Posted: 14 October 2010 07:15 PM
Hey guys,
I posted here a while back when I was looking for my first board, and had some great tips so thought I’d try you guys again.
I bought a Burton Hate back in April as my first board, and its been great; really helped me to progress and now I’m starting to hit boxes (50/50s) and butter a little. I’ve only been riding in the Chillfactore in Manchester so far since March, probably about 35 hours or so worth now.
I’m going away in January to Meribel, but I’m considering lookinga t getting a second board that would be more suitable for more mountain riding, mainly because even in the indoor slope when I get some speed up the Hate does feel quite unstable especially if the snow is a bit chopped up/bumpy. Some of this is obviously going to be me as I’m still a new rider, but I do sometimes feel the board just slipping out from under me.
I’ve been asking about and various people have suggested a few boards and a few have caught my eye:-
K2 Darkstar
K2 Parkstar
Salomon Grip
Signal Omni
I’ve listed both the Darkstar and Parkstar because equal number of people seem to have dismissed one over the other, and enough people have said that even though the Parkstar has Park in it’s name, it can handle the mountain.
I’m about 70kg, 5’9”, size 7.5 boot.
Length wise I was thinking a 155 in the Darkstar/Parkstar, 154 in the Grip and 156 in the Omni seem to be the best lengths available?
Many thanks in advance for the help.
Cheers!
Posted: 15 October 2010 04:12 AM
You can ride the Parkstar all over the mountain, I have the 155 and it performed well however I didn’t hit much pow in the end of the season when I got it so I can’t directly comment on that.
The Darkstar has the flatline tech, so no early rise tip and tail like the Parkstar jib rocker profile. The Darkstar probably has better pop due to the flat profile through the whole board where as the Parkstar will handle pressing rails, boxes and butters a bit better. If ultimately you are going to be spending more time in the park overall with this board then the Parkstar will help step your game up in that arena. If you want to explore more of the mountain and just a touch of park then the Darkstar will have more umph in it’s profile for that job.
I’m 5’11”, 77 kg, US 9 boot and ride the 155… I think it’s the right length in the Parkstar unless you want to freeride a little more then a 157 Darkstar would be a better ticket.
Posted: 15 October 2010 10:19 AM
Thanks for the comments; a few other people have mentioned that the Darkstar can sink in powder, but i imagine the parkstar might do a little better due to the rocker?
Also, don’t suppose you’ve had to chance to ride the other boards mentioned as a comparison?
I do like the playfulness of my current board so of the two K2 boards I think the Parkstar does appeal more, especially with the number of people that have confirmed its fine for riding the mountain, think it’s likely to be top of my list now when I go to test boards.
Posted: 19 October 2010 08:08 PM
Found a good deal on last year’s grip in a 154 http://www.noahsark.co.uk/salomon-grip-2010-p-3528.html so picked one up, and just arrived today; set it up and did a few presses and ollies (apologies to the neighbours downstairs) and it feels weigh easier than my Hate, even just here on the floor. Can’t wait to ride it properly.
Also, noticed that it has a little more camber than this year’s model which definitely looked to be flat camber and then rocker in the shop. Last year’s whilst having low camber definitely has some between the feet before the little bit of rocker.
Posted: 19 October 2010 08:12 PM
Haha just don’t put any guages in your skirting boards!
Not suprised that you think there is more camber in last year’s grip… there was. This year’s has early rise tips which means the length of board which is cambered has been reduced and hense its depth has been reduced. Does that make sense? In layman’s terms, there is less camber length to build camber depth.
Posted: 20 October 2010 08:27 AM
Ah yeah that does make sense, explains why when I was looking at the edges the camber on this year’s is barely noticeable.
I’ll try and get some pics up of my new board as soon as I can!