Which size Rossignol Angus for backcountry freestyle (165lbs)?

Gene

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-10-25

Posted: 25 October 2010 06:27 PM

Hi,

I’m moving up to Revelstoke, BC for the winter and want to pick up a board that’ll work well for hitting backcountry booters, drops, etc. There’s no park at Revelstoke so we’re planning on building some stuff in the backcountry. I’m looking at twin tips with some rocker so I can land switch into powder. I’ve heard good things about the Angus and can get a killer deal on it through my local shop. I can throw 5s and front flips and am hoping to work on some new stuff this winter. I weight about 165lbs and am 5’11”. The guys at the shop said I should be fine on a 157 Angus due to the rockered tips but I’m a bit worried that it’s too small for the deep pow at Revy. This’ll be my first board with any rocker so it’s hard for me to gauge how much it helps. I was personally leaning towards getting a 161 since I’ve ridden a bunch of 159-160 cambered twin tips in the pow before and they didn’t feel too big for throwing stuff but felt a bit small on the landings.

Anyone have experience with the Angus and landing into deep pow? How well does it keep the nose from catching? Will a 157 be enough or should I step up to the 161? For comparison I ride a 156 board in the park and a 162 powder specific board. They’re both regular camber.

Thanks a ton!

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 26 October 2010 02:31 PM

Hi Gene,

I’m planning to take my most recent purchase a brand spanking new 2010 Rossi Angus 157 for a spin in about 10 days time at one of Austria’s many glaciers, I’ll make sure I find some powder and try stomping some landings in it. My gut feeling would be that a 157 would probably be ok, but i’ll get back to you asap.

Rich

Gene

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 2 Joined 2010-10-25

Posted: 26 October 2010 05:44 PM

Thanks a lot Rich. Look forward to hearing back.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 07 November 2010 06:03 PM

So I just wrote a really long reply and lost it, so I’m going to keep this short.

The Angus is amazing! It was unbelievably steady on a flat base and held a great edge in a carve. I didn’t get to ride it in any powder, but I’m sure it would dominate. My thoughts are that the 157 felt perfect for me and you are a little bit heavier and a bit taller too. If I were you, I would consider the 159 Rossi One. It;s a very similar board with the added bonus of magnetraction.

Rich

Search the Forum: