Posted: 18 October 2010 05:53 PM
Hi Guys,
I’m currently visiting some relatives in Munich (leaving on Wednesday) and just saw the HEAD AK SC I. 2011 for 200€ (500€ to 299€) less than the original price.
I currently riding a HEAD Team Intelligence 2005(or 2004) and I planed to replace it this season. As I Like the Intelligence technology and the quality of HEAD I was again looking for a HEAD. I’m basically a Freerider and love to ride fast and also besides the tracks - but actually more speeding down the hills. I don’t really need a board from the current season and I was actually looking for HEAD ICT (2010), but when I saw the AK for 200€ off, I was starting thinking about buying it. But when I ready the review here, I started to ponder, because I do ride more on the tracks than on beside it (sadly).
So my question: is the Snake Camber really that bad in riding on the track/carving? I read somewhere else that this is a really fast board with a really good curve handling (smoothly changing sides). Is anyone here that already has experiences with this board and can tell me something about the handling on the tracks?
Thanks in advanced,
Chris
Posted: 18 October 2010 06:19 PM
Hey there Chris,
I’m not 100% sure (but pretty close to it) that Rich one day said that this one was one of the most disappointing rides at the board test.
Check the review page! Small excerpt:
To be honest, I was disappointed, I really wanted the AK to rock as it looks so nice and despite the tennis racket and race ski heritage, the snowboard side of the business is run by cool people who are extremely passionate about what they do. Unfortunately I think Head need to go back to the drawing board with the AK.
Posted: 18 October 2010 07:03 PM
Hi Chris,
Yeah I’m afraid it was me that wrote the Head AK review this year, and it’s not often that I feel I need to write a bad review of a snowboard. I just couldn’t get on with this snowboard. There are some snowboards that certain aspects of the design I’m not mad about like the 100% reverse camber in the Lib Tech Snow Mullett or the Combo Platter profile in the Forum Holy Moly, but the AK’s Snake profile just completely ruined the AK, and I feel bad about saying it because it’s only my personal opinion, but I can’t recommend a snowboard that I found that poor to ride.
I’ll try and explain what I think is wrong with the design, but first have a quick look at the second collage on this article, the picture of the AK will help you to visualise what I’m explaining - ISPO Freeride snowboard article
So as you can see there is a very pronounced pivot rocker between the bindings which means the front half of the board rises about 10 degrees off the snow when weight is applied to the rear half of the boards. When I carve on harder snow, I initiate the carve by putting weight through the front of the board, so essentially on the AK you are canting the front half of the board into the turn. As I travel through the carve, my weight moves back toward my rear foot so I can use the flex of the board to power you through the carve and pop me out of it. With the new AK snake camber profile this movement kind of feels like a mini see-saw (set of scales) and instead of staying in a smooth radius I was pushed into a sliding turn… it felt soo sketchy. And it wasn’t that amazing in powder either, in unridden powder it was ok, but there are snowboards that can do both much better.
Like I said I don’t want to be dissing somebodies hard work especially as Eric was kind enough to write our freeride guide last year and the guys at Head are really nice, at the least the people I have dealt with, but I really can’t recommend the AK. In my opinion, you’d be much better off trying to find one of last year’s AK’s or going for the Holster.
I’m sure people will disagree with my thoughts, but I would suggest that if you still want to give the AK a go, you should test it first.
Rich
Posted: 19 October 2010 02:06 AM
Cheers Guys.
@zoryfl: that was the exact part that lets me start this thread ;)
@Rich: Thanks a lot for the clarification. Now I know what you meant with those lines and now I’m aware of it. Gear Finder on head’s website says I should buy the i.CT KERS. It’s really really expensive, though. Guess I will keep looking for the 2010 iCT or Holster.
I guess if anyone from head may have read that, they wouldn’t be miffed ;) And this won’t keep me away from buying a head board :)
Thanks again for your help!
Posted: 19 October 2010 11:01 PM
btw: I was really disappointed, because I hadn’t found a single shop that sells HEAD boards. Are they so rare? Nevertheless, after some advises I bought the Lip Tech Skate Banana. It sounded like the board I was looking for - except for the freestyle part :D.
Posted: 21 October 2010 02:24 PM
Yeah HEAD boards seem to have a good network of shops in the US but in Europe (where they’re based) they seem to be hard to find
Wow big change with the skate banana. From Powder specific to freestyle park snowboard.
Just incase you were still looking for a Head retailer:
Filarinskis also has one of last year’s Head AK’s for a discount price: If you’re buying with Eiros it’ll be a deal! Head AK intelligence @ Filarinskis UK £280 ~ 330 Euros
Or find this year’s boards at TSA - http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/snowboards/head-snowboarding/
Posted: 21 October 2010 04:19 PM
Thanks for the links. I guess the shipping costs from UK to germany would be extremely high and 162 would be a bit to high. I found a german shop where they sell the last years AK plus the last years I.CT Intelligence (both nearly the same price), which I think would be a better board for me, than the AK, wouldn’t it?
Well, actually I was told that the skate banana is a good track riding board with a good powder handling and the ability to do some tricks, if I want. And it’s pretty good in icy sections. Other opinions? But I guess I have to try it before I can think about how to go on.