Total Beginner….Totally Clueless!

Jo16

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-10-21

Posted: 21 October 2010 02:05 PM

Hey, I’m doing my first ever season this winter…very much a beginner, having only had a few lessons! So massively in need of some advice as to what board I should get? All reviews seem to be good, so the more i’m reading into it, the more confused I am getting. I’m a girl rider, size charts tell me I should be looking for 151-153cm boards, this is also what I learned on. I’m looking for a bit of an all-rounder as not sure what i’m going to enjoy doing the most. Also, as i’ll be there 4/5 months I need something that is going to still be useable when I start to improve…....

Help please…...........!! :-)

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 21 October 2010 02:13 PM

Hi Jo16,

Doing your first season, nice one! It’ll change your life for good, for better and for worse. You’ll certainly never be satisfied with a 9 to 5 ever again. I’m packing mine in next week after 3 and a half years to live in Austria… lots of snowboarding but probably poverty too!

Ok regarding your season. Where are you spending the season? Are you doing a season to push your snowboarding , or do you intend to enjoy all aspects i.e. will you be up for powder mornings or in bed ‘til 10 with a hangover? Secondly, can you just list your stats so I can be sure what size to match you to? Also what is your foot size (UK or US mans sizing if possible).

Cheers

Rich

Jo16

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-10-21

Posted: 21 October 2010 02:26 PM

Wow Rich…..speedy reply…cheers!

Heading out to Courchevel…..6 weeks till start date now….counting down the days! Nice one moving to Austria…..defintily worth the poverty I reckon!

Right…..stats are 5’5”, 60kg or just over 9stone, foot size 6. Mainly doing the season to hopefully become an alright-ish boarder but i’m out there doing bar work so there is a possibility of a few hang over days, will deffo be wanting to make the most of the snow and mountains whilst i’m out there though. I’m also on a bit of a tight budget….been looking at last season boards at the mo as there still seems to be sales on etc. Been looking at the burton feather…..but like i say totally clueless…..

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 21 October 2010 02:32 PM

Hey Jo,

Well you’ve come to the right place. I don’t know what your stats are so I can’t advise you on board size, but below are a list of boards that I’ve heard good things about:

Ride Promise - all-mountain medium flexing board, perfect for progression. A friend of mine recently did her first season on the Ride Promise and loved it. Took her from beginner to strong intermediate without any problems.

Burton Deja Vu - A little more focused on the park than the Promise but this board promises to be a lot of fun all over the mountain…..and effortless to ride.

Rossignol Diva - One of my trainees took this out for a spin and absolutely loved it. It’s easy to pop and butter (your learn all about what those words mean), easy to turn, but doesn’t mind being ridden at faster speeds.

Never Summer Pandora - Never Summer make great boards and the Pandora is no exception.

K2 Fling - zero camber and medium flex….easy to ride. The only comment we have for it on the website is: “Had a wee demo on this board today. Oh my god. It made me quiver like a teenage virgin. Its sooooooooo nice and I have to have it within my clutches by next weekend!”

I’d advise that you try and test as many boards as you can…...especially as I’m a chap and I haven’t ridden any of these boards.

Tom

Tom Ewbank

Administrator
Tom Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 115 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 21 October 2010 02:35 PM

P.s - Which bar are you working at? Rich and I did two seasons in Courchevel 5 years ago.

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 21 October 2010 02:42 PM

Courchevel! I did two season there 2005/06 and 2006/07. Which bar are you working in? There are some great spots to ride around Courchevel… some good bars to drink in too… stay away from Calico at 1850, you won’t get any snowboarding done!

I would look at a fairly entry level snowboard to start with, but obviously not something that screams PUNTER!

If you click on the link to ‘Snowboard Selecta’ at the top of the page. In the boxes click

RIDING TERRAIN:
Park
Freeride

BOARD SHAPE:
Directional twin or directional

Women specific

COST:
Medium

Have a look at these boards and shortlist any boards or features you are not sure about and I’ll try and point you in the right direction.

You fall into a category which is really broad. A good place to start is with a board like the Salomon Radiant, Nitro Fate, Forum Star and Endeavor Boyfriend. These boards are good boards to look though, check through the spec and have a look in the ‘Snowboard Guide’ in particular the ‘basics’ and ‘science’ tabs. These should give you a good understanding of what features are likely to encourage fast learning.

Rich

Jo16

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-10-21

Posted: 02 November 2010 06:15 PM

Hey guys

Ahh wicked….I went out to Courchevel in the summer to check it out and loved it! Reckon its going to be even better in a months time :-) Well, the company i’m working for have just built a new bar…so to be completely honest I haven’t got a clue which one I’m working in but I guess i’ll soon found out!

So…Thanks so much for the info on boards…...I’ve taken the plunge and gone for the nitro fate….which leads me to my next question….....BINDINGS!?!?!?

I already have boots and I guess I need to go and try some different bindings with my boots, but have no idea where to start….other than I think I’m pretty settled on getting strap bindings. Any advice you can give me would be muchly appreciated…?

Thanks

Rich Ewbank

Administrator
Rich Ewbank Avatar
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts: 1567 Joined 2009-03-04

Posted: 03 November 2010 08:20 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve just moved to Austria and I don’t have internet yet so I’m popping into the local pub when I get an opportunity, but it’s only open for a couple of evenings a week… life without internet is like going back in time.

Sounds like you are working for Pleisure who have just built a new bar. It’ll be a small world if you are. I worked for them for two seasons.

Nice one with the Nitro Fate, very nice board, and absolutely perfect for your level and doing a season of progressing. As far as bindings go, check out the Union Cadet, they have cool snow leopard graphics and the Drake Jade too, both softish flexing bindings that’ll look nice on your new deck.

Rich

Jo16

Snowboard Virgin
Rank
Total Posts: 4 Joined 2010-10-21

Posted: 04 November 2010 12:51 AM

Awesome….how’s it going out there? Snowy snowy snowy? You out there just for the season or is it a long term move?

Well it is a small world indeed…I am working for Pleisure…though please don’t tell them they have somebody so totally and utterly clueless about boarding joining the team haha! Saying that though it was my mate who told me about them, who also told me to check out this site…so I guess it makes sense! Well if you decide to have a mid-season visit come say hi in the bar….:-)

Cheers for all the info, it is massively appreciated, you’ve been really helpful. Will be checking the suggested bindings out asap.

Have a fab winter :-)

Search the Forum: