m after an all mountain board. So far I’ve focused on turning and getting some confidence at speed on piste. This season I’m going to branch out and try some off piste, some jumps and maybe give the park a go. I’m looking for a board I can progress on but won’t grow out of too quickly.
To start with, I’m confused about sizing. I’m 1.62m tall, 63kgs with 24 cm feet (not sure what that translates to in boot size). What size board would you recommend? Some guides recommend up to 151 but that sound pretty big to me.
I’m considering The Omatic Boron and I’ve seen a Technine MFM Pro 151 for a good price (but am worried it might be too advanced/large). But I’m open to all suggestions.
I’m in Japan away from the snow so I don’t have a local shop to drop in on, and even if I did we probably wouldn’t be able to understand each other so I’ll probably buy online. I have to buy a full set up so price is a factor.
Sorry for the nonspecific questions. Any info is much appreciated.
Daniel
Posted: 01 November 2010 09:53 AM
Hi Daniel,
First off I highly recommend reading the beginners guide on the site, will help with a lot of the info you need to get started.
The major factors in determining the board length for you is based on mainly riding skills, preferred terrain and your weight.
If you are new and/or want to jib (ride rails, boxes, table tops) you size down. If you are advanced and/or ride more backcountry you size up. The starting length for boards are better determined these days by the weight ratings manufactures put on their boards, you want your weight to be as close to the mid point of a weight range on a board. A board has no idea how tall you are but it does know how heavy.
Start with that and read some reviews and then you’ll have a better idea of what potentially works for you.